Why didn't Walters trade Brohm?

BigBlue

It would not surprise me to see Brian Brohm starting for the BC Lions or even the Montréal Alouettes before the year is out.

I am wondering whether Kyle Walters had a chance to get a draft pick in the same way Wally Buono set up the Mike Riley sweepstakes.

Perhaps Walters is hoping to sign him back pr maybe Brohm just isn't that good. Anyway, nobody seems to be falling all over themselves to get this potential star.

Any clues?

We were still in the playoff hunt when the trade deadline rolled around, and Brohm had thrown a grand total of 47 career passes by that point with no TD's and one interception.

Then he got hurt to end the season.

Don't see a lot of teams lining up to trade an asset for a guy like Brohm at this point in his career.

It would not surprise me to see Brian Brohm starting for the BC Lions or even the Montréal Alouettes before the year is out.

I am wondering whether Kyle Walters had a chance to get a draft pick in the same way Wally Buono set up the Mike Riley sweepstakes.

Perhaps Walters is hoping to sign him back pr maybe Brohm just isn't that good. Anyway, nobody seems to be falling all over themselves to get this potential star.

Any clues?

Not sure where you'd get the comparison between Reilly and Brohm. Brohm is nowhere near Reilly status. Brohm isn't even the best FA QB available. He's the third, MAYBE fourth (depending on if you favor Sunseri, which no doubt some teams would) best QB on the market and he's thrown exactly zero touchdowns in the CFL.

Would you want Walters to trade for Brohm as a pending free agent at this point? I sure wouldn't.

Oh, and he's all of 6 months or so shy of 30.

That's kind of like standing in front of the condiments at McDonalds and trying to sell people straws for a dollar a piece.

You're not going to get any takers.

Except of course for Marcel Desjardins, who will aggressively pursue all straws, and will offer an opening bid of $60 for that straw.

The NFL angle I didn't consider but does he have a chance at age 30 for any kind of career?

I consider Brohm a far better QB than Sunseri who lost his job to Kerry Joseph and his cane

Reilly didn't have great stats when he was traded .... we just all knew what he could do

I think Brohm came close to proving what he could do for us last year

I fully believe the Bombers had every intention of bringing Brohm back and it's my belief is that the best place for him would have been here, as a backup, and at least, further develop his resume.

There may be mild interest in the CFL from other teams, due to the performance of some backups from last year, but I don't think he's shown enough to warrant great offers.

The same should hold true for NFL interest, especially at his age.

But…NFL QBacking was all over the map last year so there still may be some sniffing around for a former NFLer.

Of course everything depends on how his broken thumb recovery is coming along and whether he'll use that same thumb to hitchhike out of here.

Probably because he's pushing 30, was injured, is a backup at best, Marve showed more than he did and Marve was a rookie in the league. I'm honestly not sure Brohm receives any offers tomorrow, on the prediction thread, i have him signing with nobody tomorrow. I think he's going to try the NFL until that's a dead duck and then maybe will come back to the CFL, but i'm not sure where really. Bombers seem to be happy with Willy Marve and Portis, all signed for next season. I don't think he's as good as the OP likes to think he is. 

The NFL angle I didn't consider but does he have a chance at age 30 for any kind of career?

Of course not, but it's his dream and his last opportunity to take a shot at it, so why not?  Good for him, really.  No regrets, that kind of thing.

I consider Brohm a far better QB than Sunseri who lost his job to Kerry Joseph and his cane

If Brohm returns to the CFL looking for work, there will probably be a couple of teams that will consider him.  I'm guessing Walters would like him back because you can never have too many good QBs, but he's not getting into a bidding war over Brohm.  No one will be that anxious to sign him.  Whatever amount Walters was willing to offer Brohm, say $115k or something like that, I doubt he'll go a penny higher just because Taman starts calling.

Reilly didn't have great stats when he was traded .... we just all knew what he could do

No one was certain what they'd get with Reilly, but he was the only guy with any potential that spring, and with multiple teams searching for a starter.  There was a seller's market.  That doesn't exist this year and no one would look at Brohm as anything more than possibly a backup, which is the same distinction 2 other guys on their roster will already have.

I think Brohm came close to proving what he could do for us last year

He did alright with his opportunity.  Maybe we've gotten so used to our backups crapping the bed that it's become our expectation.  I'd like to have seen a bit more from him, but the same can be said of Marve and Portis, so hey, what can you do?

Walters reportedly has been trying to get Brian Brohm re-signed and I can see why. Brohm knows our system and played well in limited action last year. He probably should have had more reps, especially after Drew Willy got happy feet in the 2nd half of the season. I felt Brohm had command of the huddle, the system, and the clock and that he moved the ball with authority. He spent less time going through both pre-snap and post-snap reads than Drew Willy and got the ball away faster. If he doesn't get a last shot in the NFL, I feel certain he will land in the CFL somewhere and given half a chance will do very very well. So I don't think a trade was in the books, since Bombers actually want(ed) him back.

Walters reportedly has been trying to get Brian Brohm re-signed and I can see why. Brohm knows our system and played well in limited action last year. He probably should have had more reps, especially after Drew Willy got happy feet in the 2nd half of the season. I felt Brohm had command of the huddle, the system, and the clock and that he moved the ball with authority. He spent less time going through both pre-snap and post-snap reads than Drew Willy and got the ball away faster. If he doesn't get a last shot in the NFL, I feel certain he will land in the CFL somewhere and given half a chance will do very very well. So I don't think a trade was in the books, since Bombers actually want(ed) him back.

And as much as Marve has a huge fan club in wpg, I'm not completely warm to the idea that we've already committed to him as our backup in early February.  Those were some exciting snaps he took last year and there was lots of raw potential on display, but he looked really, really green out there.  Some of those snaps shouldn't have been nearly so exciting.  Professional football shouldn't resemble a sandlot too often.  Once in a while, but not that much.  He didn't get burned for all of the improvising he did, but that won't hold true forever.  Give him more time to learn before he becomes the guy that is one hit away from being the starter.  And if he beats out all the other competition for that spot, all the better.  For now I'd also like to see Brohm back.