Tony Missick leaving Calgary; WPG or SSK bound?

Mike

Scott Mitchell is reporting that Calgary DB coach Tony Missick is leaving Calgary to accept another opportunity and that the potential destinations are Saskatchewan or Winnipeg.

I for one really hope it's Winnipeg, can't really see what opportunity he could take here that would be an "upgrade" per se but I don't think there's one in Saskatchewan either. Missick has coached a very strong secondary in Calgary for quite a few years and any time you can poach a strong coach away from a division rival, it's a plus.

Either would be huge.  Wonder why Missick would leave a good thing in Calgary?  More visibility for a good coach, on a coaching staff that doesn't include Huffer and Dickinson perhaps?

Devone Claybrooks would appear to be the heir apparent to Rich Stubler.  Missick probably saw that and decided he would need to move if he wishes to advance.

CFL News @CFL_News

Stamps DB coach Tony Missick is leaving CGY for another opportunity. #Riders & #Bombers are potential destinations. #CFL via @SUNMitchell

This tells me that both the Bombers and the Riders has interest on him.

Hence the first post in this thread :mellow:

I mean to deflect the notion that Miles is coming here and Missick will go to Rider. <_<

Missick is the first choice.

Maybe Miles will be a consideration if Bombers didnt get Missick.

CFL News @CFL_News

Stamps DB coach Tony Missick is leaving CGY for another opportunity. #Riders & #Bombers are potential destinations. #CFL via @SUNMitchell

This tells me that both the Bombers and the Riders has interest on him.

Hence the first post in this thread :mellow:

I mean to deflect the notion that Miles is coming here and Missick will go to Rider. <_<

Missick is the first choice.

Maybe Miles will be a consideration if Bombers didnt get Missick.

Which is exactly what Mike already said 9 posts up.

C'mon man...GEEZ!

:P

Also from Scott Mitchell:

With a little more than two weeks to go before the opening bell, the Stamps have had conversations with most of their pending free-agents. At this point, LT Stanley Bryant, OL Edwin Harrison, SB Brad Sinopoli, SB Nik Lewis and DB Keenan MacDougall look like they could hit the market.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/theoutwriters/?p=5251

Either would be huge.  Wonder why Missick would leave a good thing in Calgary?  More visibility for a good coach, on a coaching staff that doesn't include Huffer and Dickinson perhaps?

Change is as good as a rest they say. Being an assistant coach is a vagabond lifestyle. 

Prediction :

If he goes to the Riders it's  "Chamblin's the man",  "a great move", " heard good things".

If he goes to WPG : "Meh they need more help than we  do ", "so what, never heard of him" "he was in CAL: when (obscure negative stat)  etc. etc.

I don't really care either way, Miles has done a decent job. Missick has also done a decent job in Calgary.  Changing the DB coach isn't a earth shattering move for the team IMO. Rumor is Miles will follow Ritchie Hall to the Bombers, we need to replace him, not much else to it. The Riders have always paid their coaches very well. Missick makes a lateral move for more money likely and maybe the Assistant DC title or something like that.

I don't really care either way, Miles has done a decent job. Missick has also done a decent job in Calgary.  Changing the DB coach isn't a earth shattering move for the team IMO. Rumor is Miles will follow Ritchie Hall to the Bombers, we need to replace him, not much else to it. The Riders have always paid their coaches very well. Missick makes a lateral move for more money likely and maybe the Assistant DC title or something like that.

And in a year Chamblin fires Missick if next season doesn't go well. I'm sure the Stamps pay their coaches very well too. Some of them have been there a long time. 

And in a year Chamblin fires Missick if next season doesn't go well. I'm sure the Stamps pay their coaches very well too. Some of them have been there a long time. 

I won't lose a moment of sleep about who gets fired a year from now. I would hope any team I cheered for would be swinging the axe when things don't go well. With Claybrook's likely the heir apparent to be DC in Calgary, maybe Missick see's a chance to move up "quicker" here. As far as Chamblin, he'll get some leeway this year, but the day will come when the axe will be coming his way if his changes all turn out to be poor ones. I'm fine with that too.