Frolik Conundrum

Sorry, I don't have a crystal ball like you and I can't see that stuff....we will never know because it didn't happen. Hard concept to grasp?

Pretty simple concept really, I think most reasonable hockey fans understand how deadline deals work. Maybe follow the league for a couple more years and you'll start to get it too.

So basically what you're saying is you'd be okay with playing a worse lineup this year in the interest of building for the future.  I feel like we're past that point.  Missing the playoffs this season would be a huge step backwards and the city will NOT take it well.

Yes.

And then next year?  "Well Ladd isn't really a #1 LW and he's going to want to be paid like one so we better get rid of him."  And the year after that -- "Well Perreault isn't a #2 C/LW and he's going to want to be paid like one so we better get rid of him."  And so on, and so on.

I mean, who exactly are you comparing Frolik to when you say he's a sub-par 2RW?  Look around the league and you might be surprised by who is passing for a #2 RW on other teams.  We could do a lot worse.  And Burmi is a lot worse, if that's the solution.

You can't look at Chicago and say "Well player X wouldn't be a second liner on Chicago so we shouldn't pay him like a second liner."

No, I'd be prepared to pay Ladd more then I am Frolik.

As for Perreault,if he is looking for 5 - 6M AAV, then I'm not sure I would take him at that price either.

I'd give Perreault $5M per based on what he showed last season. I think he's a better player than Frolik, he just needs to show that he can stay healthy.

Tough to do on this team. Just about everyone was injured at one point last year. Coach says its not related to their style of play but come on....

As discussed to death it was a good move not trading Frolik at the deadline. Very very shortsighted if people don't grasp that yet

Too many peeps thinking we made the playoffs because of one player IMHO.

Havent heard that all.

Actually it was your post that I had in mind.

http://morningbigblue.com/community/topic/7226-frolik-conundrum/page-5#entry128527

Everyone keeps saying we have to trade a player because losing them in free agency is the worst thing ever.

If this were true why would any other team trade for them?

To me a UFA you trade for at deadline is quite different then someone at end of contract and whose been here a couple of seasons.

I can see Buff potentially being traded because of the depth on D.

No way Ladd is traded before the season starts even if doesn't sign.

Our forward depth isn't there to do it. And depending what is coming back, if we trade both and take $10M out of our lineup we are in danger of not reaching the cap floor.

Our forward depth isn't there to do it. And depending what is coming back, if we trade both and take $10M out of our lineup we are in danger of not reaching the cap floor.

Trade an elite, unique, 'puts bums in seats'  type player in his prime for a player who probably isn't in his prime. Does not compute.

Trade an elite, unique, 'puts bums in seats'  type player in his prime for a player who probably isn't in his prime. Does not compute.

Where did I say I want to trade him for a player who isn't in his prime?  You are probably getting a good 3rd line forward (maybe 2nd), a prospect, and a pick.  Either way we need the depth on forward more than a D-man right now.  

Unfortunately we also need roster players more than we need prospects right now. But you can always package up prospects in a trade.

But if Buff's camp is standing pat on wanting a 6 - 7 year deal, than the Jets have a choice to make:

A - Sign him to that deal and likely regret it for the last 3 - 4 years as an ageing Buff deteriorates fast.

B - Trade him

C - Keep him next year and lose him in free agency

Given those options, I would be fine with either B or C.   I would absolutely hate it if we gave Buff, a 260+ pound man with a history of not being in the best of shape and working out, a deal that would take him to 36+ years of age making 7+ million dollars (probably higher), regardless of how unique he is or how many bums he puts into a guaranteed sold out arena.

Where did I say I want to trade him for a player who isn't in his prime?  You are probably getting a good 3rd line forward (maybe 2nd), a prospect, and a pick.  Either way we need the depth on forward more than a D-man right now.  

Unfortunately we also need roster players more than we need prospects right now. But you can always package up prospects in a trade.

But if Buff's camp is standing pat on wanting a 6 - 7 year deal, than the Jets have a choice to make:

A - Sign him to that deal and likely regret it for the last 3 - 4 years as an ageing Buff deteriorates fast.

B - Trade him

C - Keep him next year and lose him in free agency

Given those options, I would be fine with either B or C.   I would absolutely hate it if we gave Buff, a 260+ pound man with a history of not being in the best of shape and working out, a deal that would take him to 36+ years of age making 7+ million dollars (probably higher), regardless of how unique he is or how many bums he puts into a guaranteed sold out arena.

I never said you personally want him traded. i was reacting to your speculation, hence the bolded part. Also, I keep reading about his fitness. I don't have the exact stats on me, but he seemed to be able to play a higher amount of minutes for us this past season. Ironically he was being criticized for taking too long of shifts. We're both guessing on which route he takes as he gets older. You assume his history will dictate that, fair enough. I assume he's a competitor and will commit to being fit at the level he needs to be a impact player.