Around the NHL

He was fired because he cannot take a team to the cup.

Last year was the farthest he has ever taken a team and he has coached some very, very talented teams. I think management was really patient by not firing him earlier but the writing was on the wall. They will do well with a better coach. I wonder what they would have done this year if Babcock went there last year and not TO.

If I'm management, I fire him too.

I think the NHL are in Vegas for the 2017-2018 season and I'd be really shocked if they weren't.

Interesting article by Scott Cullen taking a look at the Jets lineup next season.

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-winnipeg-jets-1.482316

Here is a very interesting stat regarding Byfuglien:

In addition to being able to drive play, Byfuglien is a rare talent, one who has scored 57 goals and recorded 639 hits over the past three seasons. Among the other defencemen that have at least 600 hits over the past three seasons, none have more than 11 goals. There is always concern that Byfuglien could get too heavy and lose effectiveness but, right now, he’s a premier defenceman. 

And for those that love to hate on Mark Suart:

32-year-old Mark Stuart brings a whole lot of grit and toughness to the Jets defence, but he’s consistentlyburied in the defensive zone and was one of two defencemen to play at least 1000 minutes and score fewer than four points. His ice time was down last year, to 16:21 per game, his lowest since 2010-2011, and that’s probably the direction that he’s going to be trending. 

You can keep on hating....

And his projected depth chart (not necessarily line combos).  Of course Laine really needs to be on the left side.  With Ehlers, Connor, and (probably) Laine, we would really have no room for Ladd.  

PROJECTED 2016-2017 DEPTH CHART

LEFT WING

CENTRE

RIGHT WING

Nikolaj Ehlers

Mark Scheifele

Blake Wheeler

Mathieu Perreault

Bryan Little

Patrik Laine

Kyle Connor

Alexander Burmistrov

Drew Stafford

Marko Dano

Adam Lowry

Joel Armia

Nic Petan

Andrew Copp

Chris Thorburn

Brendan Lemieux

Chase De Leo

Anthony Peluso

LEFT DEFENCE

RIGHT DEFENCE

GOALTENDER

Tobias Enstrom

Tyler Myers

Connor Hellebuyck

Jacob Trouba

Dustin Byfuglien

Ondrej Pavelec

Mark Stuart

Ben Chiarot

Michael Hutchinson

Josh Morrissey

Paul Postma

Julian Melchiori

Jan Kostalek

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Or Carlyle or Crawford 

Something about Crawford rubs me the wrong way. He's got that Dallas Eakins 'look at me' approach to coaching.

It's been nice without him in the league. I hope Toronto hires him, they deserve one another.

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Apparently there was in-fighting for awhile in Calgary. Hartley wasn't hired by Burke, so they never really got along. Boudreau is Burke's kinda guy. Both are assholes. 

Hartley wasn't their hire, but they did extend him in December 2014.

Or was that Treliving who extended Hartley prior to Burke joining management?

Possible but I just read a thing from Mark Spector (I know, I know... But still...) saying that he and Burke never got along. Burke and Carlyle have history so that might be something...