U of Guelph courting Kyle Walters

gbill2004

Just curious, how many people who want Murphy if Walters leaves have criticized the Bombers in the past for hiring GMs and HCs with no previous experience. 

I don't think Taman & Murphy would want to work together. Murphy was part of the group that forced him out of Winnipeg.

There's a plus for Murphy.

He does have experience Jacquie, Read his bio. He's already doing the job that full time GMs do. He has since 2010.

And Hufnagel just sits there and twiddles his thumbs. I don't think so. I've read his bio and he's an assistant GM who has no experience running the show. Hufnagel makes the decisions, not Murphy.

Of course Huff makes the final decision. He's his boss but Murphy does all the work & comes to  him with his recommendations, You think Huff does the scouting? Even Lawless today on TSN 1290 acknowledged Murphy is an extraordinary recruiter. If you look at his bio at Stampeders.com, he negotiates contracts, he monitors the waiver wire, he preps the neg list, he's in charge of FA camps, manages the salary cap, he recruits FA players & helps prepare the CFL draft for Huff. Yeah, Murphy does nothing & contributes nothing to the Stampeders. He's just a lowly assistant gofer who fetches coffee & bagels for Hufnagel everyday.Washes Huff's SUV when it gets dirty.Maybe cuts his grass in summer & shovels his walk in winter. I even posted a link so someone like you can read it yet you still don't want to believe anything it says. What's the point in posting links like you demand when you don't believe what they say anyway? 

Talk about being overly dramatic. Where did I say Murphy does nothing - answer: NOWHERE.

He's not the only assistant GM who does that stuff. Michael Petrie is an assistant GM with the Stamps too and if you read his bio it says "He works closely with head coach/general manager John Hufnagel on the club’s general football operations and football-related strategic planning. He is responsible for management of the salary cap, all football budgets and expenditures and he assists with contract structuring and negotiating."

Fact remains no matter what he does for the Stamps he has no GM experience. 

He has more experience than Walters. Has contacts everywhere in the US proven by the fact he can find quality players. I mean, the fanbase here ******* about everyone. Don't want experience like Higgins because he was away from football too long in  the CFL front office. Don't like Murphy because he's too inexperienced  so you tell me Jacquie, if Walters leaves who do we hire?  Bomber fans don't like this guy, don't like that guy, blah, blah, blah. Something always not to like.

He has more experience than Walters. Has contacts everywhere in the US proven by the fact he can find quality players. I mean, the fanbase here ******* about everyone. Don't want experience like Higgins because he was away from football too long in the CFL front office. Don't like Murphy because he's too inexperienced so you tell me Jacquie, if Walters leaves who do we hire? Bomber fans don't like this guy, don't like that guy, blah, blah, blah. Something always not to like.

But what if he can't make trades because of his poor interpersonal skills? Lawless said he rough around the edges.

He has more experience than Walters. Has contacts everywhere in the US proven by the fact he can find quality players. I mean, the fanbase here ******* about everyone. Don't want experience like Higgins because he was away from football too long in the CFL front office. Don't like Murphy because he's too inexperienced so you tell me Jacquie, if Walters leaves who do we hire? Bomber fans don't like this guy, don't like that guy, blah, blah, blah. Something always not to like.

But what if he can't make trades because of his poor interpersonal skills? Lawless said he rough around the edges.

Ya, we need some smooth as silk guy.  Someone like Wally Buono.

No to Taman or Higgins so really... it's down to guys like Murphy McEvoy and the sort. Maybe Walters says no thanks to Guelph

I'm not sure that Walters has made a strong case for his retention. He's been a lot better than Mack was, but saying that is damning him with faint praise. The team may be better than it was upon Mack's firing but it has not translated down to on-the-field performances, and I believe that we've been blown out more often this year than last.

Just curious, how many people who want Murphy if Walters leaves have criticized the Bombers in the past for hiring GMs and HCs with no previous experience. 

I don't think Taman & Murphy would want to work together. Murphy was part of the group that forced him out of Winnipeg.

There's a plus for Murphy.

He does have experience Jacquie, Read his bio. He's already doing the job that full time GMs do. He has since 2010.

And Hufnagel just sits there and twiddles his thumbs. I don't think so. I've read his bio and he's an assistant GM who has no experience running the show. Hufnagel makes the decisions, not Murphy.

Of course Huff makes the final decision. He's his boss but Murphy does all the work & comes to  him with his recommendations, You think Huff does the scouting? Even Lawless today on TSN 1290 acknowledged Murphy is an extraordinary recruiter. If you look at his bio at Stampeders.com, he negotiates contracts, he monitors the waiver wire, he preps the neg list, he's in charge of FA camps, manages the salary cap, he recruits FA players & helps prepare the CFL draft for Huff. Yeah, Murphy does nothing & contributes nothing to the Stampeders. He's just a lowly assistant gofer who fetches coffee & bagels for Hufnagel everyday.Washes Huff's SUV when it gets dirty.Maybe cuts his grass in summer & shovels his walk in winter. I even posted a link so someone like you can read it yet you still don't want to believe anything it says. What's the point in posting links like you demand when you don't believe what they say anyway? 

Talk about being overly dramatic. Where did I say Murphy does nothing - answer: NOWHERE.

He's not the only assistant GM who does that stuff. Michael Petrie is an assistant GM with the Stamps too and if you read his bio it says "He works closely with head coach/general manager John Hufnagel on the club’s general football operations and football-related strategic planning. He is responsible for management of the salary cap, all football budgets and expenditures and he assists with contract structuring and negotiating."

Fact remains no matter what he does for the Stamps he has no GM experience. 

Yeah, you basically did. The bio said what it said but you just don't believe it. if Petrie's bio said he does what he does, why wouldn't I believe it? However, Michael doesn't recruit & couldn't tell you the strengths & weaknesses of players at any position if they were performing in front of him. Murphy can & does. Huff says to Murphy that the Stamps need a left tackle so go out & find one which he does. Big difference. That is his strength.

Well, we don't know what that means exactly, do we? It's a pretty generalized statement. Maybe it means he doesn't drink white wine at social gatherings. He has worked in personnel for  3 CFL teams  & is hugely successful so he's no neandertal. The other thing, as someone pointed out, Lawless is a pal of Taman & who knows may be tire kicking for the guy if Walters leaves.

He has more experience than Walters. Has contacts everywhere in the US proven by the fact he can find quality players. I mean, the fanbase here ******* about everyone. Don't want experience like Higgins because he was away from football too long in  the CFL front office. Don't like Murphy because he's too inexperienced  so you tell me Jacquie, if Walters leaves who do we hire?  Bomber fans don't like this guy, don't like that guy, blah, blah, blah. Something always not to like.

Honestly? Absolutely no way do I want Higgins touching this team. My choice would be find someone who has good contacts north and south of the border. They should also be able to turn the team around in two to three years ( that means showing improvement each year) and has a long vision. Someone who can rebuild the scouting system here. It would be nice if they were capable of working on more than one or two aspects of the team in the off-season.

All that being said, until they get an independent "audit" of the organization from the board down it really doesn't matter who the hell they bring in. If the last 25 years hasn't shown you that then I don't know what to say. We have had some really good talent here at all levels and it has never panned out into any sort of lasting success. That tells me there is some systematic fault that has yet to be dealt with.

Clearly I would love someone experienced but by no means am I opposed to a rookie who has shown he has experience with some of these more important aspects. The problem with Walters wasn't so much a experience thing as it was a serious overestimation of his actual skills. Under Mack he did nothing and I blame him every bit as much as Mack for it, maybe more. If he didn't have the stones to make his rather senior voice heard then he doesn't have what it takes to be the top gun. Face it Mack has been gone a long time and our Canadian talent still is laughable. For some CIS expert and having had duties in finding Canuck talent Walters is a spectacular fail. Nobody fears our Canucks. If I am not mistaken many of the "best" we have had were either brought from other teams or other GMs drafted them. Regardless, compared to many other teams Walters is middling at best.

If you read my posts I didn't say Murphy shouldn't be hired. I asked a question because so many people complain about hiring inexperienced people and then when there might be an opening they tout another person with no experience in that position.

I'm not even going to consider a replacement until it's official that Walters is leaving.

John Murphy was at least partially responsible for the SwaggerVille defence that made Joe Mack look not totally incompetent for an entire year. And that's not easy to do.

I guess before I endorsed him to the degree some others are willing to do id want to know everything he does in Calgary. American recruitment is only part of the job of being a true CFL GM. If he has people skill issues that's a real thing.

Want a stone cold guarantee of being a top 4 team by 2018. Hire Eric Tillman. It's a deal with the devil for sure and would require a lot of PR. But unless you're giving Murphy credit for EVERYTHING that's gone right in Calgary (and some of you are) then Tillman is the only proven candidate out there.

start flaming... Now.

it makes sense but you have to draw a line. Tillman is a POS and that was before he took a liking to his kid's babysitter.

But you have high fives for Jagr for bedding a teenager?

Redheads of the world just can't catch a break.

Big big big difference between an 18 year old that consented and a minor who didn't. I mean really.....you don't see a massive difference??!