Random News Items

Rich

Conyers and franken have to resign.  I was a Franken fan. I saw a story online about people facing the fact that perhaps their heroes are guilty of these acts. Franken was not a hero but I always liked him. 

But because of Trump if not just good sense, Conyers and Franken have to quit to send a message.  If this is unacceptable then they need to fall on their swords. 

My two cents. 

Trump says U.S. now recognizes Jerusalem as capital of Israel, will also direct State Department to move U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-announcement-jerusalem-us-1.4435649

President Donald Trump on Wednesday declared Jerusalem as Israel's capital, hailing it as "very fresh thinking" and a repudiation of "the same failed strategies of the past" employed by his predecessors.

"It is time to officially recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel," Trump said from the White House.

Trump also said he would direct the State Department to begin the process of moving the U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

While Trump is fulfilling campaign promises domestically on both decisions, the U.S. risks infuriating the Muslim world, potentially sparking protests that could fray American alliances in the volatile Middle East.

This is horrific. The entire video paints the picture but the key exchange takes place starting around 4 minutes.  Very hard to watch.

Some back ground:

On 18 January 2016, Mesa Police Department officer Philip Brailsford, age 26, shot and killed 26-year-old Daniel Shaver of Granbury, Texas. Shaver was allegedly in possession of an air rifle while he was staying at a La Quinta Inns & Suites hotel. Hotel guests near the pool notified the front desk that someone was pointing a rifle out a fifth floor window. The hotel immediately notified the police. Following an investigation, Brailsford was charged with second-degree murder. Controversy emerged surrounding the release of body camera footage of the event.

According to a police report, Daniel Shaver, a pest-control worker and resident of Granbury, Texas, had been staying at a Mesa La Quinta Inn on business. He invited two acquaintances to his room for drinks. There he showed them a scoped air rifle he was using to exterminate birds inside grocery stores. At one point the gun was pointed outside his hotel window, prompting a witness to notify the front desk; the police were immediately called. Upon arrival, police gave Shaver and his acquaintances detailed orders for various minutes, with frequent admonitions that failing to comply with them would get them shot. Eventually, Shaver was ordered to crawl on the floor towards them. While complying with their request, Shaver, who was intoxicated and could be heard sobbing, begging officers, "Please don't shoot," made a single hand motion, notably distant from his waist. Brailsford yelled at Shaver that if Shaver did anything whatsoever that deviated from his instructions he would shoot him and he probably wouldn’t survive. For unknown reasons Shaver then reached his right hand back towards his waistband again at which point Brailsford can be heard yelling "Don't-" before immediately opening fire with his AR-15 rifle, striking Shaver 5 times and killing him almost instantly. Shaver was unarmed.[1][2]

Edited by The Unknown Poster

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

And not guilty verdict now. Thats what happens when you don't listen to a cop with an AR15.

Id love to know the details of the not guilty verdict because thats as close to a clear cut execution as I've seen.  If Im on that jury, the only out for the cop is I might consider manslaughter if I felt his training led him to that absolutely horrific action.

What many in the public dont understand though is "follow directions and you dont get shot" is wrong on many levels.  Firstly, disobeying a cop should not immediately result in death.  Not all circumstances are the same.  Someone with a gun, yes, you defend that position differently.  But when you add adrenaline, fear, booze, confusion etc suspects are not always going to follow explicit instructions through little fault of their own.

This suspect was all but secure on the floor and could easily have been handcuffed.  There were multiple cops there.

Very very wrong.  The officer was rightfully fired.  But acquitted?  Yikes.