Random News Items

Rich

Just now, JCon said:

They all over-sell but they usually have some sort of data that tells them how much they can over-sell. But physically removing passengers while everyone records it is a PR disaster.  Especially after "tightsgate" a couple weeks ago when they denied boarding to a couple of young girls for wearing rights and their Twitter argued with people over it. 

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

They all over-sell but they usually have some sort of data that tells them how much they can over-sell. But physically removing passengers while everyone records it is a PR disaster.  Especially after "tightsgate" a couple weeks ago when they denied boarding to a couple of young girls for wearing rights and their Twitter argued with people over it. 

Yeah, United is pretty crappy company and Air Canada can be too.

In December, my wife and oldest son (7), were flying Ottawa - Toronto - Winnipeg. The flight out of Ottawa was delayed but still in time to make the Toronto connection. Air Canada gave away their seats to standby customers over an hour before the second flight was scheduled to depart. AC explained that the itineraries were not connected (Ottawa to Toronto and Toronto to Winnipeg were separate), even though they were booked as a continuous flight.

The kicker, was that they were using the same plane, so there was no way that the flight from Toronto to Winnipeg could leave without the first flight arriving.

Then, AC said they would have to wait on standby themselves to see if anything would open. When two seats did open, they were going to seat them at separate ends of the airplane. My seven year-old son was understandably upset.

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Especially after "tightsgate" a couple weeks ago when they denied boarding to a couple of young girls for wearing rights and their Twitter argued with people over it. 

That was overblown. The family was flying using employee passes which has a different dress code. And they were teenagers, not young girls.

What happened to the passenger who was dragged off is inexcusable and I hope he sues the crap out of them.

Just now, Jacquie said:

That was overblown. The family was flying using employee passes which has a different dress code. And they were teenagers, not young girls.

What happened to the passenger who was dragged off is inexcusable and I hope he sues the crap out of them.

Teenagers are young girls, or so the law has told me

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Teenagers are young girls, or so the law has told me

lol I cant recall for sure, I thought they were like10, 11 years old.  Regardless, the issue with United was not that they had a silly dress code but their response to complaints was basically an example of what not to do.

4 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

To me it shows you the culture of United Airlines, in both cases really.  Their gate agents seem to have a "we make the rules, you should be lucky we let you filthy people fly with us" attitude. 

Apparently, they offered $400 for 4 passengers to give up their seats and fly the next day.  No takers.  So they let them board (first mistake) and offered $800.  No takers.  So they "randomly" selected two couples (heck of a randomizer there). This passenger claimed to be a doctor and had patients expecting him in the morning and refused to leave. 

Im curious about some things.  Are these United security?  Are they Police?  Because all reference to them refers to them as "security" and they appear to be wearing casual clothes but one of them is wearing a jacket that reads POLICE.  So are they impersonating police??  And who has the authority to order the police (or security) to remove a lawful passenger?  Supposedly, the United agent could not go higher than $800.  But he/she had the authority to call in the swat team?  That's crazy.

This will be a wake up call to airlines though.  I flew Air Canaqda, I cant remember where we were, I think it was Ottawa or Quebec City and they asked for two people to give up their seats.  I think they went as high as $400.  A group of 3 stepped forward and offered to take it if all three could be credited.  AC declined.  And randomly re-booked two people.  So $400 extra was too much to avoid a negative situation for AC.

United could have offered $1000...even more.  Eventually someone would have taken it.  This will cost them AWAY more than $1000.

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

This is very interesting.  I think the issue people have is its a "theme park".  But if it was called a "Museum" maybe they wouldnt have an issue with it.  I love the Titanic story and would LOVE to see this life sized replica if its true to the original.  How amazing would that be.

And the story states the original plan was a "6D" reenactment of the ship hitting the iceberg and sinking.  Man...that would be something.

When I went to the Titanic Exhibition in Las Vegas and here in Winnipeg, they had a replica of an outside deck (very small) with it made up to seem like you were standing out doors on the deck the night of the disaster.  It was eerie...and emotional...but damn interesting.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

And the story states the original plan was a "6D" reenactment of the ship hitting the iceberg and sinking.  Man...that would be something.

When I went to the Titanic Exhibition in Las Vegas and here in Winnipeg, they had a replica of an outside deck (very small) with it made up to seem like you were standing out doors on the deck the night of the disaster.  It was eerie...and emotional...but damn interesting.

I was at the one in Vegas,   after seeing the artifacts and the big piece hanging up on display and then going to the little deck on the night of the disaster.  It was really powerful and I would say that part of the exhibit was not done in bad taste. 

I wouldn't think the re-enactment would be a good idea on the ship mainly because it may cause panic for certain types of people who may end up doing unwise things.   Similar to when people have panic attacks on planes and when someone else cracks a joke about hearing a noise and then the freaked out person goes into full blown panic mode.    I also think it would be depressing to go on a cruise and then being bummed out thinking about how many people perished. 

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I was at the one in Vegas,   after seeing the artifacts and the big piece hanging up on display and then going to the little deck on the night of the disaster.  It was really powerful and I would say that part of the exhibit was not done in bad taste. 

I wouldn't think the re-enactment would be a good idea on the ship mainly because it may cause panic for certain types of people who may end up doing unwise things.   Similar to when people have panic attacks on planes and when someone else cracks a joke about hearing a noise and then the freaked out person goes into full blown panic mode.    I also think it would be depressing to go on a cruise and then being bummed out thinking about how many people perished. 

Well presumably it wouldnt be a surprise reenactment.  But your point is relevant.  It cant truly capture the feel of the disaster without it being really really scary.  And they arent going to go that far.  So I'd agree, the reenactment aspect is probably not required.  But a full sized replica?  Sign me up.  Make it true to the original and basically its like the Vegas exhibit on a much larger scale.

Better hire an accountant too, he's about to get paid!

The CEO of United is probably watching the presser and saying damn it he's got an articulate & attractive daughter too. America will embrace this family. Get my chequebook!

Apparenrly United is big on China also. So basically the worst passenger to decide to attack  

Edited by The Unknown Poster