Wrestling

Rich

WWE released 3rd Quarter earning.  Network is at 1.46 million, down a bit from last quarter (WM) but up from last year.   Seemed to have leveled off at around 1.5 million as their subscriber universe.  WWE still talking like 3-4 million subs is their eventual expectation.

They gained 388,000 Subs.  Lost 455,000 subs.  WM is what attracts subs.  But they arent growing and it shows a lower interest in SummerSlam (which they tried to make bigger).

Profits for this quarter were $11 million and dividend is $9 million so they're barely covering the dividend. They are fine, and thank God they're not UFC where they lose money with less than $140 million profit, but profits after nine months this year are $25.8 million, up from $25.3 million last year. Dividend is $28 million. So as far as actual cash goes, at this point last year they had $102.4 million and at this time this year they're at $67.6 million. - Dave Meltzer

today is potentially D-day for TNA.  We will find out a judge's ruling on whether to extend Billy Corgan's temporary injunction against TNA.  If so, it means TNA cannot make any moves and likely means the company will end up in Corgan's hands.  If not, it likely means a quick "sale" of the company to Asper-led Anthem who will pay off Billy in return for 85% of the company.

http://business.financialpost.com/legal-post/leonard-asper-faces-rock-star-billy-corgan-in-match-over-future-of-wrestling-network

Interesting this is making the news...but no mention of the Nazi connection yet.  It's only a matter of time...

So, WWE put Sasha vs Charlotte on last at HIAC last night and then proceeded to lay out a rather shitty match for them including putting the heel over on the babyface in her hometown.  Uh huh.

Judge denies Corgan's request for injunction.  This means TNA can continue to do business and make decisions without Billy's input.  This would seem to mean Asper's Anthem buys TNA .

There was talk of a Nov 1 deadline to pay Billy back so Im not sure if that is a TNA option or a Corgan option.  ie. I dont know if Billy can decline to be paid back and continue to be an investor or if TNA can pay him back and make him go away.  Billy had a clause whereby he could convert his loan into a 36% stake in TNA.

However, it is believed Dixie made a deal with Anthem to pay off Billy and gain 85% stake.  So its entirely possible that Dixie has promised deals that amounts to 121% of TNA.

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Why would anyone want to own or be involved with TNA at this point?  

Anthem wants it, presumably because of the content for The Fight Network.  They air quite a bit of TNA programming so we can only assume the ratings are decent (as far as decent for TFN).  Under the proposed deal, Anthem would own 85% and Aroluxe would own 10% but Aroluxe would run TNA (and in fact, their CEO is already acting as the CEO for TNA).  So Anthem more or less silent partners.

Aroluxe is the production company that employs the Harris Bros (the Nazi's) so their interest might be more fan-driven.  As part of the deal Aroluxe would produce TV at a reduced rate for a period of time.  So Aroluxe might feel if TNA continues long term, its consistent money plus prestige to their production portfolio.

Aroluxe's plan was to only tape 3-4 times a year.  So we're talking marathon tapings, which raises a lot of issues ofcourse.  But if they can get the expenses down considerably, they feel they can break even (or maybe even make a few bucks with the international TV deals) and hopefully begin to grow the company.

Anthem would probably gain access to the video library as 85% owners without paying the full value of the library so in that sense its significant content for The Fight Network.  Knowing WWE's two "non-binding" offers, might make Anthem and Aroluxe feel more at ease with taking a chance because in their minds, worse case scenario, they can always sell to WWE.  Although Anthem is likely to fold TNA and keep the library before they'd sell to WWE - they own another library WWE is interested in and wont sell.

Gawker founder and former CEO Nick Denton said in a blog post that the media company is settling its case with Hulk Hogan.

Denton did not disclose the terms of the settlement. However, court documents said the case was settled for $31 million plus part of the proceeds from Gawker's $135 million sale to Univision, according to Dow Jones Newswires and Reuters. The litigation had been financed by tech entrepreneur Peter Thiel, who had been outed as gay nine years ago by Gawker.

Anthem Sports & Entertainment and Impact Ventures Announce Credit Relationship

Toronto, Canada (November 3, 2016) - Anthem Sports & Entertainment Corp. and Impact Ventures, parent company of TNA Impact Wrestling, today announced that Anthem has provided a credit facility to TNA to fund operations.

Anthem Sports & Entertainment Corp. is a global sports media company that operates Fight Network, Impact Wrestling's exclusive broadcaster in Canada, as well as the exclusive worldwide digital streaming partner for all TNA programming. It is also an equity stakeholder of Impact Ventures.

The agreement includes the appointment of Anthem Executive Vice President Ed Nordholm to the Impact Ventures Board of Managers. The company will be managed by the Board with Mr. Nordholm representing the Board on all major operating and restructuring decisions. Dixie Carter will continue as Chair of the Company, as well as her position on the Board of Managers. Billy Corgan is no longer with the company.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

So why would they want Dixie involved at all anymore?

They probably dont, unless they've fallen for her southern belle routine (or there is some other *ahem* relationship as has been rumored involving Dixie).

But Dixie maintaining a role was always a condition of her selling.  Her dad had a deal in place to sell to Toby Keith which would have paid far more money but it was conditional on Dixie remaining in a face-saving position.  Toby wouldn't go for it so it fell apart.  Rumours have been she was looking to sell but only if she maintained 51%.  Clearly her demand has lessened to just maintaining an on-screen role and a part in management.

After everything that has come out, its amazing Asper wants any part of this at all but I guess no one ever accused the Asper's of being geniuses.

Observer:

There was a brief altercation and pull apart Sunday night involving Chris Jericho and Sin Cara while the Raw crew was traveling from Leeds, England, to today's Raw tapings in Glasgow, Scotland.

As of now, WWE hasn't made any kind of statement regarding the incident, although Sin Cara (real name Jorge Arias) was kicked off the bus the crew was traveling on.

The description of what happened was that Arias was making annoying noises while on the tour bus and even though people were telling him to stop, he kept doing it. This led to Jericho more forcefully telling him to stop, resulting in Arias telling him to f**k off. Words were exchanged and Arias threw a wild right at Jericho before everyone jumped in to break it up. Jericho bit Arias' finger during the skirmish.

Arias was then kicked off the bus.

One description was that he snapped in two seconds without any warning or reason.

****This would be Jericho's second altercation this year (first one being with Brock) and I think Sin Cara's third.  Sin Cara might not be long for WWE.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Observer:

There was a brief altercation and pull apart Sunday night involving Chris Jericho and Sin Cara while the Raw crew was traveling from Leeds, England, to today's Raw tapings in Glasgow, Scotland.

As of now, WWE hasn't made any kind of statement regarding the incident, although Sin Cara (real name Jorge Arias) was kicked off the bus the crew was traveling on.

The description of what happened was that Arias was making annoying noises while on the tour bus and even though people were telling him to stop, he kept doing it. This led to Jericho more forcefully telling him to stop, resulting in Arias telling him to f**k off. Words were exchanged and Arias threw a wild right at Jericho before everyone jumped in to break it up. Jericho bit Arias' finger during the skirmish.

Arias was then kicked off the bus.

One description was that he snapped in two seconds without any warning or reason.

****This would be Jericho's second altercation this year (first one being with Brock) and I think Sin Cara's third.  Sin Cara might not be long for WWE.

Bus Ride from Hell?    Did anyone challenge Lesnar and did Flair woooooooooOOO everyone while naked?

That made no sense. Having a hard time wrapping myself around that ending with Goldberg. A guy who was UFC Heavyweight champ just loses like that? So much for Paul Heyman's Beast Incarnate. It's like they're killing him off. Man, do the fans hate Roman Reigns.  He's bringing Rollins down with him. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That made no sense. Having a hard time wrapping myself around that ending with Goldberg. A guy who was UFC Heavyweight champ just loses like that? So much for Paul Heyman's Beast Incarnate. It's like they're killing him off. Man, do the fans hate Roman Reigns.  He's bringing Rollins down with him. 

I havent done the rounds yet to get the latest news but I felt the same way last night, thinking it was about the stupidest thing they could do.  I do know that in the last few days Goldberg signed on for more with WWE.  Prior to that, the only agreement was for this match.  So they came up with this finish after he signed a longer deal.

The idea, I assume, is this builds to a rematch.  It doesn't though.  Squashes dont build rematches.  But it will be how WWE tells the story now.  I imagine the story will be the invincible superhero Goldberg shocked/surprised the arrogant Brock who has never faced someone like Bill before.  And that's ok I guess.  I imagine they figured it wasnt going to be a great match and if you give the fans a 30 minute match, then thats all there is to see.  Do the squash and come back with the "real" match later.  You really screw the fans this way but because of the Network, they dont care about that as much.

As for Roman, I still dont get it.  He needs to go heel before the idea of him as a heel passes by.  Same thing happened with Cena - there was a window to turn Cena and make it a big deal and they anguished over it so long, they missed it.

I don't think it builds to a rematch, I think it was the best way possible to humanize Brock Lesnar so that he can actually go forward as part of the roster without the need for him to run through every single wrestler on it. This just took the aura off Brock in a big way.

Goldberg was gassed by the time he finished his entrance, but man .. physically, he's in great shape. He could probably do okay as a Rumble entry, but I doubt he has much more than that in him. I'll give him credit though - as quick as the match was, he still nailed the two spears and the jackhammer. Looked pretty good.

Also - RIP Shane.