Tony Missick leaving Calgary; WPG or SSK bound?

Mike

Isn't DB coach kinda like RB's coach, it's a positional coaching position sure, but in the scheme of things not all that earth shatteringly important in relation to OC, DC, ST, OL, DL? 

Isn't DB coach kinda like RB's coach, it's a positional coaching position sure, but in the scheme of things not all that earth shatteringly important in relation to OC, DC, ST, OL, DL? 

I don't agree. You need a good coach who knows his stuff to coach that group as this is a passing league with some great receivers who can stretch the field vertically or catch the short to intermediate routes. I believe that DB coaches are just as important as linebacker or DL coaches. 

Not saying it isn't a position that should have a dedicated coach, I'm thinking DB is one where skills are more natural ability and developed in college etc. It is more of an encouragement type of skill set the coach would use for that role I would think. At any rate, passing on the experience of B Miles etc. couldn't hurt.

Miles is a excellent fit for the Bombers, already has a strong relationship with Hall. It makes a lot of sense to grab him if you can. I'd be fine with him staying here with us but believe the rumors he will follow Hall to the Peg. Its just one less change you guys have to make, Hall and Miles are already on the same page and its January, that can only help your Defence.

Not saying it isn't a position that should have a dedicated coach, I'm thinking DB is one where skills are more natural ability and developed in college etc. It is more of an encouragement type of skill set the coach would use for that role I would think. At any rate, passing on the experience of B Miles etc. couldn't hurt.

IC, dbs needs a dedicated coach...

IC, dbs needs a dedicated coach...

Don't disagree really ... just wondering if it is as big of a deal who that is as compared to Oline, QB etc. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/25/2015 at 1:18 PM, IC Khari said:

a great coach can have a big impact in multiple ways. Helping a player to improve technique, to prepare and adjust better etc. A great person in said role can have a massive effect on the team ala richard harris. Id say most positional coaches have a modest impact on the tangibles. But can still be a considerable impact on intangibles. Think good cop, bad cop. With a positional coach vs coordinator / head coach. 

I remember charles roberts mentioning a rb coach we had constantly drilling the backs on a technique for regaining balance when going down the day after he used said technique to regain balance when he was nearly down then running for a decisive score.