Around the NHL

Goalie is right, he holds onto the puck too long and so does Petan.  Neither uses their line mates properly either....You would thi nk Burmi would be better at this and Petan is in his first year with smarts so you would hope he learns it in the next few years.

Petan is a set up guy...of course he should hold onto the puck.

He holds onto it too long and theplay gets b roken up......he'll be ok, he just needs to adjust because he isn't playing junior any more.

Very few of the plays get broken up because he holds onto the puck too long. As soon as he sees someone he can pass to it is gone, I think you've seen it once or twice and now you think you see it all the time. I think most would disagree with you including Maurice.

Burmistrov has been all over the ice handling his responsibilities. He was a good player before, but for Noel. It wouldn't surprise me for Burmi to keep trending upwards..

He has always had potential but has never been a good player in the NHL. Maybe being drafted so high has hurt him with expectations.

You guys are nuts... never been a good player in the NHL come on now. So you are saying Paul Maurice has zero judgement on talent and he had numerous guys who could of taken that spot on the club and since he is incompetent he simply plugged in Burmistrov because everyone else sucked?

I can accept that he wasn't worthy of a early 1st round draft pick knock against him, but to say he's a bad NHL player is ridiculous.

Nope didn't say he was bad but his career in the NHL has been avg at best and for a high no. 1 the scoring just isn't there. Good defence but do you draft a first round winger for that?

Burmistrov has been all over the ice handling his responsibilities. He was a good player before, but for Noel. It wouldn't surprise me for Burmi to keep trending upwards..

He has always had potential but has never been a good player in the NHL. Maybe being drafted so high has hurt him with expectations.

You guys are nuts... never been a good player in the NHL come on now. So you are saying Paul Maurice has zero judgement on talent and he had numerous guys who could of taken that spot on the club and since he is incompetent he simply plugged in Burmistrov because everyone else sucked?

I can accept that he wasn't worthy of a early 1st round draft pick knock against him, but to say he's a bad NHL player is ridiculous.

Nope didn't say he was bad but his career in the NHL has been avg at best and for a high no. 1 the scoring just isn't there. Good defence but do you draft a first round winger for that?

No and the Jets didnt draft him.  So what's your argument?  That Burmi isnt offensively talented enough for a 1st round pick or that he's a bust?  because you seemed to be supporting the people who were critical of him and yet no one suggested Burmi is an offensive genius.

Burmi has his good points and bad points....he is a 3rd line winger that was drafted by the Thrashers WAY too high in that year's draft. He overhandles the puck just like Petan....you see Petan do this often, not just once or twice this year. I stated earlier that once he learns he isn't in junior and the plays are MUCH faster in the NHL and he adapts, he will be fine....I'm kinda on the fence whether he should be with the moose or not but I think he probably should be. The fact that he has 2PP time tells me he isn't going anywhere. The Jets are going to put up with the rookie's mistakes and let them learn and hopefully ready when the team is peaking and serious contenders. I love Chevy's plan, the fans of Winnipeg buying tickets make this easier to do. Plus, Winnipeg fans as a whole are pretty knowledgeable about the game. Sheesh, just look at us!

Burmi should already have adapted but he hasn't. I like Burmi in his spot as long as he doesn't take those kinds of penalties. He cost the Jets a goal last night and finished -1. Staf +2 and Lowry -1.

Whats wrong with Bogo?

No matter what Chevy does the rest of his career, the ONE huge trade he made was a clear cut victory for the Jets.  It appeared to be a victory when it happened and it just gets sweeter and sweeter every day.  Drew Stafford, Tyler Myers, a first round pick, Joel Armia AND Brendan Lemieux?  Talk about highway robbery.

Myers better than Bogo.

Stafford is better than Kane right now.  Loses points on age and upside.  But Raslovic might be better than Kane.  Lemieux might end up better than Kane too.  Man oh man...what a steal of a deal.

BoudreauWatch:

• After the Anaheim Ducks’ morning skate, Bruce Boudreau’s words had the staring-into-the-abyss sanguinity of a death row inmate. 

“Every day’s a new day,” Boudreau said. “The sun’s still coming up even if it is in Chicago in October/early November. You look for the positives in everything, and you’re not sitting around being gloomy. Today, I talked to them about how great it is to be a hockey player. We’re so lucky, so blessed to do this job that we love, rather than doing things that are forced upon you. And we have to play with that. We have to play with that enthusiasm.”

Has anyone checked to see if he’s updated his LinkedIn?

The Ducks have three more games on this road trip: Monday night at the Chicago Blackhawks, then Tuesday night at the Dallas Stars and then Thursday night at the St. Louis Blues. Not exactly a plate of cupcakes there.

Were they to break out against three of the best teams in the conference, perhaps Boudreau Watch goes by the wayside. At least that’s our hope: He’s not the reason Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf have combined for two assists in seven games, or why their power-play is clicking at a league-worst 5.8 percent.

But if these Ducks continue to descend into the deep fryer, a new coach will likely be there when they inevitably cycle out of it.

We listed several scenarios here. But Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet has zeroed in on assistant coach Trent Yawney. From Friedman on Calgary’s Sportsnet 590, via Chris Nichols:

“The thing that’s interesting is that that’s a really tense team and Trent Yawney is a really intense guy. Bruce can be a little bit more relaxed, although I know when he’s in these kind of situations he gets really tense too.

“There’s not going to be a lot – I mean, a lot of people there have been campaigning for Randy Carlyle to come back. There’s Paul MacLean. There’s Trent Yawney. I mean, they’re all pretty serious guys. I would assume it’s going to be Trent, but it could be any one of the three.”

Yawney was the head coach of the Chicago Blackhawks for 103 games from 2005-07 and … well, things could have gone better: 33-55-15, fired and replaced by Denis Savard.

Anaheim Calling had this take on Yawney: 

With Yawney having been on the Ducks bench the last two seasons the players are familiar with him, but the question remains that considering the issues for Anaheim are with the offense at the moment, why would the move be to bring in a more defensively-inclined coach? Defense has been the area of Yawney's focus as an assistant, and with the Ducks currently giving up more shots than they average (27.6 shots vs 31.0 shots against) the question is how much is that disparity due to struggles with coverage in the defensive zone vs lack of execution offensively.

If anything the move further shows just tough the decision to fire Boudreau will be, considering there is no 'slam dunk' replacement available on the market. Yawney is a former minor pro coach of the year, named by the Hockey News in 03-04. However promoting a defensive assistant, whose AHL teams for the organization struggled to score, feels like it would be an underwhelming move for a team with title aspirations at the beginning of the season.

We still think keeping Boudreau is the preferred option over promoting one of his assistants on an interim basis for the simply reason that “he’s a meanie.”

Granted, it’s not our $65 million roster swirling around the bowl; but Bob Murray, maybe make a trade first?

Bogo seems to have a body type that will always have some sort of injury, don't know why but sure does keep him off the ice a lot

All I can say is, from some of the things I've heard, glad he's in Buffalo.  Same goes for Kane.  Talk about a fleecing.

Read the hockey news and all you need to know about Kane and what he thought about this city is spelled out  

Bogo seems to have a body type that will always have some sort of injury, don't know why but sure does keep him off the ice a lot

All I can say is, from some of the things I've heard, glad he's in Buffalo.  Same goes for Kane.  Talk about a fleecing.

Read the hockey news and all you need to know about Kane and what he thought about this city is spelled out  

That kinda stuff really chaps my ass. As a rural-MBer, I'm certainly not always a fan of Winnipeg, but I will always defend it against people who  aren't from the province who want to **** on it. Kane can get ******...good riddance.

All I can say is, from some of the things I've heard, glad he's in Buffalo. Same goes for Kane. Talk about a fleecing.

That kinda stuff really chaps my ass. As a rural-MBer, I'm certainly not always a fan of Winnipeg, but I will always defend it against people who aren't from the province who want to **** on it. Kane can get ******...good riddance.
Racism bulls hit how come Buff is a fan favourite ? It's called attitude and Kane you have a bad one.

WINNIPEG – Evander Kane doesn’t mince words about his time as a Winnipeg Jet in an article in the November 9 issue of The Hockey News.

“It’s a fresh start, and it’s something I was seeking for a long, long time,” Kane told The Hockey News.

He goes on to say how he asked for a trade each of the three summers he was still with Winnipeg.

Kane, along with Zach Bogosian, was dealt to the Buffalo Sabres during the 2014/15 season. Winnipeg got Tyler Myers and Drew Stafford as part of the deal.

Racism is also brought up in the article.

“There are a lot of guys I could point to that everybody knows publicly who have done a lot worse or been accused of doing a lot worse things than I have,” Kane told The Hockey News. “But they don’t look like me. They don’t look like me.”

WINNIPEG – Evander Kane doesn’t mince words about his time as a Winnipeg Jet in an article in the November 9 issue of The Hockey News.

“It’s a fresh start, and it’s something I was seeking for a long, long time,” Kane told The Hockey News.

He goes on to say how he asked for a trade each of the three summers he was still with Winnipeg.

Kane, along with Zach Bogosian, was dealt to the Buffalo Sabres during the 2014/15 season. Winnipeg got Tyler Myers and Drew Stafford as part of the deal.

Racism is also brought up in the article.

“There are a lot of guys I could point to that everybody knows publicly who have done a lot worse or been accused of doing a lot worse things than I have,” Kane told The Hockey News. “But they don’t look like me. They don’t look like me.”

The cover of the November 9th The Hockey News.HD

Story continues below

Global News

While in Winnipeg, Kane made headlines for using a homophobic slur on Twitter, posting pictures of a stack of money to his ear as well as one of him doing push ups with money on his back, not paying a traffic ticket.

In the article, Kane said he felt the Jets didn’t support him.

“I just didn’t feel as though (the Jets) had my back at all. It would have been so simple to just squash it and put it to bed. It just became kind of a big deal,” he told The Hockey News.

Kane also referenced the incident when he arrived to a practice wearing a track suit and Dustin Byfuglien, as well as other players, threw his clothes in the shower.

“I’m sacrificing my body playing through the pain, doing everything I can to help that team with the feeling knowing guys don’t have my back,” Kane was quoted.

On Sunday night, Kane suffered a knee injury that will sideline him for four to six weeks.