Coaching Staff 2016

Goalie

Hire Bud Grant to coach the coach.....Can't have too many football minds past or present on board...Heck we could have as many coaches as riders have in their scouting dept....Get the cheque book out..After that cynical rant, I don't see where it's a bad thing for a capable guy like Lapo or O'Shea doing 2 jobs...You certainly get to know every idiosyncrasy of every player...which can be a good thing.

another thing to consider... who is available to coach right now?... I don't mind O'Shea as the ST coordinator but I would like someone in an assistant ST coach capacity to work with the group when he is doing HC things... also for in-game adjustments and coaching... 

19 hours ago, TBURGESS said:
16 hours ago, saskbluefan said:

Did I read somewhere in the last couple of days that Lapo was going to be the Receivers Coach or was I just drunk?  Or maybe both?

IMO... Coaching is a full time job and every time you give more than 1 full time job to a coach you're making them work twice as hard and dividing their focus. I'd rather a rookie receivers coach to handle the day to day with PLAP doing the top end work than PLAP doing both jobs full time. Same goes for O'Shea as the HC/STC. BTW: Yes... I know other coaches do it at a high level, but I'm not convinced that either PLAP or O'Shea are able to do 2 full time jobs.

probably both lol.  but yea you are correct LaPo to coach receivers as well as per rumour mill at the combine.

On 3/14/2016 at 11:27 AM, Noeller said:

MOS as ST hasn't been confirmed yet, either........likely, but not confirmed.....

I'd kinda like to see Mike delegate the ST coach job to someone else and really focus on becoming the best HC he can be. He's gotta be lights-out as a HC this year. No excuses. Walters has given him everything he needs to succeed personnel-wise. Here's to hoping for the best MOS we could ever hope for.

5 hours ago, J5V said:

I'd kinda like to see Mike delegate the ST coach job to someone else and really focus on becoming the best HC he can be. He's gotta be lights-out as a HC this year. No excuses. Walters has given him everything he needs to succeed personnel-wise. Here's to hoping for the best MOS we could ever hope for.

What the **** does this even mean? What, specifically, about the job of being a HC does he need to improve on, based on your intel from being in the locker room and on the sidelines with him?

And you're SERIOUSLY going to say that Walters has given him EVERYTHING he needs to be successful........really?

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

What the **** does this even mean? What, specifically, about the job of being a HC does he need to improve on, based on your intel from being in the locker room and on the sidelines with him?

And you're SERIOUSLY going to say that Walters has given him EVERYTHING he needs to be successful........really?

I don't know about everything, but I think our team looks pretty good personnel-wise right now.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

I don't know about everything, but I think our team looks pretty good personnel-wise right now.

Does it really? Same questions about the OL, same questions about the DL far as I can see... They added some receivers and a bit of NI depth but there's still some questions about this team. I seem to recall people saying after FA last year that the team looked pretty good personnel wise as well. Given his history Walters doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt because this team has been lacking talent his whole tenure. I'm giving him a chance to come through for sure, but he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because he hasn't earned that yet. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Does it really? Same questions about the OL, same questions about the DL far as I can see... They added some receivers and a bit of NI depth but there's still some questions about this team. I seem to recall people saying after FA last year that the team looked pretty good personnel wise as well. Given his history Walters doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt because this team has been lacking talent his whole tenure. I'm giving him a chance to come through for sure, but he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because he hasn't earned that yet. 

I can't see how we really have any questions about the DL - this is the most solid our DL has been in forever. I guess if you have reservations about the one rush end spot, but I'm pretty happy with Justin Cole myself. Our D (on paper) actually looks incredibly strong and camp hasn't even broken yet.

OL still a concern for me, that's about it - but that IS a big one.

if we could have gotten Laing on the other end of the Dline in FA I would have kicked my cat in excitement (not really). at least he's down south, instead of signed elsewhere in the league. If he doesnt stick in Miami, would it be worth Walters time and effort to make a run for him? I think it would have blown our ratio wide open for a ton of flexibility to have Westerman, Shologan and Laing on the line, 

38 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

if we could have gotten Laing on the other end of the Dline in FA I would have kicked my cat in excitement (not really). at least he's down south, instead of signed elsewhere in the league. If he doesnt stick in Miami, would it be worth Walters time and effort to make a run for him? I think it would have blown our ratio wide open for a ton of flexibility to have Westerman, Shologan and Laing on the line, 

I'm of the mindset that it can be detrimental to have your Canadians all stacked on the DL like that. I'd rather rotate Laing in if we had him, not start him.