Get Paul Jones!

Doc

My thought on the BoD... I feel like the major difference with a private ownership vs public is accountability... as far as everything else goes, it's pretty much a wash...

back to the thread title... Hadn't heard of Paul Jones... but after reading his profile he certainly has an impressive resume and would probably make a good GM....

I agree with Ducky (and many other around here)... I wanted John Murphy as GM in 2013... and I still want him now... 

No way is Paul Jones coming back here. He left here many years ago...in fact IMHO our decline from being a great team in the 80's and early 90's can be partially attributed to Paul Jones (and also Cal Murphy) leaving. We have had a few good years since then but not with any consistency that we had then...

I don't know (nor will I pretend to know) anything about Paul Jones... other than what's in his bio.... but I'm just curious what makes you think (know) he would absolutely never come here?

The Bombers BOD has traditionally been involved in the hiring process for both GM's and head coaches. Not the entire board, but ad hoc committees have been directly involved with the interviewing, short listing and final decisions.

Once doesn't make it traditionally. They did that after Bauer left as an over-reaction to giving Bauer too much power.
Nope. BOD members have been involved with the process for every hire since Cal Murphy (as far back as I go) and the process of every firing too. The CEO can't make those decisions about organization direction and payouts on his own. This is not unusual in any business, public or private. In my professional life I've never been hired by any less than a committee of 3 and am now on hiring committees/panels that range between 3 and 7.

I know Paul Jones and he works as a contract person who wants to reside in the U.S. He wants to spend as little time in Canada as possible for tax reasons. He has it figured out, it worked in Winnipeg and in Edmonton.

Thanks... if this is accurate then I agree... there's no way he'll be taking a GM job at this point in his career...

The Bombers BOD has traditionally been involved in the hiring process for both GM's and head coaches. Not the entire board, but ad hoc committees have been directly involved with the interviewing, short listing and final decisions.

Once doesn't make it traditionally. They did that after Bauer left as an over-reaction to giving Bauer too much power.
Nope. BOD members have been involved with the process for every hire since Cal Murphy (as far back as I go) and the process of every firing too. The CEO can't make those decisions about organization direction and payouts on his own. This is not unusual in any business, public or private. In my professional life I've never been hired by any less than a committee of 3 and am now on hiring committees/panels that range between 3 and 7.

Rubber stamping the CEO's decisions is far different than Striking committee for a hiring and firing.

Does logic dictate that if the BoD hired Miller and Miller hires Walters that you describe as a puzzler is the BoD then indirectly responsible for Walters being hired?

No not at all.  The BoD does what it does, Miller does what he does.  They didn't "indirectly" hire anyone.  I lend you my car.  You run someone over.  Did I indirectlyn them over?

So, Miller answers to absolutely no one? Who fired Butchko? Who hired Miller?

Of course Miller answers to the BoD. That he answers to the BoD does not make the BoD directly or indirectly responsible for the decisions he makes.  You're asking one question and trying to use the answer to frame an entirely different question.  

No, and this where I was confused by your answers. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass with you. I went back to 2013 & the BOD's hired Miller but it is my understanding Miller then fired Butchko as strange as that seemed. Now, I may have that wrong as well. I just wanted to clarify that Miller has autonomy to make decisions on behalf of the Board in hirings & firings but he does serve at the pleasure of the Blue Bombers BODs. they can fire him if they see fit. He does ultimately answer to them. . 

Does logic dictate that if the BoD hired Miller and Miller hires Walters that you describe as a puzzler is the BoD then indirectly responsible for Walters being hired?

No not at all.  The BoD does what it does, Miller does what he does.  They didn't "indirectly" hire anyone.  I lend you my car.  You run someone over.  Did I indirectlyn them over?

Of course Miller answers to the BoD. That he answers to the BoD does not make the BoD directly or indirectly responsible for the decisions he makes.  You're asking one question and trying to use the answer to frame an entirely different question.  

No, and this where I was confused by your answers. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass with you. I went back to 2013 & the BOD's hired Miller but it is my understanding Miller then fired Butchko as strange as that seemed. Now, I may have that wrong as well. I just wanted to clarify that Miller has autonomy to make decisions on behalf of the Board in hirings & firings but he does serve at the pleasure of the Blue Bombers BODs. they can fire him if they see fit. He does ultimately answer to them. . 

You were.  Buchko resigned.  Miller was then hired as CEO and in turn, he fired Mack.

You were.  Buchko resigned.  Miller was then hired as CEO and in turn, he fired Mack.

Yes, that's right.

Do you really believe Buchko resigned? Seriously......that was simply a description so everyone " thought" they might save face.

Yes he resigned.  The board would have, most likely,  told him that they had lost confidence in him.  His resignation would have been pretty much automatic at that point.  it's the way it's done in much of the business world with people at that level.  But then again, I would have thought a "Dr" would understand that.

Miller was the epitome of a nepotism hire. Local boy, Bomber alumni, son of a Bomber (and former board member). 

Doesn't make him incapable of doing the job. Just shows how the franchise operates. 

The fact that Miller did the "exhaustive search" for his buddy Walters should have been the writing on the wall. It was for me.

I personally lost a lot of respect for Miller when he "announced his retirement" -- at the Pinnacle head office. Cant pass up free publicity huh Wade? While Lamar McGriggs, who was ten times the player Miller ever was, gets a cursory mention in a throwaway news release.

And thats why we can't win a Cup in 25 years -- in a 8-10 team league.