Around the NHL

Curtis Glenncross has announced his retirement

Had 2 PTO's, its a young players game time to move on with life.

There's work to be done on the farm, and Coach Sutter could use the help on the Innisfail Eagles...

In retrospect of his career he has stated that looking back he should never of given Calgary a hometown discount  when he was a free agent and can't believe that  at 32 he can't catch on with a team now

Read a blog about the Penguins this morning (my #2 team).   I guess talk is ramping up that they need to do something.  They are in a win-now mode (and does anyone else see a major collapse coming down the road?)

Seems like the consensus is they need offensive minded D men.  Made me wonder if the talk of Jets scouting Philly and Chicago could be a red herring.  Wouldnt the Pens love to have Buff?

Not sure what they'd give up.  Hornqvist's name is out there.

Thoughts?

Hornqvist serves no purpose to the Jets.. none what so ever actually... Jets don't need forward help, they need LHD man help... Unless Pouliot or Matta is coming back our way, there is no deal to make with Pittsburgh, they don't have their 2016 1st, it was traded to Toronto plus they really don't have anything that we need unless it's Matta or Pouliot or something like that...

What would I want from Pittsburgh, their 2016 1st (but they don't have it) and one of Matta or Pouliot. Not happening.

Philly is a team that has what we need, they have LHD prospects like Sanheim and Provorov, that's the team that i ThINK, IF a deal happens, they are the likely candidate... Pittsburgh doesn't... Scouting Chicago, theres really no need to even read in to that too far, Chicago is a central division rival, we play them soon... it's what teams do, check out their opponents, the Philly thing is interesting tho, makes you wonder if theres a deal there to be made.

Look at teams that have guys we need, it starts and ends really with LHD prospects or LHD in general... Pittsburgh is not one of those teams, Philly is... Like i said, Unless Pitt is willing to give up Pouliot or Matta. 

Still think a Buff,Burmi, prospect forward not named Kyle Connor to Philly for Sanheim or Provorov, 1st and a guy to replace Burmi (Schenn,Read) makes sense. 

Long been reported Philly wants Buff.  But would have to think they'd want him signed.

Im intrigued by the Pens because they might prefer an unsigned Buff.  Pens are in for a world of hurt if they arent successful this season.  Their "win now" window is closing.  Waited too long to move Kunitz.  Should probably move Malkin.

A signed Buff gets back way more than Sanheim, a 1st and Schenn or Read tho...

Sometimes as a team, if you want to make a big impact, you need to take a risk... Jets have no incentives to move Buff at all really, sure he's a UFA but... if other teams are calling about him, I'm asking for a ton and I don't trade him until i get what i want really... I'd let a team talk to Buffs agent if they want too, to gauge his interest in signing with them but... 

Unless Pouliot and Or Matta or Maata or whoever you spell it are coming back to us, The pens are a team i see no reason to do business with.

They would need to offer way more than just a D man also, They don't have a 1st in 2016... so to me, they are not one of the real contenders to land Buff.

CBJ, Philly... These are teams i would talk to about Buff

CBJ has Werenski, he would fit nice with us, they have Murray, he'd be a nice fit, they have Rychel, he might work.. They have their 1st...

Philly has Sanheim,Provorov,B Schenn,Hagg, they have what works

I dont know...there comes a point when the switch flips and the Jets have no leverage.  I sort of waiver of UFA's to a degree.  I think unless a guy is critical you never keep him...trade at the deadline.  Even if its a lower level guy and you're getting a 3rd, 5thrd whatever...its asset management.  Last season I argued that Chevy did the right thing in keep Frolik because I looked at like this - if we wanted to buy at the deadline, we'd want a Frolik type so if we lost him for nothing, it was like getting him for nothing as a rental.

But if they lose Buff and/or Ladd for nothing it's horrendously bad asset management.  You cant let value like that walk away for nothing.

It would not surprise me if we get to the deadline and talk of all-night negotiation sessions with either or both guys...and right up until the deadline and if they dont accept, they get traded.  Can't lose them for nothing.  Are we Chicago?  Are we Montreal?  Do we have a legitimate shot at the Cup?  No, so you have to make trades.  But the risk is, you trade Buff at the deadline and it hurts the team.

Chevy wasn't going to overpay for him and I agree 100%....

That contract is easy to take this year but what about the next 3-4 years?

No thanks.

A $4.3 million cap hit for Frolik is not bad at all for five years...  I would gladly have him on this team instead of Stafford and I like DS