Around the NHL

When Bettman took over the first thing he said was that salaries could go up. What commish says that? From NYR and for the next 10-12 years afterwards you won the cup because you spent more then the other guy. Canadian teams really had no chance. We had to sit there and suffer. Even Montreal fans stopped going to the games.

Now it did not start with Bettman, it started with Ziegler. Canadians had to suffer for years knowing the American teams were just going to own the cup for a decade until salary cap came in.

Is the NHL better today? Certainly its got more pop to it and with Rogers hoggin the rights they've turned it into a religion with deities and demigods.

Salaries and ticket prices - whats the percent increase? 400%?

Just venting, I remember Chi-chi's, Fingers and McD's at old arena :)

Im not sure what you mean by Bettman said salaries could go up.  There wasnt a salary cap.  There was inequality through the league between the haves and haves-not. 

Bettman was hired to expand the league and increase revenue and because of his labour experience, to bring in cost certainty.  He did all those things and made the owners swallow things they didnt want to like currency issues and revenue sharing.

The game is more popular than its ever been, sells more tickets, attracts more fans, is more global and everyone from the owners to the players makes way more money.

By every metric, Bettman has been a rousing success for the NHL. 

Fans dislike him because he's the commissioner and its "cool" to hate the commissioner and everthing bad that happens has to be someone's fault.  Yes he's often condescending, yes he's always evasive and yes he will flat out lie than admit anything is bad (or good for that matter).  His one responsibility is to the owners and he doesnt care one iota if fans dont like it and he will lie to your face if he thinks its in the best interests of the owners, his bosses. 

He might not be the Commissioner we wanted but he's the Commissioner the NHL needed.

When Bettman took over the first thing he said was that salaries could go up. What commish says that? From NYR and for the next 10-12 years afterwards you won the cup because you spent more then the other guy. Canadian teams really had no chance. We had to sit there and suffer. Even Montreal fans stopped going to the games.

Now it did not start with Bettman, it started with Ziegler. Canadians had to suffer for years knowing the American teams were just going to own the cup for a decade until salary cap came in.

Is the NHL better today? Certainly its got more pop to it and with Rogers hoggin the rights they've turned it into a religion with deities and demigods.

Salaries and ticket prices - whats the percent increase? 400%?

Just venting, I remember Chi-chi's, Fingers and McD's at old arena :)

And there it is.

It is ALL about the money, not about the game. The Americans came in, stole our Cup, and bastardized the game with expansion and what-not...for the money.

Exhorbidant salaries and overpriced tickets, is what we the fans got in return.

Yeah, you want to talk about an "old boys club"?, get Bettman to introduce you.

Well I suppose the Canadian teams could have formed their own league but then we'd be watching something akin to the old IHL because the best players, best coaches would all be in the "US" NHL.

The game of hockey is better, stronger, faster and boasts more talent than ever before.  I think "our" game has done pretty good.  It would be nice to get a $9 ticket at 7/11 to watch the Jets play but I'd rather watch hockey thats worth $80 than hockey thats worth $9. 

Well I suppose the Canadian teams could have formed their own league but then we'd be watching something akin to the old IHL because the best players, best coaches would all be in the "US" NHL.

The game of hockey is better, stronger, faster and boasts more talent than ever before.  I think "our" game has done pretty good.  It would be nice to get a $9 ticket at 7/11 to watch the Jets play but I'd rather watch hockey thats worth $80 than hockey thats worth $9.

No, the game could have progressed quite nicely, even if it wasn't driven by greed.

I'm glad you're happy paying that ticket price to see some very average players getting paid millions of dollars because that's what been determined for us, by the owners, and the player's association.

No, the game could have progressed quite nicely, even if it wasn't driven by greed.

I'm glad you're happy paying that ticket price to see some very average players getting paid millions of dollars because that's what been determined for us, by the owners, and the player's association.

Who's business is it?

I mean sure, you could open a hot dog stand and decide to give away the hot dogs or you could have average hotdogs and lower prices.  or you could feature the best hot dogs available and sell them for as much as people are willing to spend because the whole point of opening a hot dog stand was to make money.

Sorry, I cant fault business owners for wanting to make money.  Most of us were thrilled the Jets make so much on tickets because it means they will be here and be profitable.  Bettman created an environment where the Winnipeg Jets could come here and thrive.

Its possible that the NHL would be good as a 24 team regional league.  But that wasnt going to remain.  It just wasnt.  bettman didnt invent big business.  He didnt invent expanding sports leagues.  He didnt hurt the game or take it away from the fans. 

Who's business is it?

I mean sure, you could open a hot dog stand and decide to give away the hot dogs or you could have average hotdogs and lower prices.  or you could feature the best hot dogs available and sell them for as much as people are willing to spend because the whole point of opening a hot dog stand was to make money.

Sorry, I cant fault business owners for wanting to make money.  Most of us were thrilled the Jets make so much on tickets because it means they will be here and be profitable. Bettman created Bean environment where the Winnipeg Jets could come here and thrive.

Its possible that the NHL would be good as a 24 team regional league.  But that wasnt going to remain.  It just wasnt.  bettman didnt invent big business.  He didnt invent expanding sports leagues.  He didnt hurt the game or take it away from the fans. 

Another wow.

Bettman is a puppet for the owners and I shouldn't say owners because there is a group of more powerful owners that get things done. If you think the owner's (on whole) are interested in anything but making a buck, I hae a bridge in Lockport to sell you. If Bettman created or did/does anything, it is because he is told to do so.

Bettman is a puppet for the owners and I shouldn't say owners because there is a group of more powerful owners that get things done. If you think the owner's (on whole) are interested in anything but making a buck, I hae a bridge in Lockport to sell you. If Bettman created or did/does anything, it is because he is told to do so.

So then you agree he has been very successful at accomplishing the objectives of his position?

Reports out of San Jose say that Patrick Marleau would accept a trade to the Rangers, Ducks, or Kings. 

I wouldnt pay too much for him. hes like Thorton, puts up good regular season stats then disappears in the post season.  I think I just f'n hate san jose.  Thorton, Cheechoo and marleau have done my playoff pools dirty a few times.  F' em lol