Random News Items

Rich

15 hours ago, bustamente said:

Cowboys would never release or trade him to their state rival, best move he could make he become really brittle the last few years.

A "state rival" doesn't really exist in the NFL... Not only are the cowboys and Texans not in the same division, they are not even in the same conference... The Cowboys main rivals are the Redskins and Giants....

If Tony Romo wanted to play again this year, it would definitely be in Houston... 

4 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I could have my storms mixed up but wasn't that the one that dumped snow pellets for 24 hours non-stop on top of the 3 ft. of snow that was already laying on the ground?  I just remember attempting to shovel the walk and not being able to throw the heavy snow high enough to clear the sides.  It all melted within a couple of days anyways and brought on massive flooding.

I dont recall the snow pellets.  Im pretty sure it was very cold for the blizzard and it was "normal" snow (heavy snow, blowing snow).  But it did melt quickly.  I know I have some home video of the day before the blizzard because my friend and I went out to his cottage at Grand Beach to check it out "after the winter" (lol) and I comment on the video that there is a blizzard coming.  And I have video of a month later with us playing basketball outside in t shirts and then driving around looking at all the flood activity.

According to news reports, there was already a ton of snow on the ground before that blizzard.  I also recall, I think it was Grand Forks or Fargo, their local news won awards if I recall for their coverage.  Whichever town it was got hammered bad...totally flooded, huge fire.  It was very very sad.

My friend's aunt lived in St Norbert and I recall that the city thought they were safe and someone noticed a weak point where flood waters could back up and end up flooding St Norbert.  Thats when they scurried to build the Brunkild dyke in record time.  But St Norbert was force evacuated (I helped my friend's family move everything out of his aunt's basement).

Im sure there will be tons of Flood coverage in a month, the 20 year anniversary.

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

A "state rival" doesn't really exist in the NFL... Not only are the cowboys and Texans not in the same division, they are not even in the same conference... The Cowboys main rivals are the Redskins and Giants....

If Tony Romo wanted to play again this year, it would definitely be in Houston... 

If Romo signed to play with the Texans all the press locally and nationally would have its eyes on Houston and not with the Cowboys and Jerry is all about having his team as the focal point not only in Texas but in football in general after all they are America's team. Doesn't matter what sport it is if there and 2 or more teams playing the same sport in the same state they are rivals both for fans and for media.

36 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

97 was worse then 86 imho because the snow was packed down by the wind. Or so I think.

There was more snow in 97 than 86.  I seem to remember 86 feeling worse because it seemed to shut the city down longer.  The combination of improved snow clearing operations and warm temperatures made 97 easier to handle.

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There was more snow in 97 than 86.  I seem to remember 86 feeling worse because it seemed to shut the city down longer.  The combination of improved snow clearing operations and warm temperatures made 97 easier to handle.

86 seemed worse to me too. Likely because, the snow stayed around in 86 and all the winter snow had melted in 97.

And, I was much smaller in 86. The plowed snow seemed like mountains and the hills at the school were incredible.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Very interesting. I'm not sure how to feel. I spoke to an ER nurse who told me about this last week. She said changes can be great but no one believes the government won't screw it up. They have to expand the remaining ER's and redeploy other ER docs so you don't have six docs spread out to six facilities but now maybe you have six or hopefully more at three. 

Plus trying to divert people away from these facilities is a good idea. If you go to the ER at 2 am and wait 8 hours you might as well have gone to your GP or walk in. 

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Very interesting. I'm not sure how to feel. I spoke to an ER nurse who told me about this last week. She said changes can be great but no one believes the government won't screw it up. They have to expand the remaining ER's and redeploy other ER docs so you don't have six docs spread out to six facilities but now maybe you have six or hopefully more at three. 

Plus trying to divert people away from these facilities is a good idea. If you go to the ER at 2 am and wait 8 hours you might as well have gone to your GP or walk in. 

Bad news for peeps in South Winnipeg for sure.

37 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I'd be interested in how many of the 50 beds for mental health services added to Victoria hospital are just re-allocated beds. Sad that mental health issues weren't given more attention considering how ill-equipped hospitals, especially ERs, are to treat mental health issues and yet they see so many. I know I'm biased, but I think addressing mental health-related visits would go a long way to improving services overall. 

1 hour ago, StevetheClub said:

I'd be interested in how many of the 50 beds for mental health services added to Victoria hospital are just re-allocated beds. Sad that mental health issues weren't given more attention considering how ill-equipped hospitals, especially ERs, are to treat mental health issues and yet they see so many. I know I'm biased, but I think addressing mental health-related visits would go a long way to improving services overall. 

No doubt but we do have a place for to send those with urgent mental health issues at the Crisis Response Centre.

On 4/6/2017 at 10:49 AM, JCon said:

86 seemed worse to me too. Likely because, the snow stayed around in 86 and all the winter snow had melted in 97.

And, I was much smaller in 86. The plowed snow seemed like mountains and the hills at the school were incredible.

That's right, I remember raking my lawn the day before the blizzard hit.

7 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Bad news for peeps in South Winnipeg for sure.

Victoria will still be urgent care and we have the new quick care too. How many people go to th "ER" for a legitimate emergency?  It's all Urgent Care or less. 

Heart attacks and serious trauma are probably most likely ambulance calls and they'll go to HSC or st b

28 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Victoria will still be urgent care and we have the new quick care too. How many people go to th "ER" for a legitimate emergency?  It's all Urgent Care or less. 

Heart attacks and serious trauma are probably most likely ambulance calls and they'll go to HSC or st b

And frankly, you want to be at HSC or St B in those situations. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

And frankly, you want to be at HSC or St B in those situations. 

Absolutely. 

Although in speaking to a media friend today I asked what happens if someone walks into Victoria suffering a heart attack that takes a bad turn. They have to wait for an ambulance to come and take them somewhere else?  I assume the urgent care docs would assist you. 

This really should be good. But winnipeggers will reject it at first. 

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Absolutely. 

Although in speaking to a media friend today I asked what happens if someone walks into Victoria suffering a heart attack that takes a bad turn. They have to wait for an ambulance to come and take them somewhere else?  I assume the urgent care docs would assist you. 

This really should be good. But winnipeggers will reject it at first. 

They would move you, via ambulance, to St. B.

Fact is, even today, if you have a major heart issue, you won't stay at Vic anyhow.   

There are doctors there that can help but you're moved. 

United needs a lesson in PR.  Their latest boner:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/04/10/united-airlines-passenger-bloodied-apparently-dazed-after-being-forcibly-removed-from-flight-to-louisville-oh-my-god

I was on an Air Canada flight from...I cant remember, it might have been Quebec City.  At the airport and they asked for volunteers to take a later flight which was something like 2-3 hours later.  They wanted two volunteers.  No one stepped up.  They delayed and basically said they werent leaving until they found two people willing to take the later flight.  They made an offer, I dont recall what it was but something like $200 each.  So a guy went up and said he was in a party of 3 and would take the deal if they gave it to the three of them and Air Canada declined.

Finally, they bumped two people.  Oddly, the plane wasnt even half full and they were very specific about spreading the weight of the passengers around lol

But to me, United over sold.  You keep raising your offer until you find people willing to take a later flight.  Its that simple.  Now this guy is going to sue and it will cost United way more.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

But to me, United over sold.  You keep raising your offer until you find people willing to take a later flight.  Its that simple.  Now this guy is going to sue and it will cost United way more.

United always oversells. And Air Canada does too: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-canada-bumping-overbooking-airline-1.4060820