Random News Items

Rich

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Im sure people have friends who they have not seen in 20 years. So it's no biggie to me. Looks like every personal trip going to have to go through Ethics commish now.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Awesome.  I got paid for something you posted before... class-action suit against a RAM maker or maybe it was batteries.  Maybe both.  Add this to the list!  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Awesome.  I got paid for something you posted before... class-action suit against a RAM maker or maybe it was batteries.  Maybe both.  Add this to the list!  Thanks.

ya this is pretty cool.. came across this in the news today.   I got paid on something similar a few years back for the sketchers shoes and how they were guilty of false advertising about how their "step up" shoes build up your calf muscles.

The world’s largest package delivery company has just broken another record, albeit on a much smaller scale. The shipping giant has just become the company with the biggest pre-order for Tesla’s newest vehicle, the upcoming Tesla Semi. UPS announced that it had placed an order for 125 Class 8, all-electric, semi-autonomous trucks. The order manages to beat PepsiCo’s order of 100 trucks.

UPS is known for its commitment to green initiatives that have the dual benefit of helping both the environment and their bottom line. Earlier this year the company announced an initiative to replace 1,000 diesel-fueled delivery trucks in its New York City delivery fleet (more than half of the company’s fleet in the city) with electric-powered trucks by 2020. Trucks based in NYC are perfect for this kind of conversion as smaller routes afford for less range anxiety.

NYT

It would have seemed unbelievable in 1990, when there were 2,245 killings in New York City, but as of Wednesday there have been just 286 in the city this year — the lowest since reliable records have been kept.

If the trend holds just a few more days, this year’s homicide total will be under the city’s previous low of 333 in 2014, and crime will have declined for 27 straight years, to levels that police officials have said are the lowest since the 1950s. The numbers, when taken together, portray a city of 8.5 million people growing safer even as the police, under Mayor Bill de Blasio, use less deadly force, make fewer arrests and scale back controversial practices like stopping and frisking thousands of people on the streets.

Edited by Mark F