Around the NHL

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

UPDATE: Blues F Scott Gomez and Flyers F Sam Gagner clear #NHL waivers #TSNHockey pic.twitter.com/dzPf5LOqxc

Retweeted by TSN

***I wondered if the Jets would have had interest in Gagner for depth purposes.  I guess not.

As I understand it, Tampa Bay retained $1.6M of his $4.8M salary when he was traded to Arizona (and then Arizona flipped him to Philly), so his cap hit is around $3.2M.

This is the last year of his deal.  

2 goals 3 assists in 18 games this year.

15 goals 26 assists in 81 games last year.

On 25/12/2015 at 11:54 AM, Goalie said:

Probably but I'm not sure that the jets would have interest in him. He's a center. Him and Scheif are similar... Scheif better defensively tho. I'm not sure that I see the need for another center tho. He doesn't play the wing.  I think Eberle or yakupov tho would be 2 guys of interest to the jets. Maybe Eberle more so since he's a somewhat proven goal scorer. And b4 people chime in with the you wouldn't get Eberle or Yakupov plus a first for Buff.... I'll bet you would. .... RNH eh. I guess maybe if it's Buff Burmi going to Edmonton. That might get you RNH and the 1st. Trust me... Buff will get more than ppl think he will. A first is a given.... no doubt about a first..... I'm thinking if they want buff enough.... Eberle yak or RNH plus that 1st would get it done. 

First of all, rentals generally get a first plus a prospect and maybe a crappy roster player if they're good enough... but if you're dealing with Edmonton you're not getting the usual late first round pick so the value there is automatically higher. Hell their chances of making playoffs are slim so that first round pick is a lottery ticket that could land a first overall (and given their luck at winning the lottery who is to say what happens) So the idea that you could get a first plus any of RNH, Eberle or Yakupov with Buff being the main piece is just pie in the sky dreaming. Any one of those players could be moved, but it won't be for a guy on an expiring contract. Maybe Yakupov but then again Yakupov showed some pretty damned good chemistry with McDavid. His problem has been that when he doesn't have an offensive minded centre he doesn't produce and given Eberle is ahead on the depth chart and Purcell is more experienced and therefore more trusted it leaves Yakupov either playing his off wing which he hasn't been good at, or in a bottom 6 role that he is ill suited to. Now however things could look different as they have 3 offensive centres so Yakupov wouldn't have to waste his time playing with Lander or Letestu. Eberle would be available for the right package, but considering he's the best pure goal scorer on the oilers and is heating up after a slow start returning from injury and has a cost controlled contract for a lot of years I doubt they're in a hurry to move him for anything less than an over pay. Same deal for RNH. Guy has been playing 1C for years and doing fine at it, he's cost controlled and still has plenty of potential. You want him offer up a young top pairing D. Mclellan loves him and consider that Nashville asked about his availability and was told that one of Weber, Josi or Jones had to go back to get talks started. 

So if Edmonton is getting Buff it's for at most a first round pick plus crappy players or prospects. You want the actual good players from Edmonton the cost to get them is prohibitive. 

Just now, Ducky said:

you realize you have a way better chance of not getting the 1st overall than getting it with those two picks right?

Yes but you have a far better chance of getting it with two picks then with one.  Or so I'd guess.  I dropped out of Statistics. 

Is the draft still weighted?  In other words, if the Jets finish in last place, they have the best shot at first over-all? 

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes but you have a far better chance of getting it with two picks then with one.  Or so I'd guess.  I dropped out of Statistics. 

Is the draft still weighted?  In other words, if the Jets finish in last place, they have the best shot at first over-all? 

It is more complicated now because they randomly draw for the first 3 picks.  Everyone's chances of getting the 1st overall hasn't changed from last year (20% chance for last place), but now the draw for the 2nd and 3rd overall picks as well so that changes things.  

Your odds on the 2nd and 3rd overall pick are dependant on who got the 1st overall pick (they factor in who got it and take them out of the equation).

So the biggest change is if you are last in points, you can now drop to 4th overall if you are unlucky.  Where as before the most you could drop is 2nd overall.  

But your chances at the first overall hasn't changed at all.  If you had the picks of both the 2nd and 3rd last teams, your combined chance for the first overall would be 25% vs 20% for last overall. 

On 1/4/2016 at 5:45 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Fan voting for Stuart failed :(

You know what, It wasn't even Stuart that lots of Jets fans were trying to get in. It was Thorburn. It's true. A bunch of People tried to get Thorburn to the all star game. It Failed cuz it was a joke.