Random News Items

Rich

8 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

What a rough one.  Spacey went the PR route when he should have just issued the apology without any caveats or qualifiers.    If he was truly sorry and truly respected Rapp, he wouldn't have changed the narrative from the incident which clearly had a lasting negative impact on Rapp into an "emotional" story of his own coming out.  Its just not right.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/motorist-hits-people-on-bike-path-near-world-trade-center-in-nyc-1.4380850

Police and witnesses say a motorist drove a truck onto a busy bicycle path near the World Trade Center memorial and struck several people, then emerged from the vehicle screaming and firing something that appeared to be a gun.

An Associated Press photographer on the scene Tuesday witnessed at least two bodies lying motionless on the path beneath tarps.

The New York Police Department posted on its Twitter feed that one person was in custody. The department says it's unclear whether anyone was shot.

Do none of these guys have women in their lives (mothers, sisters, daughters?). Ewwww

Olivia Munn said that while visiting the set of the 2004 Ratner-directed “After the Sunset” when she was still an aspiring actress, he masturbated in front of her in his trailer when she went to deliver a meal. Munn wrote about the incident in her 2010 collection of essays without naming Ratner. On a television show a year later, Ratner identified himself as the director, and claimed that he had “banged” her, something he later said was not true. The same year her book was published, Munn ran into Ratner at a party thrown by Creative Artists Agency and he boasted of ejaculating on magazine covers featuring her image, she told The Times.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Maybe we need a Hollywood sleaze thread 

"I didn't grope anybody. I might have kissed somebody on the cheek to say goodbye and then licked them. That's my thing I licked Carrie Fisher at a roast. It's me being funny. I'm not trying to sexually harass people."

Edited by The Unknown Poster

"I don't grope people anymore," he insisted. "I don't expose myself anymore. I do understand that the temperature in the world right now is delicate."

So it used to be okay to grope people and expose yourself, but now that people are publicly calling people out on it, it is not okay .... damn delicate people.....

1 hour ago, Rich said:

So it used to be okay to grope people and expose yourself, but now that people are publicly calling people out on it, it is not okay .... damn delicate people.....

how people ever thought these actions were acceptable or ok.. boggles my mind.  I'm no PC pushing snowflake but I mean, even at a young age I knew right from wrong.

Another one...

Anna Graham Hunter alleged that, while working as a production assistant on the project, she was targeted by the actor with a range of inappropriate behavior, including groping her and directing crude comments at her.

"He asked me to give him a foot massage my first day on set; I did," Hunter writes. "He was openly flirtatious, he grabbed my ass, he talked about sex to me and in front of me."

"I have the utmost respect for women and feel terrible that anything I might have done could have put her in an uncomfortable situation," Hoffman said. "I am sorry. It is not reflective of who I am."

So much for Spacey being an isolated incident:

http://deadline.com/2017/10/kevin-spacey-fallout-london-theatre-director-former-news-anchor-respond-1202197513/

Victoria Featherstone, artistic director of the Royal Court Theatre, was asked today during an interview on Radio 4, if she was aware of any egregious conduct by Spacey when he was working as artistic director of the Old Vic in London.

“I think that many people in the theatre and in the creative industries have been aware of many stories of many people over a lot of years, and Kevin Spacey would be one of the people that people have had concerns about, yes,” she said.

Nadine West also tweeted a male friend had been a victim of Spacey.

KS groped my young male friend when they were both working at the Old Vic. Was apparently always known as one to avoid. Sadly unsurprised.

— Nadine West (@andiekarenina) October 30, 2017

In addition, former WCVB-TV news anchor Heather Unruh, had accused the Oscar winner of attacking someone close to her.

In a tweet more than two weeks before Rapp received his apology, she tweeted a picture October 13 with the message: ‘The #weinsteinscandal has emboldened me … I was a Kevin Spacey fan until he assaulted a loved one. Time the dominoes fell’.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Another one...

This one is more interesting.  Groping and grabbing is obviously very wrong, but she also mentions him being "openly flirtatious and talking about sex."  To me, that might be a little creepy but some women might have no problem with it.  And it's certainly not illegal.  I think as all this comes out, we have to keep in mind that flirting is not necessarily sexual harassment.  Talking about sex is not necessarily sexual harassment.

EDIT:  Just noticed she was 17, so yeah that's a fair thing for her to complain about.  But when it's all adults, I believe my point still stands.

Edited by Atomic

15 hours ago, Atomic said:

This one is more interesting.  Groping and grabbing is obviously very wrong, but she also mentions him being "openly flirtatious and talking about sex."  To me, that might be a little creepy but some women might have no problem with it.  And it's certainly not illegal.  I think as all this comes out, we have to keep in mind that flirting is not necessarily sexual harassment.  Talking about sex is not necessarily sexual harassment.

EDIT:  Just noticed she was 17, so yeah that's a fair thing for her to complain about.  But when it's all adults, I believe my point still stands.

I agree that each situation should be judged on its face.  But most of us know the appropriate time and place for flirting and sexual jokes. Usually that’s not towards underlines at work which she would have been to him. It’s the power dynamic.  

Spacey now going for treatment 

41 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I agree that each situation should be judged on its face.  But most of us know the appropriate time and place for flirting and sexual jokes. Usually that’s not towards underlines at work which she would have been to him. It’s the power dynamic.  

Spacey now going for treatment 

I think you give too much credit to "most of us."

9 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I think you give too much credit to "most of us."

Sadly, you might be right.  The other thing is, if I hit on an underling, flirted, made unwelcome come ons, she could easily complain.  I'd be pulled into a meeting with HR and if I was very lucky, I'd save my job and be "educated".  I'd then learn something and hopefully not repeat the behavior (if I valued my job).  But for these actors and power brokers, they were the boss's or high enough that they werent being scolded.  They suffered no consequences or corrective intervention.  And that's how we ended up with a *culture*.