Do you think Jets will make any trades now?

Brandon

Jets aren't moving their first round pic. I don't see that happening plus Eberle would be one of the highest paid players on the team. Don't see them adding that salary without removing someones and i don't see that happening right now. eberle is a 6 million dollar plus a year player. 

Yeah most likely a rental or a cheaper guy with term who is young.

The teams trading probably would be interested in a guy like Postma (for example, Edmonton and Arizona should both value a player like him) but Im not sure it will happen.

I agree a third line upgrade gives us three very solid lines and then a combination of Slater between Halischuk, Galiardi, Peluso, Thorburn gives us an "okay" fourth line for now.

we would be making a trade with a seller not a buyer

I'm not sure what to do with this.  It's such an incredible oversimplification it's hard to know where to start.

First off, the other 29 teams in the NHL aren't there to serve the wishes of the Jets.  They are addressing internal needs, which vary by team.  A team that is going to the playoffs but doesn't love their defensive depth might be very interested in Pardy.  That same team likely has no interest in Postma.

Conversely a team completely out of the playoffs will want to get something for a UFA who they don't think they can re-sign.  Maybe they'll be interested in Postma, but Pardy on the other hand, while not a bad guy to have, is not a guy to think about when management is standing in front of the "build for the future" whiteboard.

Secondly, we aren't "buyers".  We are in a strange position where our roster has 9 healthy defencemen on it (and we are ironically thankful that Clitsome got hurt or it would be 10) and we're soon going to be handcuffed by it.  Making a trade is the best and smartest way to get out of that position, but now is not a great time to make that trade as many potential trading partners will want to wait another month and see where their team is in the standings, and other GMs know exactly what our situation is.  "Must evict players" is a better description of our position.  If it happened closer to the trade deadline, we probably could make a bit more out of it, but we have to act long before other GMs have to.  So we are the ones trading out of a position of weakness.

Thirdly, Postma isn't much of a bargaining chip.  He's okay but not really trustworthy in his own end (admittedly has handled his responsibilities better than I expected this year), but his supposed upside is his offence.  He has 2 goals and 4 assists in 29 games this year, 18 points in 99 games in his career.  So...what upside?  He has 2 more points than Pardy this year in the same number of games.  Someone might take a chance on him, but they're not going to give up much to do it.

Jets are contenders this year

Sure.  We are contending for the playoffs this year.  They say there's an 87% chance we're making the playoffs based on where we are in the standings right now, so, pretty good.

Did you mean the cup?  Ho boy.

Yes, in a world full of infinite possibilities, the Jets winning the cup this year is one of them.  This is a hard team to play against, and could easily make some noise with a favourable matchup (not the Blues, not the Blues, crossing fingers, not the Blues).  But we are not a player away from being on the same level as the elite teams.  We could easily be a bad trade away from falling back to a bunch of also-rans.

Every year there are a couple of teams who make a terrible trade, terrible terrible trade, thinking they need to make a push RIGHT THEN.  More often than not it's a terrible miscalculation - how's that Martin Erat for Filip Forsberg trade working out for you Washington?  Now begins your decade of regret.

This team continually shows it's making sound decisions and is on the right path.  Don't get impatient and start taking bad shortcuts.

And if we lose one or both of those guys on waivers because we couldn't make a smart trade with them?  It's really not the worst thing in the world.  Just don't make a dumb trade.

http://www.tsn.ca/strong-jets-team-could-still-improve-forward-depth-1.189133

Interesting article...  Not sure I'm sold on Condra or Bergenheim but who knows - both seem like Setoguchi types

And, we're totally buyers - as in, Chevy needs a playoff run - his core contracts and his own expire in 2016-17 i think (oh capgeek how I miss you)... how long do you want to wait?

With Halischuk, I think we take the first round to seven games and its a fun series.... with a rental, I think we can go further

Jagr is actually an interesting name floating around out there

How long do you want to wait? If it means we are competitive every season from now on, I'm willing to wait however long it takes. Chevy isn't going anywhere anytime soon.. The core guys aren't either.. You really need to go back to 2011 when they first got here to see how far this team has actually come, from prospects to the main roster. They have pretty much done an incredible job and by them i mean Chevy. Patience is key. Rushing in to things is not the way to do things. You don't make a trade for the sake of making a trade, you don't sign every free agent out there cuz that is not how you build a team, ask toronto or philly how that has worked. You build slowly and it takes time but in order to be a legit contender year in year out, you do it slowly, you draft, you develop, you make little unheralded at the time free agent signings like Perreault, 3 years 9 million? what a bargain really. You don't cater to that vocal minority of fans who want it all and want it now, you do it your way, slowly but surely really and in a few years time when guys are free agents, if you did it right, you replace them with your drafted and developed guys. 

Jets have been here for what? 3 4 seasons now? how long do you have to wait? Leafs have waited since 1967, Oilers have waited for years.. we have waited what? almost 4 seasons now? For every 1 person who says how long do you have to wait, theres 5000 on a waiting list going, if you don't like it, jump off the train and i'll gladly take your tickets from you.

Impatience in sports leads to stupidity. 

How long do you want to wait? If it means we are competitive every season from now on, I'm willing to wait however long it takes. Chevy isn't going anywhere anytime soon.. The core guys aren't either.. You really need to go back to 2011 when they first got here to see how far this team has actually come, from prospects to the main roster. They have pretty much done an incredible job and by them i mean Chevy. Patience is key. Rushing in to things is not the way to do things. You don't make a trade for the sake of making a trade, you don't sign every free agent out there cuz that is not how you build a team, ask toronto or philly how that has worked. You build slowly and it takes time but in order to be a legit contender year in year out, you do it slowly, you draft, you develop, you make little unheralded at the time free agent signings like Perreault, 3 years 9 million? what a bargain really. 

Now you sound like Joe Mack.

All the core guys contracts expire in 2 years... and they're all getting older.  Time to make a move.

Little, Wheeler,Bogo,Toby... no they don't, Kane, these guys are signed long term. Time to make a move? Joe Mack? second time i see you  brought his irrelevant name up. Beleive it or not, rip on Joe Mack all you want but you name the good players on the bombers and they are joe mack finds for the most part. Everyone wants Alex Hall back, Joe mack Find. Denmark, Joe Mack Find, Wild? Joe Mack find.. Sears? Joe mack find... I can keep going.

Now is the time to make a move? to who and why? so we can screw up what we have built up? Jets can win right now as they are.. They are not going to be making any stupid decisions and certainly aren't going to be adding guys making big salary. Core guys are up in 2 years? who? Ladd and Buff? That's 2 guys.. I named 4 or 5 core guys who aren't up in 2 years. Seriously man. Impatience is not the way to do things. 

You'd think people have learned this by now but guess not. 

Little, Wheeler,Bogo,Toby... no they don't, Kane, these guys are signed long term. Time to make a move? Joe Mack? second time i see you  brought his irrelevant name up. Beleive it or not, rip on Joe Mack all you want but you name the good players on the bombers and they are joe mack finds for the most part. Everyone wants Alex Hall back, Joe mack Find. Denmark, Joe Mack Find, Wild? Joe Mack find.. Sears? Joe mack find... I can keep going.

Now is the time to make a move? to who and why? so we can screw up what we have built up? Jets can win right now as they are.. They are not going to be making any stupid decisions and certainly aren't going to be adding guys making big salary. Core guys are up in 2 years? who? Ladd and Buff? That's 2 guys.. I named 4 or 5 core guys who aren't up in 2 years. Seriously man. Impatience is not the way to do things. 

You'd think people have learned this by now but guess not. 

Sometimes you have to pull the trigger.  Make the move while you have momentum... most of this team is under contract for 2-3 years - that's why we need to do something now.

And no one is arguing that Sleepy Joe was not a good scout.

Sometimes when you pull that trigger you accidentaly shoot yourself. Jets are playing fine right now, but they are being built for sustainability not for 1 good season or 2 but they are being built to be a playoff contender year in year out. They are not going to do something irrational because a couple guys contracts are up in 2 seasons. 

You're right let's stick with halischuk

I see what your saying but not one player is going to come here and where going to win the cup. At this point im not even sure making a move for a top 6 guy is going to do much at all.

I cant see Chevy straying from what hes been doing.

I see us not doing much and continuing on this path seeing where it gets us and then bring up Morrissey, Petan, Ehlers next years camp and see if any are ready and figure how long till they may be ready and go from there.

I jus dont see us doing the rent a player thing to get a bit farther.

I hear the name Postma throwin around as trade bait....  It would be really stupid to trade him for a rental type player. 

I doubt they would send up a young gun,    Chevy will only make a deal if it makes sense.  

He talked about this on the radio the other day,   pretty much said he wouldn't dump key guys leaving a hole just to fill a different hole.      

He made it pretty darn clear that a trade would only be if we got rid of depth  / prospects in exchange for someone who can fill the void.   

Considering we got Harrison for a bag of peanuts  I would assume the Jets make a similar trade for the 3rd / 4th line...

Some interesting perspectives. Can't remember who it was maybe Shane Hnidy who said it can impact morale if the team is battling and they don't try to bring in anyone to improve their chances.

I think they will try to bring in a 3rd liner. Maybe a 4th also. Don't want term unless it's a good player because they have guys coming up next season.

Bigger question is Frolik. I usually subscribe to the notion that you always trade if the guy is UFA and not coming back. But that would send a bad message. They will

Keep him even if he bolts.

Agreed on Frolik.  No way you can trade him.

A lot of people (media) say that you can't lose Frolik for nothing, but then go on to talk about how the Jets are likely to be in a playoff hunt this year and may be buyers at the deadline.

If you could get a Frolik for a 3rd or 4th round pick at the deadline, would you do it?  Of course you would.  

Well then why would you trade him when you could keep him without giving anything up.  Yes you are losing out on potential assets coming back, but this playoff push is more important then that.  You look at the assets the Jets do have coming up in the pipeline, and Frolik is more valuable for the rest of this year then adding to that list.  Even if you do lose him in free agency.

I don't pretend to know much about Sean Bergenheim, but on paper it seems like he could be a good fit. LW with 7 goals this year, well on his way to a 7th straight 10+ goal season. Healthy scratch during FLA's last game before the break. 30 years old, almost 500 games of NHL exp.

Couldn't cost more than a 3rd rounder, no?

I don't pretend to know much about Sean Bergenheim, but on paper it seems like he could be a good fit. LW with 7 goals this year, well on his way to a 7th straight 10+ goal season. Healthy scratch during FLA's last game before the break. 30 years old, almost 500 games of NHL exp.

Couldn't cost more than a 3rd rounder, no?

He's had a couple of decent seasons in his career, is becoming a 3rd wheel in Florida's youth movement, might cost very little and be a decent fit.

The problem is the timing.  Florida's sitting on the playoff bubble, and with the trade deadline over a month away, they have no reason to act now.  The Jets on the other hand, will have to send one of their defenceman thru waivers as soon as Perreault is healthy if they want to bring him back into the lineup, which they will.  Florida can wait, we can't.  We need to move one of these guys sooner rather than later (which is not the definition of a buyer floyd).  The other teams in the league can be patient.  They don't owe us any favours.

But like I said elsewhere, losing one of those guys on waivers really isn't the worst thing in the world.  It's the loss of an asset that we don't really need anymore with the acquisition of Harrison and emergence of Chiarot.  It would be nice to use one to address a need elsewhere, but the timing may work against us.