Random News Items

Rich

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

very strange indeed.  that strip used to be super popular.  it is kind of out of the way for the rest of the city tho.

I worked for Scandals and the Palladium/Stratosphere/Lid.  Knew people who worked at Coyotes/Rockbar, Montys etc.  My feeling is, the increased competition was good for everyone.  When you had 4-5 popular bars, it became a night out destination to the area.  But as bars began closing or changing concepts that were counter-intuitive to the U of M crowd, it sort of chased people away I think.

Taverns and lounges became more popular than dance clubs.  The minimum pricing didnt help. 

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I worked for Scandals and the Palladium/Stratosphere/Lid.  Knew people who worked at Coyotes/Rockbar, Montys etc.  My feeling is, the increased competition was good for everyone.  When you had 4-5 popular bars, it became a night out destination to the area.  But as bars began closing or changing concepts that were counter-intuitive to the U of M crowd, it sort of chased people away I think.

Taverns and lounges became more popular than dance clubs.  The minimum pricing didnt help. 

good call.. plus the alcohol price jump really hurt the club scene to boot. 

but I think thats bang on.. big loud dance clubs kind of went the way of the dodo and pubs/taverns/social houses became the rage.

I also think sometimes people dont consider their market.  They think what they like is what everyone will like.

I worked at the Palladium when it became the Stratosphere.  Owners spent a lot of money renovating.  But the Palladium had been known for cheap booze, young crowd, very casual.  With the Strat, they tried to be more downtown club.  More expensive cover, more expensive drinks, "classier".  It worked for about six months but ultimately died.  Like totally dead.  And I remember urging the manager to change...with the idea we're minutes from the U of M but priced out of their range.

They did another minor reno, became "The Lid" (which was the nickname for the Palladium), dropped cover back to $2, drinks back to $2.50, played top 40 and dance and voila, packed.  Stayed that way til we closed.

I went into Reset last year.  Awful.  They had a nice layout as far as that building goes (which is a struggle because its a former Chuck E Cheese so limited).  Lots of video games which was the schtick.  Good light show etc.  But the friggen DJ is playing like techno and house music.  Not a soul one the dance floor but the video game area was really busy and everyone was dressed like they came from the dorms.  So you had them thinking they were a "club" but the only appeal was video games and that was the market they should have been chasing.

Plus, before I turned 18, everyone talked about going to Monty's or Scandals.  It was like a rite of passage to adulthood.  I think Canad made a mistake when they changed names.  If you look back at the old Canad clubs, their "traditional" names generally lasted years.  But when they tried to be Vegas rips offs, they changed them every couple years.  No identity, people dont care, no emotional connection.

How many Canad bars have actually closed?  They tried to take over the entire bar scene.  U4IA (and whatever it was called after) closed.  Reign closing now.  They converted to Taverns.  Cowboys, which is arguably their best bar, is barely open.  I worked there when it was Stardust and Boogie Nights and it was open Tuesday - Saturday at 7PM.  Now it's open Fri and Sat at 9PM. 

The minimum price was something all the bar owners loved because they thought it would stop themselves from lowering prices to ridiculous levels.  But it must made it cheaper to drink at home.  It used to be you'd go to the bar at 7PM (I remember walking in at 7PM to open and there was a line outside) and you could have $20 with you to get in and buy enough drinks to get hammered.  After minimum pricing, the norm became 9-10PM at the earliest and you'd pre-drink at home.

Reset is closed and all the games are/were up for auction...  lots of classic arcade games. ....

I definitely remember the days of being able to go to u4ia and being able to buy drinks and shots for myself and whoever else and cab back home all with only spending $50....      you definitely were correct about when they changed the pricing and the pre drinking.  

28 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Reset is closed and all the games are/were up for auction...  lots of classic arcade games. ....

I definitely remember the days of being able to go to u4ia and being able to buy drinks and shots for myself and whoever else and cab back home all with only spending $50....      you definitely were correct about when they changed the pricing and the pre drinking.  

Not surprised about Reset.  Someone else will go into that location and assume they are way smarter than the previous 6 bars that operated there.  And they will be wrong too.  I tried to convince my old boss to rent the place and bring back The Lid lol

27 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Drunk takes headover off bridge(maybe?) and everyone pays $2.5

Yeah.  It sucked but had nothing to do with cheap drinks.  I saw just as many super drunk people passed out, sick, whatever with minimum pricing.  It just drove sales to the Liquor Marts rather then the bars.  But it was something Canad Inns wanted and they had a firm grip on the LC.

On 10/20/2017 at 8:54 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

Winnipeg's Amazon proposal here:

https://www.mayorbowman.ca/news/read,378/197/amazon-bid-highlights-winnipeg-advantage

Getting very positive reviews from what Ive seen online.

I love that the first point mentioned is how we solved Ebola.

Here is a map of all states and provinces where a bid for Amazon HQ2 was made.

HQ2-Map-Hero.png

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/census-2016-immigration-1.4368970

The census figures show 21.9 per cent of Canadians report being or having been an immigrant or permanent resident, nearly matching the high of 22.3 per cent in 1921 and up from 19.8 per cent in 2006.

Statistics Canada estimates immigrants could represent up to 30 per cent of all Canadians by 2036.

The country welcomed 1.2 million new immigrants between 2011 and 2016, with 60.3 per cent of them being admitted as "economic" immigrants — nearly half of those through the skilled workers program.

immiggants.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/i-team-rcmp-whistleblower-lead-risks-1.4371446

Reports obtained by CBC News reveal the RCMP in Manitoba knew about potential problems with lead exposure from its firing range in the basement of "D" Division headquarters on Winnipeg's Portage Avenue as early as 2000.

The range continued to be used until March 2016.

"They knew it was dangerous, they didn't tell anyone," said Bonnie Muth, an administrative worker who regularly accessed files from the room since 1997.

An August 2015 report by Pinchin Ltd., an environmental-consulting company, stated "lead wipe results indicate that there is significant lead contamination" in the room Muth routinely visited.

It found lead levels on a shelf in the storage room to be 21 times above what the U.S. Navy considers safe — a standard the study used because it could not find Canadian standards for acceptable levels of lead contamination on surfaces.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/torture-syria-31-million-1.4372689

The Liberal government has paid a total of close to $31.3 million in settlements to three Canadian men wrongfully accused of links to terrorism and tortured in Syria— 15 years and two federal inquiries after their detentions, sources confirmed to CBC News.

Abdullah Almalki, Ahmad El Maati and Muayyed Nureddin will split $31.25 million, but it's not clear from officials how much each man received.

14 hours ago, bustamente said:

How is the City of Winnipeg never ready for winter conditions, get some sanders out there .

How can they be expected to know this might happen in late October?  Even with 4 days notice of rain/snow and zero degree conditions with strong winds.  It really took everyone by surprise.

Sarcasm.

Yeah it was a complete dereliction of duty by the city that they advised everyone to NOT USE BRIDGES rather then be sanding them ahead of time. 

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

How can they be expected to know this might happen in late October?  Even with 4 days notice of rain/snow and zero degree conditions with strong winds.  It really took everyone by surprise.

Sarcasm.

Yeah it was a complete dereliction of duty by the city that they advised everyone to NOT USE BRIDGES rather then be sanding them ahead of time. 

ya I lol'd when I heard that.  "just don't drive" was their answer to a snow storm.   absolute joke . they also claimed they salted the areas but the rain diluted it and made it essentially useless.. well, maybe do it again if thats the case or use some sand? 

Just now, SPuDS said:

ya I lol'd when I heard that.  "just don't drive" was their answer to a snow storm.   absolute joke . they also claimed they salted the areas but the rain diluted it and made it essentially useless.. well, maybe do it again if thats the case or use some sand? 

We salted LAST week.  What do you people want, MORE Salt??  Thats why we have a Carbon Tax!  lol

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

We salted LAST week.  What do you people want, MORE Salt??  Thats why we have a Carbon Tax!  lol

and thats the gist of it imo.  they were trying to be cheap and dodge the extra spending of the monies... which is a great thing to do when you're playing with people's lives.

Don't forget accidents are big business in this city, body shops are going to be hoping early this year because the people in charge are buffoons, any one who has lived in this city knows that the bridges ice up in these conditions but apparently these city administrators don't get weather reports. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/spain-catalonia-friday-1.4374771

In one of the most momentous days in recent Spanish history, lawmakers in the Catalan regional parliament voted to unilaterally declare independence on Friday, prompting the government to immediately adopt special constitutional powers to stop the region's attempt to secede.

Muy loco!

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

This has been handled spectacularly  poorly by the central government "leaders".  

First the stupid **** the bed British PM Cameron and his asinine moves, now this absolute dolt in Spain.

Edited by Mark F