Random News Items

Rich

14 hours ago, basslicker said:

If someone wants public services, and to vote, they must show their face, that's common sense in proving your identity.

Yeah I would say so.  Im on record as disliking the face covering anyway and many Muslim's feel the same way as its a form of control over women.  The fact some women *want* to wear it doesnt change that.  But certainly, you cannot hide your identity at times and places where your identity is required.  That would seem to be common sense.

I don't know, as cool as this is, wouldn't he not be selected mostly because well, I've heard when Letterman was once called for Jury Duty he was dismissed for being a distraction or something. 

http://www.tmz.com/2017/11/08/barack-obama-jury-duty-chicago/

heck I still remember the time I heard that Michael Jackson was called for Jury Duty, like 4 months after his acquittal.

14 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I don't know, as cool as this is, wouldn't he not be selected mostly because well, I've heard when Letterman was once called for Jury Duty he was dismissed for being a distraction or something. 

http://www.tmz.com/2017/11/08/barack-obama-jury-duty-chicago/

heck I still remember the time I heard that Michael Jackson was called for Jury Duty, like 4 months after his acquittal.

For sure, no way.  Security if nothing else lol  Plus he'd be way too much of an influence on the other jurors. 

Ive never been called for Jury duty...

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/08/media/att-time-warner/index.html

AT&T's acquisition of Time Warner has hit a serious snag. Negotiations between the companies and the Department of Justice have turned so contentious that now both sides are arguing publicly over what the dispute is even about.

But it is clear that CNN, one of President Trump's favorite targets, is a major factor.

According to three sources with knowledge of the matter, the Department of Justice's antitrust chief met with AT&T on Monday and offered a choice: If you want us to approve your purchase of Time Warner, either sell off CNN's parent unit, Turner, or sell DirecTV. Otherwise, we'll see you in court.

A fairly significant development.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/new-stradbrook-avenue-apartment-tower-gets-committee-endorsement-455897723.html

Plans for a new 18-storey residential tower adjacent to the Harkness transit corridor station were endorsed by a civic committee Tuesday.

Councillors on the property and development committee supported a rezoning application for the building that would be constructed at 221-227 Stradbrook Ave. near Donald Street.

Old Winnipeg Winter Club tennis courts which are a disaster.  And right beside the Harkness Rapid Transit station. 

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

Is anyone shocked about the Louis CK stuff....  

Not really shocked about any of this.  Glad to see it coming to light and hopefully things change.  Very saddened by the scope.  And seeing "favorite" actors caught in it and facing the fact that they are pieces of crap sucks.  I had to refrain from posting to a friends FB page.  He posted a defense of Spacey.  basically the "how do we know these men & women are telling the truth, what happened to innocent until proven guilty, just leave poor Spacey alone" and several people agreed and said how awful it was for Spacey.

Of course, innocent until proven guilty.  But this topic will always be one that takes things on their face.

11 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Not really shocked about any of this.  Glad to see it coming to light and hopefully things change.  Very saddened by the scope.  And seeing "favorite" actors caught in it and facing the fact that they are pieces of crap sucks.  I had to refrain from posting to a friends FB page.  He posted a defense of Spacey.  basically the "how do we know these men & women are telling the truth, what happened to innocent until proven guilty, just leave poor Spacey alone" and several people agreed and said how awful it was for Spacey.

Of course, innocent until proven guilty.  But this topic will always be one that takes things on their face.

Not defending anyone found guilty of committing these acts but the tidal wave of accusations rolling in sets a dangerous precedent because an accuser can currently damage or completely ruin an individuals career, livelihood and reputation based upon "he said, she said" evidence.  We've already seen this happen to multiple school teachers and this will soon become a tool that the political establishment embraces fully as they try to bring down their opponents any way that they can.  In an age when almost every person carries on their person a camera, recording device and instant access to help, the burden of proof should be established before accusations can be publicly exposed.  Innocent until proven guilty does little good if an individual has already been publicly humiliated and black-balled.

What we’re seeing though is multiple allegations against people with  long held reputations for it. 

And while there are cases of false allegations it’s not the norm. If it was it would happen all the time. Look at hoffman. One allegation. He apologized. Story died. 

http://www.toofab.com/2017/11/09/jenny-mccarthy-shares-steven-seagal-casting-couch-story-it-just-so-grossed-me-out