Mike Richards on waivers

Jpan85

I also wonder how much he had on him.   Would they go through this whole process if he only had a small amount, like a single prescription / pill container on him.  I don't know how "picky" the border officers are and if they would be more lenient once they saw who he was and how much of a spotlight on it (ie just confiscate them). 

If they are as hard to get as you say, maybe it is easier to get them down south and Mike was bringing a supply back with him to last him through the off season.

I also wonder how much he had on him.   Would they go through this whole process if he only had a small amount, like a single prescription / pill container on him.  I don't know how "picky" the border officers are and if they would be more lenient once they saw who he was and how much of a spotlight on it (ie just confiscate them). 

If they are as hard to get as you say, maybe it is easier to get them down south and Mike was bringing a supply back with him to last him through the off season.

If he had his own legal supply, he'd have the prescription on the bottle.  Unless he had 8 pills in an unmarked pill container, which people might do on vacation.  Id suspect being a wealthy guy, he didnt bother getting a script and simply went "somewhere" and bought X amount.

I wonder if the defence will be that he is addicted and seeking treatment and has been punished enough.  Or if he will have his personal doctor say he had a legitimate need and just couldnt get his script re-filled in a timely fashion.  As far as his NHL career goes, they say he's an *******... when you need a second chance, it pays to not be an *******. 

I wonder if the Jets would have had interest in him if this hadnt happened.  And if so, if he gets his **** together, would they be open to a reclamation project.

I heard on the radio this morning that the rumour is it took so long to charge him b/c they were trying to get him to give up his supplier. He refused, so they charged him.

That's from Wheeler, so take it for what it's worth.

Should clarify, Dave Wheeler....  not Blake Wheeler  ;)

• 1 month later...

I think he's done. He has known Drug Issues and i don't think a team will take a chance on him. The guy made enough money to go home to Kenora and live comfortably. He's done, not even NHL caliber anymore. If the guy didn't have so many personal issues, i'd love to see him on the MOOSE as a veteran leader type but.. that's not the type of guy you want the kids to be looking up too. 

You can't have it without a script and the script is on the original bottle. I assume that's tje issue here. He might have been given a chance to produce a script but couldn't.

Percs and things of that nature are truly wonderful. I have a bottle right now that I use very sparingly because it's hard to get. I filled the scriot shortly after filling a T3 script and the pharmacy questioned me and called the doctor.

The Los Angeles Kings have reached a settlement with forward Mike Richards in the ongoing dispute over the termination of his contract, TSN's Rick Westhead reports.

The settlement is likely to be made official Friday.

The Kings voided Richards' contract in June after the veteran was questioned at the U.S.-Canada border and was later charged with possession of a controlled substance.

The NHLPA filed a grievance on Richards' behalf in August, contesting the termination of his deal, which had five years and $22 million remaining.

• 4 months later...

Time for an updates of Mike Richards.

NHL's Mike Richards' drug-possession charge stayed

A drug possession charge against NHL player Mike Richards has been stayed in Manitoba provincial court Wednesday.

Richards, a 31-year-old Washington Capitals player and former player for the Los Angeles Kings, was allegedly found trying to bring the powerful painkiller Oxycodone over the border at the Emerson port of entry on June 17.

He was charged with possession of a controlled substance, but the charge was stayed in a Steinbach court Wednesday.

A stay of proceedings is typically used in cases where the Crown decides there is not enough evidence to move forward with the criminal charges. If new evidence comes to light within a year, the charges can be brought back to court. After a year, the case is considered closed.

Richards was being represented by Toronto defence lawyer David Humphrey.

katie.may@freepress.mb.ca

Much ado about nothing I guess.  I have had Oxy before and I wonder what would happen if I had come on me when crossing without having the script with me....would they charge me or let me produce it?  I assume he likely bought it without a script and that was the issue but perhaps showed he has a legit medical need for it.