Canada does not want Henry Burris...

Brandon

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/henry-burris-cfl-quarterback-to-receive-citizenship-help-1.3021688

Interesting article,   how is it that some of the guys that played for us managed to stay in Canada?  

I'm no expert but I believe it was a recent change in the immigration rules that has screwed things up for Burris so it didn't apply to some. Also I think players who married Canadian women would have a different process as well.

Was posted somewhere that immigration canada is working on a solution for hank.. So I'd consider this to be a moo point.. He will get his canadian citizenship.

tumblr_n9dujyvVcn1ti6bhpo1_500.gif

First thing I thought of when I read Spuds comment.   LOL.

I hope things work out for Hank.  Our citizenship rules can sometimes be stupid.

Ridiculous and arbitrary application of the rules.   Hopefully things work out for Hank.

A country does a disservice to itself and all of its citizens to not apply the rules for immigrating. You don't meet the standards set forth then you should not be allowed to be a citizen. Those of us who were born here are damned lucky and privileged. We shouldn't make it easy for just anyone to get in. 

It's interesting that if he was a lower-paid player who needed to work in the off-season (but stayed in Canada during that time), there'd likely be no question about his full-time employment during that time. But because he makes as much as he does as a starting QB, he doesn't technically work from December to May and is thus considered a part-time worker.

It's ridiculous, really.

Hope it gets sorted out quickly. (As much as I don't like Hank as a player, I think he's shown he deserves to be a citizen of this country if he wants to be!)

Ridiculous and arbitrary application of the rules.   Hopefully things work out for Hank.

A country does a disservice to itself and all of its citizens to not apply the rules for immigrating. You don't meet the standards set forth then you should not be allowed to be a citizen. Those of us who were born here are damned lucky and privileged. We shouldn't make it easy for just anyone to get in. 

I think we'd be doing ourselves a disservice if we make the rules such that a person like Henry, who lives, works, and does a tremendous amount of community service here in our country, cannot become a citizen, despite multiple attempts. 

I think we'd be doing ourselves a disservice if we make the rules such that a person like Henry, who lives, works, and does a tremendous amount of community service here in our country, cannot become a citizen, despite multiple attempts. 

The rules are not some secret though, if the guy wanted to become a citizen he should have been working on it. It's the arrogance of people like that to think that it's like taking out a library card. They want it so they should be able to get it regardless. No. The rules are there for a reason, don't make exceptions hold everyone to the same standard. He wants to be a citizen he can start by getting his permanent residency and go from there. 

I am kind of with 17. I have had a couple friends who have become Canadian citizens. They had to so many hurdles to over come to get it and it was a long process that Hank should not be handed a Canadian passport just because he is a CFL QB. The people I know are highly educated people that highly productive members of society.

The rules are not some secret though, if the guy wanted to become a citizen he should have been working on it. It's the arrogance of people like that to think that it's like taking out a library card. They want it so they should be able to get it regardless. No. The rules are there for a reason, don't make exceptions hold everyone to the same standard. He wants to be a citizen he can start by getting his permanent residency and go from there. 

He is trying to get his permanent residency and then wants citizenship and he's been working on it for the past 3 years. He doesn't want preferential treatment and he's not complaining about the rules - just the ruling that playing in the CFL is a part time job. 

if he's not complaining then why the article about his troubles getting citizenship? It's a classic play for preferential treatment because of his celebrity status. 

So you agree that playing in the CFL should be considered a part-time job.