Random News Items

Rich

http://nationalpost.com/news/world/a-man-is-about-to-launch-himself-in-his-homemade-rocket-to-prove-the-earth-is-flat

Seeking to prove that a conspiracy of astronauts fabricated the shape of the Earth, a California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a rocket he built from scrap metal.

Assuming the 500-mph, mile-long flight through the Mojave Desert does not kill him, Mike Hughes told the Associated Press, his journey into the atmosflat will mark the first phase of his ambitious flat-Earth space program.

What I found funny when reading the whole article is he had a go fund me page for his rocket that only raised a few hundred bucks.  

Then after suddenly declaring the flat earth theory reasonable, did a go fund me page for his rocket to prove it, and has now raised thousands. 

Smart bugger. 

35 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I haven't read much explanation as to how people have decided the Earth is flat, but if it is, where is the edge?

I believe the idea is that "Antarctica" is the edge and rather than being on the bottom of the sphere, it is a wall of ice that wraps around the outside of the disc.

38 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I haven't read much explanation as to how people have decided the Earth is flat, but if it is, where is the edge?

According to flattards, Antarctica is supposedly the edge of their world, with an insurmountable wall made of ice at the edge.

Related image 

I honestly have no idea how any human being with even a basic understanding of science could rationalize such silliness.

14 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

According to flattards, Antarctica is supposedly the edge of their world, with an insurmountable wall made of ice at the edge.

Related image 

I honestly have no idea how any human being with even a basic understanding of science could rationalize such silliness.

I honestly think you've got just a few people pushing it (whether they believe it or not) and they are making money off it with websites, books, GoFundMe/Kickstarter, podcasts, and other media. 

Then there is a group of people who are ironically pushing the idea and generally just trolling.

And then you have the useful idiots who just lap it up, buy books, donate to the "cause", visit flat earth sites daily and click Share on Facebook.