Is Coaching Everything?

BigBlue

What is the single biggest prerequisite for success?   

32 members have voted

1. 1. What is the biggest cause or factor in building a dynasty?

• Existing Talent
    • The scouts and recruitment system
    • Drafting Canadians well
    • Getting a franchise QB
    • The Head Coach
    • The President or owner
    • The GM
    • The Board of Directors
    • The Fan base
    • Other: please explain
  2. 2. What is it going to take to turn the Bombers around? The one biggest thing?

• New Head Coach
    • A new Coordinator or two
    • Better assistant coaches
    • New scouting
    • A new GM
    • A better president
    • New method of governance
    • Change in ownership
    • Overhauling and evaluating talent
  3. 3. How capable is the Winnipeg Football Club able to bring about needed change?

• Better than most clubs
    • As good as any club in the league
    • Below Average
    • Hopeless and we know it
    • Hopeless and we do not know it
    • Structurally incapable of real change
    • We have just been unlucky .... it's a matter of time, chance and patience
    • Success is random and everyone will get their place in the sun sooner or later
    • League equalization methods will eventually give us our chances

I couldnt really answer those based on the options.

1. needs several of those factors working together and being competent in building a dynasty. good scouting to bring the import talent. a good gm with good trade and drafting abilities, as well as knowing when to sign, extend and cut players.  and good coaching to make the pieces work.

2. biggest thing we need is better scouting,  our imports just dont measure up for the most part.

3. change of the bombers magnitude isnt like ripping off a band aid or turning on and off a light, but I think it needs to be done piece by piece. get rid of MB, get new scouts. bring in some better players and game plan better, that would be a start.

More than one choice could be picked in each category, but the question is what's the biggest factor.

The biggest factor IMO is horrible hiring decisions. I'm not sure if that's because we continue to look for the cheapest options or if experience isn't weighted high enough or the people making the decisions don't know what they are looking for or if we have a bad reputation, but we never seem to get the best candidates to sign with us. When we go into competition with other teams for the top GM's or Coaches, we lose. Same holds true for players unless we're willing to pay them the most like Moore, Westerman and Bryant.

If we want better players then we need better scouting and a better GM who has better contacts down south. If we want to maximize the potential with those players then we need better coaching and better schemes. Once we start winning again, we need to retain the best as much as possible and continue to bring in as much new talent to push the old talent.

The team all stems from the GM. He puts his scouts in place, he hires his coach. If there's a problem on the team look no further than the guy who put the pieces in place. Now maybe you could go higher up the chain to the man who hires the GM, but for this discussion I think it's best to say that we need a better performance from our GM. If I could only replace one member of the Bombers staff it's obviously Bellefool, but if I could make 2 changes Kyle Walters is #2. 

Miller put this organization together so he should be held accountable. But he won't be fired. If Walters goes, then O'Shea can't survive with a new GM. Mike better hope Guelph doesn't come a calling.

I don't know about that. A new GM might like the guy. He might not but it's not like O'Shea was a totally out of left field hire for head coach. 

Miller put this organization together so he should be held accountable. But he won't be fired. If Walters goes, then O'Shea can't survive with a new GM. Mike better hope Guelph doesn't come a calling.

Why not? Lets tighten the foil hats and suppose Miller would only hire a gm who agrees to keep O'Shea.

Then you you only get a shitty GM who is so desperate for the job he will do whatever he needs to do to get that job...

A great GM will have to be able to run his team his way

Why not? Lets tighten the foil hats and suppose Miller would only hire a gm who agrees to keep O'Shea.

Then you you only get a shitty GM who is so desperate for the job he will do whatever he needs to do to get that job...

A great GM will have to be able to run his team his way

Paging Mr Taman, Mr Brendan Taman

1. Picked other because it is never just one thing that builds a strong team.

2. The only way to fix this team is find an independent "auditor" to find what it is that has made this team suck for the better part of 25 years.

3. Hopeless and we know it.

The team hasn't sucked for 25 years tho. They have been real good actually just haven't won.

The biggest problem is the most obvious one Tho. We need our QB to stay healthy. We haven't really had a QB for a while... before Willy was a bunch of crap and before him was Glenn and a bunch of crap and before him Khari and a bunch of crap. The years we had decent QBS we were pretty good. The years we didn't.... we weren't. It's all about qbs and Canadians and we have lacked both more often than not

Perhaps like Duane ford said tonight... you can't rebuild in a couple years anymore. It takes time. Perhaps expectations are too high at times.

Ottawa had a QB that stayed healthy all year. If Collaros wasn't hurt... Hamilton would be getting the bye. Edmonton had a very good D... they are the reason they are as good as they are. Rielly is ok but nothing special... Christ Matt Nichols was like 5 and 2 as Esks starter.

Esks Canadian talent was and still is better than ours. Ottawa last year was better than ours. I don't think it's excuse making... it's reality... Bombers were in a brutal spot 2 years ago Canadian talent wise... Jake Thomas is the only Canadian Joe mack drafted who is still on the roster.

Ottawa had a QB that stayed healthy all year. If Collaros wasn't hurt... Hamilton would be getting the bye. Edmonton had a very good D... they are the reason they are as good as they are. Rielly is ok but nothing special... Christ Matt Nichols was like 5 and 2 as Esks starter.

My point is that the it takes years to build a winner argument that Forde and others have touted it false.

12 and 24 with this group. Going into year three and the goal is maybe sneaking into third and the playoffs? Give me a break.

7 and 23 since the 5-1 start. 6 and 21 since we started 6 and 3 and people defend this group?

I don't know about that. A new GM might like the guy. He might not but it's not like O'Shea was a totally out of left field hire for head coach. 

Most GMs like to bring in their guy. But I guess we'll find out soon enough if Walters leaves.

The team all stems from the GM. He puts his scouts in place, he hires his coach. If there's a problem on the team look no further than the guy who put the pieces in place. Now maybe you could go higher up the chain to the man who hires the GM, but for this discussion I think it's best to say that we need a better performance from our GM. If I could only replace one member of the Bombers staff it's obviously Bellefool, but if I could make 2 changes Kyle Walters is #2. 

If I was only allowed to fire one person, it would be Walters. You can fire MB but no OC will succeed with Walters OL, WR and RB "finds." 

Walters has to be really stupid to ignore the Guelph offer if it comes to him. He hasn't shone as the Bomber GM, and even if he survives the pending upheavals, he will be living on borrowed time for the next season with no tenure. If Walters bails, that has to make the ice under O'Shea a lot thinner.

Ottawa is a second year club that is likely to finish first in the east. Edmonton is first in the west and they won 4 games two years ago. Two years is a couple is it not? Is Forde making excuses or just ignorant?

Well would Ottawa have been finishing first in the east if Toronto or Hamilton hadn't had the injuries they did? Ottawa's key to success this year was being the only team to stay healthy at qb and offensive line. Makes a huge ******* difference. 

I really hope Walters leaves. The Bombers remind me of an ice jam on a river. Everything is clogged up behind it. Walters goes & then it's blown up. the head coach & scouting dept is reassessed. If Walters leaves it's not status quo anymore. If a new GM comes in, he's not loyal to O'Shea as he didn't hire him. Then we know there'll more than likely be changes.#fingerscrossed

I just don't know how the Bombers can sell a 5-13 season to the fanbase & expect that next season we'll go 11-7 or 12-6 with a playoff spot. It won't happen.

Ottawa is a second year club that is likely to finish first in the east. Edmonton is first in the west and they won 4 games two years ago. Two years is a couple is it not? Is Forde making excuses or just ignorant?

Well would Ottawa have been finishing first in the east if Toronto or Hamilton hadn't had the injuries they did? Ottawa's key to success this year was being the only team to stay healthy at qb and offensive line. Makes a huge ******* difference.

Excuses and stats are for losers.

Excuses and stats are for losers.

Reasons not excuses. You'd have to be some kind of stupid not to recognize the huge advantage that being the healthiest team imparts. If you don't have to test the depth of your team it's an advantage. Calgary's season is impressive because they over came a lot of injuries, Edmonton over came a bunch of injuries that's impressive, Ottawa remained healthy and I ain't impressed by it. 

I don't know about that. A new GM might like the guy. He might not but it's not like O'Shea was a totally out of left field hire for head coach

4 years of special teams coaching and you become a HC....that is Twilight Zone material.