Around the NHL

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Interesting article from Willie Mitchell of the Florida Panthers.  He is out with the 7th concussion of his career at the age of 38 (39 later this month).

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/panthers-mitchell-talks-concussions-future-hockey/

He claims no one will speak publicly, but in the locker room, the players want the NHL to crack down and dish out more severe penalties to head shots.

I'm all for harsher suspensions, but you have to wonder where the NHLPA stands on this.  It seems that almost any suspension that is more then 5 - 10 games is appealed.  

They chose (or Raffi chose) not to appeal the Torres suspension earlier this year for 41 games for a head shot.

Yet they appealed the Wideman hit on referee Don Henderson who is still out with a concussion.

Players want harsher discipline for this dirty stuff in the game, stop appealing suspensions.

A player out with an injury still gets a paycheque.

A player out with a suspension does not.

The NHLPA's top priority isn't protecting the players, it's protecting the paycheques.

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

I didn't know where to put this..

Can anyone tell me where is the best place to buy a Jets jersey?

I am looking for a female Byfuglien jersey.

I dont think they sell gender specific jerseys. T-shirts sure.

Best deal on jerseys i've seen ive been in the USA so Amerifriend would be needed.

More cap trouble for the Hawks, as Panarin is poised to finish in Top 10 of scoring, earning him a $1.725 million bonus.  

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/blackhawks-panarin-closing-on-1-725-million-bonus-cap-crunch-could-worsen-in-chicago/

The Blackhawks are set to have a projected cap hit of nearly $67 million next season, per CapFriendly, and that’s before Panarin’s potential bonuses — plural — kick in. All told, Panarin can earn an additional $2.575 million in bonuses, the majority of which are achieved if he finishes top-10 in scoring. With those added in, the Blackhawks will have nearly $70 million tied up in contracts with only 17 players under contract. The biggest holes will be up front where, withBryan Bickell included, Chicago will need to find cheap replacements or creative workarounds to fill at least three spots on the roster.

Hawks have had to expose players like Leddy, Sharp and Saad in years past.  With our cap space and Chevy's relationship with the hawks, would be nice if we could be opportunistic here.  Unfortunately, not a lot of great fits.

If we target LHD, Hjalmarsson has a cap hit of $4.1 million and 3 more years of term.  He's 28 but would leave Chicago with Keith/Seabrook and not much else.

At forward, Andrew Shaw is 24 and a pending RFA who made $2.0 million last year and will be due a raise, although not as much as Saad earned last year.  Frankly, after that, there wouldn't be much else that would interest me, as they won't be moving their core.  

At some point, unless the cap were to grow significantly, the Blackhawks' shell game of cap management will blow up and they will no longer be able to keep over 50% of the cap on 5 players (Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, and Crawford) plus 5 more years each of Hossa at $5.2 million and Anisimov at $4.5.

Come on Chevy!  Bring Toews home!  :P

3 hours ago, Tony Fresco said:

More cap trouble for the Hawks, as Panarin is poised to finish in Top 10 of scoring, earning him a $1.725 million bonus.  

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/blackhawks-panarin-closing-on-1-725-million-bonus-cap-crunch-could-worsen-in-chicago/

Hawks have had to expose players like Leddy, Sharp and Saad in years past.  With our cap space and Chevy's relationship with the hawks, would be nice if we could be opportunistic here.  Unfortunately, not a lot of great fits.

If we target LHD, Hjalmarsson has a cap hit of $4.1 million and 3 more years of term.  He's 28 but would leave Chicago with Keith/Seabrook and not much else.

At forward, Andrew Shaw is 24 and a pending RFA who made $2.0 million last year and will be due a raise, although not as much as Saad earned last year.  Frankly, after that, there wouldn't be much else that would interest me, as they won't be moving their core.  

At some point, unless the cap were to grow significantly, the Blackhawks' shell game of cap management will blow up and they will no longer be able to keep over 50% of the cap on 5 players (Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, and Crawford) plus 5 more years each of Hossa at $5.2 million and Anisimov at $4.5.

Come on Chevy!  Bring Toews home!  :P

I guess they won't be resigning Ladd....