Paris Attacks

The Unknown Poster

I saw something about Trudeau wanting to house refugees on abandoned military complexes and there was reaction that in Winnipeg that would be an area of town with a large Jewish population and how well would that fly.

I believe though, that Kappyong is completely unsuitable for housing (or so I had read on another forum talking about ways to use it), so a moot point.  I thought it was a silly argument though... would refugees in a place like Canada really care?  And would Jews in the area really care?  Im neither and my Jewish buddies wouldnt care so I cant say for sure. 

Word from a Conservative connection here in West Kelowna is that Trudeau has put a strict gag order on his MP's to refrain from talking to the media about the Syrian refugee issue.  If this is true (and I don't expect the "We Love Trudeau" media to report it), how is he doing anything differently than the last guy who was Prime Minister?  Oh right, it's totally ok when Justin does it.

Good LORD!  When will this control freak stop! lol  I kid I kid

The only thing that Justin has done thus far that annoys me is when he wouldnt take questions from Canadian media about the Paris situation, Canada's role and the refugees because he was "too busy" (my quotes) at the G20.

I can say I disliked his initial statements but its more splitting hairs about his speaking style which I find to be a bit too put on.  I find it a bit uncomfortable seeing him gladhand around during this time but thats politics

I saw something about Trudeau wanting to house refugees on abandoned military complexes and there was reaction that in Winnipeg that would be an area of town with a large Jewish population and how well would that fly.

I believe though, that Kappyong is completely unsuitable for housing (or so I had read on another forum talking about ways to use it), so a moot point.  I thought it was a silly argument though... would refugees in a place like Canada really care?  And would Jews in the area really care?  Im neither and my Jewish buddies wouldnt care so I cant say for sure. 

Word from a Conservative connection here in West Kelowna is that Trudeau has put a strict gag order on his MP's to refrain from talking to the media about the Syrian refugee issue.  If this is true (and I don't expect the "We Love Trudeau" media to report it), how is he doing anything differently than the last guy who was Prime Minister?  Oh right, it's totally ok when Justin does it.

Good LORD!  When will this control freak stop! lol 

Don't let the truth stop a good pile on.

PS nice edit to try to spin it as a joke.

The gag order thing would hold more weight if it came from a Liberal source rather than a Conservative one.  

It literally took 2 seconds on Google to find a Liberal MP speaking to the "We Love Trudeau" media about this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/refugee-controversy-in-goose-bay-1.3322572

LOL - yes of course it would add more weight, but I don't think you will see it.  Thanks for the link.  I'll report back to my "source" and see if they want to moderate what they're telling me.  At the very least, I would expect Trudeau to be trying to control the message, as any leader would do, given the political implications of this hot potato.  Especially after the Americans just vetoed Obama's Syrian plan.

EDIT - I read the link, and this Liberal MP is extremely pro refugee.  To clarify, my "source" was telling me that Trudeau has ordered all Liberal MP's to toe the line like this MP is doing, and to say nothing negative about the refugees, no matter what their personal beliefs.  It just struck me as very Harperesque of him.  Which is something this new guy wasn't going to do, according to people here.  I always assumed that this was extremely naïve.  All of the leaders do it.  The media just made sure that everyone knew it when Harper did it.

What part of "LOL" made you think I was serious?  lol 

PS: Geeeeeeeee dont be needlessly obtuse.  LOL

EDIT: The only thing I added to my statement was "I kid I kid" as when I edited to add the next, essentially unrelated part, I figured someone here would get their liberal panties in a knot.

House overwhelmingly approves bill to suspend program that allows Syrian and Iraqi refugees into U.S.

Too many journalists ignore the West's role in all of this. Our countries have spent the past century mistreating the Middle East. When we weren't doing that, we were supplying them with weapons.

If we are to believe the media avoids mentioning Muslims in their news stories because it's not politically correct, then we should believe a thousand times more that our own governments carry a good share of the blame.

The middle east has hated us for way longer than 100 years.

Islam has been trying to eradicate Christianity since it's inception 1400 years ago.

And there has been an ethic cleansing of christians going on there for over a hundred years.

In the early 20th century 20% of the population of the middle east was Christian. ....now it's 5% and quickly falling.

Birthrates among Caucasians has been falling for decades. Not just middle-east.

Odd that a soccer game would attract a stadium full of Islamic radicals.

I miss the old school soccer radicals.Good times, good times.

uyB6bV4.jpg?1

EDIT: The only thing I added to my statement was "I kid I kid" as when I edited to add the next, essentially unrelated part, I figured someone here would get their liberal panties in a knot.

House overwhelmingly approves bill to suspend program that allows Syrian and Iraqi refugees into U.S.

Please, you've taken every chance you've gotten to take shots at Trudeau.  When you get called on it, you say it was a joke or that it's fair since people did it to Harper.

I haven't read the entire thread but from what I have read it seems the fact that none of the terrorists were refugees has been ignored in the discussion.

I havent seen if this has been changed in the last couple of days but from BBC:

Ahmad al-Mohammad, from Idlib in Syria, has been named as one of the attackers involved in Friday's terror attacks in Paris.

His was the name on a Syrian passport found with the remains of one of the attackers, though the man's identity has not yet been verified.

It is believed he entered mainland Europe after arriving by boat on the Greek island of Leros, like many refugees fleeing Syria's civil war.

Additionally, other terrorists have entered countries as refugees, perhaps most infamously the Boston Marathon bombers.

I'll be honest, as much as I think Trudeau's plan is politically motivated based on how it looks, and I think prudence requires a step back, I am hesitant when I see so many US states determined to ban refugees.  I dont want to embrace a knee-jerk reaction.  In a perfect world, or even a normal world, we should do our part to help people.  However, its not a perfect or normal world.

ISIS has said they will hide operatives among refugees.  If it was any other group and any other event, we wouldnt hesitate but to choose more security. 

If Trudeau goes ahead with his plan and someone commits a terrorist attack in Canada or the US (entering by means of Canada) who was among these refugees, what would Trudeau say then?  When someone says how they will attack you, you dont shrug and say "odds are long". 

How many Arab nations are taking in refugees?  I think some people get this impression that the entire world is bringing in tens of thousands of refugees and us hateful Canadians are wanting to *gasp* fully vet any before we bring them in, and its not true.  Never mind the economic and social issues of bringing in so many.

Its a complicated issue.  I'd love to help as many people as possible and accept that they are all good people with no ill intentions.  But if I had to take responsibility for their actions, I couldnt do it.

1. The person blew him/her self up - but the passport was still in good condition

2. The desire of US governors to ban refugees - is also politically motivated

3. The refugees who will come to Canada have been in UN refugee camps for a few years

4. How many countries are taking in refugees? I would counter that with some other questions - which are merely food for thought

a) How many countries took in Jewish refugees during the Holocaust?  Very few

b ) Did people / countries take a risk when they helped Jewish refugees? Absolutely

c) Was it a greater risk than taking in the current refugees?  It's hard to argue otherwise

I think the other question you should be asking is how many rich Arab countries are taking in refugees? Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar & Kuwat? The answer is zero. Yet, we are supposed to bring in an influx of 25,000 in a month? Why are these countries doing nothing?

The gag order thing would hold more weight if it came from a Liberal source rather than a Conservative one.  

It literally took 2 seconds on Google to find a Liberal MP speaking to the "We Love Trudeau" media about this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/refugee-controversy-in-goose-bay-1.3322572

LOL - yes of course it would add more weight, but I don't think you will see it.  Thanks for the link.  I'll report back to my "source" and see if they want to moderate what they're telling me.  At the very least, I would expect Trudeau to be trying to control the message, as any leader would do, given the political implications of this hot potato.  Especially after the Americans just vetoed Obama's Syrian plan.

EDIT - I read the link, and this Liberal MP is extremely pro refugee.  To clarify, my "source" was telling me that Trudeau has ordered all Liberal MP's to toe the line like this MP is doing, and to say nothing negative about the refugees, no matter what their personal beliefs.  It just struck me as very Harperesque of him.  Which is something this new guy wasn't going to do, according to people here.  I always assumed that this was extremely naïve.  All of the leaders do it.  The media just made sure that everyone knew it when Harper did it.

Toeing the party line and muzzling the MP's are two different things though (not saying either is right).  If your "source" is correct, then yes the media should be reporting on it but I also doubt we'll hear much about it (although the Sun media group will have no reservations).

Please, you've taken every chance you've gotten to take shots at Trudeau.  When you get called on it, you say it was a joke or that it's fair since people did it to Harper.

Not true.  I was the first person on this forum to make note of my congrats to Trudeau and my hope for his success.  I've also called out people and insisted the position of PM is deserving of respect.

its hard to see sometimes, especially wearing rose-tinted glasses.  Criticism of our elected officials is always fair game.  And IF Trudeau put a gag order on his MP's it certainly is fair game.  And if it is true, I'd say he's a hypocrite (or at least those that hung it on Harper) but I wouldnt fault him for it.  Controlling the message and the team vision is part of the job in my humble opinion.  I have no issue with it.  Good enough?

I think the other question you should be asking is how many rich Arab countries are taking in refugees? Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar & Kuwat? The answer is zero. Yet, we are supposed to bring in an influx of 25,000 in a month? Why are these countries doing nothing?

Because, they aren't democratically elected governments.  They can do whatever they want. And they aren't going to take in anybody - why would they?  That means less money in the pockets of the regime that controls the country.  Humanitarianism isn't something that these kinds of countries engage in.

Respect has to be earned. Doesn't matter if it's the Prime mininster or the person who delivers the newspaper to your door. Being elected PM doesn't give him the right to think he'll be respected.Only Trudeau's actions & words can do that. 

Well this I disagree with.  And I disagreed with it vehemently when people trash Obama.  The position deserves respect.

And disagreeing on politics is not reason enough to disrespect someone as a person.  I dont dislike Justin personally.  I dont know him personally.  I hope he does well.  I was very attracted to Stephen Harper (politically...haha), but now he is gone, Im probably just as likely to vote Liberal next time as Conservative (well, maybe 60-40).

Respect has to be earned. Doesn't matter if it's the Prime mininster or the person who delivers the newspaper to your door. Being elected PM doesn't give him the right to think he'll be respected.Only Trudeau's actions & words can do that. 

Well this I disagree with.  And I disagreed with it vehemently when people trash Obama.  The position deserves respect.

And disagreeing on politics is not reason enough to disrespect someone as a person.  I dont dislike Justin personally.  I dont know him personally.  I hope he does well.  I was very attracted to Stephen Harper (politically...haha), but now he is gone, Im probably just as likely to vote Liberal next time as Conservative (well, maybe 60-40).

Was it because of his hair?

Was it because of his hair?

His beady eyes!

Because, they aren't democratically elected governments.  They can do whatever they want. And they aren't going to take in anybody - why would they?  That means less money in the pockets of the regime that controls the country.  Humanitarianism isn't something that these kinds of countries engage in.

The hypocrisy of people who criticize anyone for wanting to slow the process down is sure prevalent here. The people criticizing anyone about immigration of Syrian refugees saying nothing about how these Arab countries refuse to fight against ISIS or for not taking  any refugees from Syria.

The hypocrisy of people who criticize anyone for wanting to slow the process down is sure prevalent here. The people criticizing anyone about immigration of Syrian refugees saying nothing about how these Arab countries refuse to fight against ISIS or for not taking  any refugees from Syria.

Saudi is definitely fighting ISIS, but they aren't taking any refugees. 

I haven't read the entire thread but from what I have read it seems the fact that none of the terrorists were refugees has been ignored in the discussion.

I havent seen if this has been changed in the last couple of days but from BBC:

Ahmad al-Mohammad, from Idlib in Syria, has been named as one of the attackers involved in Friday's terror attacks in Paris.

His was the name on a Syrian passport found with the remains of one of the attackers, though the man's identity has not yet been verified.

It is believed he entered mainland Europe after arriving by boat on the Greek island of Leros, like many refugees fleeing Syria's civil war.

Additionally, other terrorists have entered countries as refugees, perhaps most infamously the Boston Marathon bombers.

I'll be honest, as much as I think Trudeau's plan is politically motivated based on how it looks, and I think prudence requires a step back, I am hesitant when I see so many US states determined to ban refugees.  I dont want to embrace a knee-jerk reaction.  In a perfect world, or even a normal world, we should do our part to help people.  However, its not a perfect or normal world.

ISIS has said they will hide operatives among refugees.  If it was any other group and any other event, we wouldnt hesitate but to choose more security. 

If Trudeau goes ahead with his plan and someone commits a terrorist attack in Canada or the US (entering by means of Canada) who was among these refugees, what would Trudeau say then?  When someone says how they will attack you, you dont shrug and say "odds are long". 

How many Arab nations are taking in refugees?  I think some people get this impression that the entire world is bringing in tens of thousands of refugees and us hateful Canadians are wanting to *gasp* fully vet any before we bring them in, and its not true.  Never mind the economic and social issues of bringing in so many.

Its a complicated issue.  I'd love to help as many people as possible and accept that they are all good people with no ill intentions.  But if I had to take responsibility for their actions, I couldnt do it.

1. The person blew him/her self up - but the passport was still in good condition

2. The desire of US governors to ban refugees - is also politically motivated

3. The refugees who will come to Canada have been in UN refugee camps for a few years

4. How many countries are taking in refugees? I would counter that with some other questions - which are merely food for thought

a) How many countries took in Jewish refugees during the Holocaust?  Very few

b ) Did people / countries take a risk when they helped Jewish refugees? Absolutely

c) Was it a greater risk than taking in the current refugees?  It's hard to argue otherwise

I'm guessing these countries don't take in very many refugees - from anywhere. Canada takes in 10 000 refugees every year. I would bet every single year we could have found a country that wasn't taking any.

Too many journalists ignore the West's role in all of this. Our countries have spent the past century mistreating the Middle East. When we weren't doing that, we were supplying them with weapons.

If we are to believe the media avoids mentioning Muslims in their news stories because it's not politically correct, then we should believe a thousand times more that our own governments carry a good share of the blame.

Islam has been trying to eradicate Christianity since it's inception 1400 years ago.

And there has been an ethic cleansing of christians going on there for over a hundred years.

In the early 20th century 20% of the population of the middle east was Christian. ....now it's 5% and quickly falling.

Cause it's not like Christianity hasn't tried to eradicate other religions throughout history. 

Cause it's not like Christianity hasn't tried to eradicate other religions throughout history. 

Ah yes, the infamous Obama "high horse" argument. 

d820f910-8ee6-11e5-871c-fd8c46416a4d_San

This is the beauty who had a penchant for boys and boozing -- then blew herself to bits in the name of ISIS.

Hasna Ait Boulahcen, 26, obliterated herself -- her head and spine flew through a window -- after French anti-terror cops raided the hideout where she holed up with her cousin, Paris massacre mastermind Abdelhamid Abaaoud.

Now, friends and family are trying to reconcile the fun-loving stunner who smoked, drank and partied with the maniac killed Wednesday.

Her brother, Youssouf Ait Boulahcen, said he never once saw her open the Qur'an and that the frightening changes in his sister occurred all in the past month.

"She was living in her own world. She was not interested in studying her religion," he said in a statement. "She was permanently on her phone, looking at Facebook or WhatsApp.

"I told her to stop all of this but she would not listen, she ignored my numerous attempts to give her advice, telling me I was not her dad, or her husband, and so I should leave her alone."

After her death, photos emerged of a fun-loving young woman posing for a selfie in the bath wearing only jewelry.

Pal Amin Abou, 26, called her "a party animal who loved clubbing."

"I would see her in this club in Germany which is only 10 minutes away, but where we go out because it's much cheaper for alcohol," he told the Daily Mail, adding she loved cowboy hats.

"She didn't work or go to university. I don't think she even finished school ... She had a bad reputation. She had lots of boyfriends, but nothing serious."

But another friend suggested the daughter of Moroccan immigrants was lonely and had endured a difficult childhood, littered with foster homes.

A former neighbour described her as "outgoing" but "a bit clueless," and claims she started wearing a niqab about eight months ago.

"I can't believe she's part of this sect," the neighbour, known only as Hassane, said. "When I heard it, I felt sick. She was like all young girls -- it was who she was hanging out with."

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2015/11/19/22574799.html

^^^^ unbelievable that someone can be brainwashed and manipulated so drastically and so quickly

@nppolitics: $500k federal ad campaign to tout refugee plan as a ‘national project,’ document reveals https://t.co/6fV43eRiGA

Not sure this plan, regardless of which side you're on, requires a marketing plan.