It's all going to be alright ...

IC Khari

3 hours ago, iso_55 said:

We signed Nicholls. It's a great signing Floyd. Really the best case scenario.

You can't think of a better scenario than signing Nichols?

19 minutes ago, J5V said:

How about Lulay or Ray?

Ray re-signed in Toronto so he's under contract to the Argos. Wouldn't want to come here to backup Willy. Lulay, bad shoulder & one hit away from retiring still has ideas he wants to be a starter. If he's going to leave just to be a backup somewhere then he might as well just stay in BC as he has roots in Vancouver now as well as being close to his family in Oregon.

6 hours ago, Floyd said:

I'm not talking 'backup', I'm talking about signing someone to push Willy or replace him when he gets hurt five games into the season...

Harris' stats are better than Willy's, especially the TD to INT ratio.  Walters would be crazy not to look at him... but he probably won't.  We'll see if it was totally MB or partly Willy's happy feet...

Do you honestly think we can afford to have both Willy's contract and what is likely a fairly large deal Harris is looking for both on the books? Especially when we need to bring in depth (and some starters) in so many other positions? I'd rather spend that money on upgrading OL, DL, and WR.

With the lack of quality, experienced QBs in the league, it's nearly impossible to have 2 guys like Willy and Harris on the same roster. The places where you see QBs pushing the starters are when a young guy on his first, tiny contract shows enough to push the experienced guy. Otherwise, you're looking at QBs like Nicholls, Glenn, and Tate (and likely now Lulay) -- guys with some wins under their belt, but aren't likely to be starting anywhere unless the #1 goes down.

I'm fairly confident the money Harris is looking for is more than what Nicholls got -- and if he's not going to get starter's cash, he's probably inclined to stay in Toronto where he knows the system and would still be 1B to a guy who's on the tail end of his career.

23 minutes ago, comedygeek said:

Do you honestly think we can afford to have both Willy's contract and what is likely a fairly large deal Harris is looking for both on the books? Especially when we need to bring in depth (and some starters) in so many other positions? I'd rather spend that money on upgrading OL, DL, and WR.

With the lack of quality, experienced QBs in the league, it's nearly impossible to have 2 guys like Willy and Harris on the same roster. The places where you see QBs pushing the starters are when a young guy on his first, tiny contract shows enough to push the experienced guy. Otherwise, you're looking at QBs like Nicholls, Glenn, and Tate (and likely now Lulay) -- guys with some wins under their belt, but aren't likely to be starting anywhere unless the #1 goes down.

I'm fairly confident the money Harris is looking for is more than what Nicholls got -- and if he's not going to get starter's cash, he's probably inclined to stay in Toronto where he knows the system and would still be 1B to a guy who's on the tail end of his career.

I'm confused now... we can't afford Harris but now he's going to stay in Toronto as the backup... but for more money than Nichols...

Glenn and Tate I HOPE are getting more $$ than Nichols... and Lulay is making starters $$...

Offer Harris $200-250 base with incentives up to $400-450... then worry about the cap if he's cup MVP

You seem to think it's just so simple. Just offer him $200 grand with incentives & he'll want to come here. He won't come here. I can see him going to Montreal or even Saskatchewan where he can start. I'm satisfied we have Willy & now Nicholls. We need to sign a promising young qb for the #3 position. 

Edited by iso_55

3 hours ago, iso_55 said:

You seem to think it's just so simple. Just offer him $200 grand with incentives & he'll want to come here. He won't come here. I can see him going to Montreal or even Saskatchewan where he can start. I'm satisfied we have Willy & now Nicholls. We need to sign a promising young qb for the #3 position. 

These are the same old arguments when people said Burris and Collaros would never sign here or we didn't need them...  In one breath you say we could never afford him and he wants starters money... then you suggest that he'll go to Saskatchewan where Durant is making $500k

Newsflash - Harris would have as much chance starting here as anywhere.

7 hours ago, Floyd said:

I'm confused now... we can't afford Harris but now he's going to stay in Toronto as the backup... but for more money than Nichols...

Glenn and Tate I HOPE are getting more $$ than Nichols... and Lulay is making starters $$...

Offer Harris $200-250 base with incentives up to $400-450... then worry about the cap if he's cup MVP

Harris has publicly stated he wants to be the highest paid QB in the CFL... now that may be unrealistic for him but if you think he's gonna take an incentive-laden contract to back up somewhere, you're mistaken... I would suspect he might look to sign somewhere like Mtl, where they have no clear starter... BC might even be an option if they are not ready to hand the keys to Jennings...

I'm actually surprised Toronto chose to sign Ray over Harris... I thought they might be ready to move forward with him...

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

Harris has publicly stated he wants to be the highest paid QB in the CFL... now that may be unrealistic for him but if you think he's gonna take an incentive-laden contract to back up somewhere, you're mistaken... I would suspect he might look to sign somewhere like Mtl, where they have no clear starter... BC might even be an option if they are not ready to hand the keys to Jennings...

I'm actually surprised Toronto chose to sign Ray over Harris... I thought they might be ready to move forward with him...

That was reported by the Sun when Harris was tearing up the league...  fact is he's not going to be the highest paid QB in the league.

I actually think he goes back to Toronto - Ray signed a reduced, incentive laden deal - basically Toronto ends up with the situation that I am hoping for in Winnipeg...  1A and 1B - whatever Nichols says he is not a 1B

19 hours ago, Floyd said:

If you read what I said, you'd see that I said *if* nobody gives him guaranteed starter's money, he'll likely stay in Toronto where he knows the system and has the most likely chance of being their guy long-term (Ray isn't staying forever).

Were Saskatchewan to sign him, as iso suggested might be the case, it would certainly be at the expense of Durant. They'd be bringing Harris in to be the starter, and would pay him accordingly, and so they wouldn't keep a salary like Durant's on the books. Which in my opinion would actually be the smart move -- Durant isn't worth the money healthy, but he certainly isn't worth the headache even if the salary isn't counted to the cap because he's injured.

Montreal would also be better off with Harris than with Glenn or any of their other QBs. And they certainly aren't paying any of their guys legit franchise QB money.

Winnipeg, however, is paying their #1 guy franchise QB money, and so the only thing we could have offered would be a $200k base with incentives -- which is the same as he'd likely get in Toronto, thus why would he considering coming here??

12 hours ago, Floyd said:

These are the same old arguments when people said Burris and Collaros would never sign here or we didn't need them...  In one breath you say we could never afford him and he wants starters money... then you suggest that he'll go to Saskatchewan where Durant is making $500k

He'll go to Saskatchewan for starters money and Jones quickly cuts Durant.

13 hours ago, Floyd said:

It's not the old argument. The Bombers have committed to Drew Willy as their starter. Until another decision is made to replace him things won't change. The Bombers are paying Willy  in the neighbourhood of $400,000 a year as the starter. Speculating, I'd say Willy's deal is in the area of $150-175,000 a year & maybe a bit more. Harris isn't coming here as the money at the qb position is now spent. We're far better off a that position as we've been in a decade. Now they just have to dump Brohm.

51 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

It's not the old argument. The Bombers have committed to Drew Willy as their starter. Until another decision is made to replace him things won't change. The Bombers are paying Willy  in the neighbourhood of $400,000 a year as the starter. Speculating, I'd say Willy's deal is in the area of $150-175,000 a year & maybe a bit more. Harris isn't coming here as the money at the qb position is now spent. We're far better off a that position as we've been in a decade. Now they just have to dump Brohm.

keeping Nichols in blue and gold was the best, feasible option for us to have a dependable,  cfl-proven backup QB.  We clearly needed a backup capable of playing the game as soon as he walks on the field as opposed to learning the game more a la Marve, Davis or Brohm were in the midst (or in the midst) of doing.    He has shown that he can run an offense, move the ball and be a good option in lieu of our starter.