Wrestling

Rich

On 2017-02-03 at 9:24 AM, Brandon said:

I'm amazed that the Baron is still alive?  He looked ancient back in the early 90's when he was on the Tony Condello wrestling show on tv...

Only 76.

Missing  Adnan Al-Kaissie and the High Flyers. AWA Saturdays at 6? :)

Was not one of the High Flyers in the Oly's?

I guess it was Brad Rheingans.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

3 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

That picture makes me sad for the guys who can't leave the business. 

Why? Plenty of people work their jobs into their 70's and 80's. Do you feel sad for them for wanting to stay active and work?

i don't think the Rock & Roll Express work much anymore. Gibson stopped working ages ago save for a few appearances. 

I say good for them. People still pay to see them. Why shouldn't they make some money and have some fun. 

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Why? Plenty of people work their jobs into their 70's and 80's. Do you feel sad for them for wanting to stay active and work?

i don't think the Rock & Roll Express work much anymore. Gibson stopped working ages ago save for a few appearances. 

I say good for them. People still pay to see them. Why shouldn't they make some money and have some fun. 

I feel pity for Morton because listening to him on a few podcasts he sounds really really down and out and completely living in the past.   

Even when they were in WCW in the mid/late 90's I thought it was sad because they looked old and the gimmick was really dated.  The fact that he has to do it still is just sad.  

When I watched the WFX shows it made me feel guilty that I supported guys like Nikolai Volkoff and other wash outs (mostly the bloated and drugged up ecw alumni) who really look like they hit rock bottom.    

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Most of their jobs are probably pretty different than professional wrestling, and certainly you don't believe every person who's working at that age is doing so just to stay active?

I suppose as long as they're doing it for fun, and not b/c they'll be living on the street if they don't, is what matters. If that's the case then good for them. There are enough sad stories about old wrestlers that my first assumption is usually that they're doing it b/c they have no choice.

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

I feel pity for Morton because listening to him on a few podcasts he sounds really really down and out and completely living in the past.   

Even when they were in WCW in the mid/late 90's I thought it was sad because they looked old and the gimmick was really dated.  The fact that he has to do it still is just sad.  

When I watched the WFX shows it made me feel guilty that I supported guys like Nikolai Volkoff and other wash outs (mostly the bloated and drugged up ecw alumni) who really look like they hit rock bottom.    

Then why did you?  Also, someone looking like they hit rock bottom who is being flown around, meals paid for, making good money for ten minutes of work doing something they love and you're the fan in the 3rd row feeling guilty? lol

Again, guys in WCW in the 90's making good money doing exactly what their boss wanted but you thought it was sad.  I dont know man, you seem to have an undiagnosed issue with wrestling.  Like you buy tickets to shows and hate yourself for it. ;-)

13 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Most of their jobs are probably pretty different than professional wrestling, and certainly you don't believe every person who's working at that age is doing so just to stay active?

I suppose as long as they're doing it for fun, and not b/c they'll be living on the street if they don't, is what matters. If that's the case then good for them. There are enough sad stories about old wrestlers that my first assumption is usually that they're doing it b/c they have no choice.

Lots of older people take jobs to stay active.  Many do it to supplemant their income.  Wrestling is no different.  Even if a 60 year old wrestler is working because he needs the money, so what?  Its not like he's walking around forcing promoters to book him or fans to buy a picture (well, unless its Virgil). 

The topic comes up in Hollywood too - oh that actor is too old, or oh that actor is growing old gracefully.  Sure, wrestling is athletic so when a fan astutely points out that a guy who is 60 doesnt look like he's 25, well, how do you argue with that.  But in the end, who cares?  Let the guys work and make money.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Lots of older people take jobs to stay active.  Many do it to supplemant their income.  Wrestling is no different.  Even if a 60 year old wrestler is working because he needs the money, so what?  Its not like he's walking around forcing promoters to book him or fans to buy a picture (well, unless its Virgil). 

The topic comes up in Hollywood too - oh that actor is too old, or oh that actor is growing old gracefully.  Sure, wrestling is athletic so when a fan astutely points out that a guy who is 60 doesnt look like he's 25, well, how do you argue with that.  But in the end, who cares?  Let the guys work and make money.

LOL at the Virgil comment.  I have first-hand experience with that one.

And I couldn't agree more.  If these guys want to get out of wrestling there are plenty of jobs in car sales or whatever else that don't require any education and pay just fine.  I don't imagine anyone is forced to be a wrestler if they don't want to.

7 minutes ago, Atomic said:

LOL at the Virgil comment.  I have first-hand experience with that one.

And I couldn't agree more.  If these guys want to get out of wrestling there are plenty of jobs in car sales or whatever else that don't require any education and pay just fine.  I don't imagine anyone is forced to be a wrestler if they don't want to.

And honestly, if given the choice, would you work at the local car wash 40 hours a week taking orders from someone one third your age or would you work weekends, get flown around, treated like royalty and make the same money for ten minutes of work?

Ofcourse a lot of it is guys re-living the glory days.  But who doesnt want that?  If there are adoring fans willing to embrace you.  And also, from a promoters perspective, bringing in guys like the R&R Express, its not just about that ten minute match, these guys are very very talented and can impart knowledge on the local roster.  They're basically like professors being hired to teach seminars...but their teaching includes a match that might not look great but theres something to be said for watching a talent you might have idolized perform.

I watched the Debbie Reynolds documentary on HBO last week and she was really in rough shape near the end.  Still a good performer.  But not the same as when she was 25.  But man, the hall was packed to watch her.  Respect.  Didnt hear anyone comment that she didnt look 25.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Then why did you?  Also, someone looking like they hit rock bottom who is being flown around, meals paid for, making good money for ten minutes of work doing something they love and you're the fan in the 3rd row feeling guilty? lol

Again, guys in WCW in the 90's making good money doing exactly what their boss wanted but you thought it was sad.  I dont know man, you seem to have an undiagnosed issue with wrestling.  Like you buy tickets to shows and hate yourself for it. ;-)

For Morton ,  listening to him talk about having no money and being broke and sucking up to Flair was just sad.  It's just sad that people have to do this since they have nothing else in life.  They also look silly ,   I have no problem with old guys in the ring... but don't embarrass yourself.

WFX -  Watching the guys outside of the ring ,  back stage and around the fans...  it's sad stuff.   Some guys like Shane Douglas seemed  ok,  but guys like Raven , Sabu,  Volkoff,  and some of the other older guys were just a complete mess.   

These guys are not doing it for the love of the fake-sport.... it's more so out of the only way they can get a few bucks.

Edited by Brandon

21 minutes ago, Brandon said:

For Morton ,  listening to him talk about having no money and being broke and sucking up to Flair was just sad.  It's just sad that people have to do this since they have nothing else in life.  They also look silly ,   I have no problem with old guys in the ring... but don't embarrass yourself.

WFX -  Watching the guys outside of the ring ,  back stage and around the fans...  it's sad stuff.   Some guys like Shane Douglas seemed  ok,  but guys like Raven , Sabu,  Volkoff,  and some of the other older guys were just a complete mess.   

These guys are not doing it for the love of the fake-sport.... it's more so out of the only way they can get a few bucks.

So what does it matter to you.  And what do you mean fake?  Wait, wrestling is fake?  Oh no Brandon knows the truth!  *rolls eyes*.  Do you also point at laugh at the old guy working at Walmart because he needs the money?  You've managed to shame guys for how they look at 60, shame guys for working into their old age because they need it.  Shame guys because their "sport" is "fake".  Maybe the wrestling thread isnt for you.

90% of wrestlers have sucked up to Flair.  Because he's the greatest of all time.  Does wrestling being "fake" make him any less accomplished.

I was at the movies on Sunday and boy did people get annoyed as I went around reminding them all that the film we were watching was fake.

18 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

So what does it matter to you.  And what do you mean fake?  Wait, wrestling is fake?  Oh no Brandon knows the truth!  *rolls eyes*.  Do you also point at laugh at the old guy working at Walmart because he needs the money?  You've managed to shame guys for how they look at 60, shame guys for working into their old age because they need it.  Shame guys because their "sport" is "fake".  Maybe the wrestling thread isnt for you.

90% of wrestlers have sucked up to Flair.  Because he's the greatest of all time.  Does wrestling being "fake" make him any less accomplished.

I was at the movies on Sunday and boy did people get annoyed as I went around reminding them all that the film we were watching was fake.

Why so sensitive?

The people at walmart  usually are wearing clothing,  at times not sporting a 80's mullet,  and probably make a lot more.  

I'm not shaming people for doing wrestling later on in life,   Larry Zbysco (sp?)  looked a whole lot better then someone like Raven when I met them.  You could tell he was there for fun and for a few bucks... 

It's not just wrestling,  I thought it was super sad watching Ken Shamrock continually going out and fighting (embarrassing himself) for a few bucks because he's desperate.

20 hours ago, Brandon said:

Why so sensitive?

The people at walmart  usually are wearing clothing,  at times not sporting a 80's mullet,  and probably make a lot more.  

I'm not shaming people for doing wrestling later on in life,   Larry Zbysco (sp?)  looked a whole lot better then someone like Raven when I met them.  You could tell he was there for fun and for a few bucks... 

It's not just wrestling,  I thought it was super sad watching Ken Shamrock continually going out and fighting (embarrassing himself) for a few bucks because he's desperate.

Not sensitive at all.  But this is the norm with you.  Why does it matter to you what a guy looks like at 60 with his shirt off?  Why are you so sensitive?  I guarantee the Walmart greeter isnt making more than Ricky Morton does wrestling.

You know why guys like baron or whoever else do shows time to time? Because they can and they love it. Man I kind of grew up with hogan savage warrior.. those guys. I'd absolutely kill to see them again... unfortunately 2 are dead but if hogan showed up... man... nostalgia. That's why these guys keep doing a couple shows every now and then cuz eventho it's fake (scripted).. it's because you know what the people who go to these shows... they were fans of them and I don't care if it's baron or Jake or hogan or watching the Jets alumni play at IGF.... seeing them out there doing what they love and seeing them still being able to do it... regardless of how good or bad it is... it's nostalgic.  It makes you feel like a kid again.  That's why these old timers do it every now and then... some for money... all because they love doing it and love the reactions they get. 

The movie The Wrestler I thought was very good. Dude worked at a butcher shop right but was miserable so he quit and decided to go back to doing what he loves. How can anyone actually have issues with people who do things they love

Some people think sitting on your ass all day is fun. Some people love their 9 to 5 office job. Some people hate it tho and think wrestling in front of 1000 people at a show in Winnipeg is fun. 

Me? I'll be honest here.... I've never taken one but I'd rather take a chair shot than sit on my ass in an office all day. And if I get paid 500 or1000 bucks for taking that chair shot... well that's more than I'd make sitting on my ass for 8 hours and hell ya know what... I'd make it in 15 minutes 

Edited by Goalie

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You couldn't pay me enough to take a chair shot. That being said, if wrestlers wants to go at it when they're older & fans want to see it then let them. People still pay to see old rock stars like the Stones & Paul McCartney. I don't see a difference.

Or Jets alumni 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

The movie The Wrestler I thought was very good. Dude worked at a butcher shop right but was miserable so he quit and decided to go back to doing what he loves. How can anyone actually have issues with people who do things they love

I don't... I'm just saying guys like Ricky Morton are sad to watch...

Here's some quotes from an interview with him:

"I still depend on wrestling for a living," Morton told me in a recent interview. "I'm a single parent and I still have four kids at home. When all you know is wrestling, it's hard. I still depend on this. And I know what I'm doing in this 'rassling business. I do independent shows and I don't break records. I don't draw 10,000 fans anymore. But I can go to an independent show that draws 25 people and turn that into 300 people a week."

The teenage girls aren't there anymore, at least not in the droves that used to mob him before and after every match. What is there, in the National Guard armories and high school gyms, is a living, if a meager one. The man who once packed arenas throughout the South thinks he deserves better. Calling from outside a skating rink in Tennessee, Morton seemed emotional thinking about the blood price he had paid to a sport that had forgotten him.

"I sacrificed a lot for this business," Morton said, audibly affected while thinking about it. "And they just threw us away. I didn't want anybody's top spot. I just wanted a job. Hell, I'd have put the ring up. I'd referee. Wrestling is all I know and they threw me away like a piece of trash."

And if you listen to his interviews and his feud with Kevin Nash...  yikes it's sad stuff.   Guy was/is really in a hole from doing way to much drugs back in the day,  pissing away his money and going to jail since he owed 80 000 in child support.     The guy is ridiculously bitter  (specially to Nash and the bigger stars of WCW).  

It's guys like that that I feel pity for.

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You couldn't pay me enough to take a chair shot. That being said, if wrestlers wants to go at it when they're older & fans want to see it then let them. People still pay to see old rock stars like the Stones & Paul McCartney. I don't see a difference.

True.  its a weird thing.  Probably not too many Stones fans paying for tickets to see them and paying for tickets for local cover bands playing Stones music and lamenting on message boards how they feel pity for Mick and insulting the cover bands.  Says more about the people saying that.  But when you're in the business for awhile you understand who the term "mark" is used on.  Self loathing wrestling fans. lol 

Like you said, its like anything else.  I mean, if Im Ricky Morton and someone wants to pay me $300-$500 to wrestle for ten minutes in front of an adoring crowd, why would I say no?  Because I think some fan will feel pity for me?

Every sport or business has hard luck cases.  But lets not pretend this particular fan really had an issue with that.  He followed a post about HOF with a photo of a 60 year old Rock & Roll Express.  Sad commentary on that fan if you ask me.

Anyway....

WWE announces 4th quarter (and 2016) results.  For the year, they set a new company revenue record of $729.2 million dollars with OIBDA of $80.1 million.  Big time money for WWE.

And in TNA news, Jeff Jarrett is back in charge.  Dixie is gone.  Jarrett has brought back Dutch Mantell and Scott D'Amore to the booking team.  All eyes are on the Hardy's as their contracts expire in the next few weeks (I think Matt's expires around Feb 27th).  WWE is interested.