Chris Matthews out 4-6 weeks, Pierce or Hall to start Saturday

Mr. Perfect

After listening to MB's press conference and tonight's coaches show, I'm pretty confident we see Pierce start this weekend.  MB noted that a qb can still be developed at #2 through increased reps in practice, which made me think he was laying the groundwork for Pierce to take back the job.

Burke said on his show that he thinks Crowton liked Hall for the job b/c he had the best understanding of the American style offense he was running. That sounds to me like they don't think he's the best fit to run MB's new CFL style offense.

I don't get the hysteria over Buck. Let me ask you this. If they start Buck and he wins will you still never buy a ticket? I mean get a grip.

It still accomplishes nothing for the future of this franchise.

Let's be honest here, one or two wins from Buck in the interim isn't going to do anything but give our boneheaded management a false sense of direction and hope leading into 2014.

I dont disagree with you Mike.  If the staff held a presser and said "We deem this season a write-off and will now audition players for next season" then they should not start Buck (though depending on what happens the rest of the season I still think he has value as a veteran back up next year).  But I dont want to hear the season is a write off when we're two points out of a spot.

The QB issue should be decided in the off-season, training camp, pre-season games.  And hopefully you play well enough that your back up gets some playing time when you're winning games big, the occasional injury etc.  Isnt that a better way to develop than throwing every kid against the wall and hoping one of them sticks?

If they start Buck this weekend I will be done purchasing any tickets for the rest of the season. This is complete bullshit. I cannot believe they are going back to buck.

Hold on to that thought after this game. You never know who will end up at QB by the second half. 

I dont disagree with you Mike.  If the staff held a presser and said "We deem this season a write-off and will now audition players for next season" then they should not start Buck (though depending on what happens the rest of the season I still think he has value as a veteran back up next year).  But I dont want to hear the season is a write off when we're two points out of a spot.

The QB issue should be decided in the off-season, training camp, pre-season games.  And hopefully you play well enough that your back up gets some playing time when you're winning games big, the occasional injury etc.  Isnt that a better way to develop than throwing every kid against the wall and hoping one of them sticks?

I would agree with you IF Buck was a better option than either Goltz or Hall.

But he's not. Let's face it, with Buck around, the development of a young QB is not going to be ideal because at some point, he's going to be forced into duty in a situation he's unprepared for. I'd rather see a QB fail because of his own issues than fail because he was put in a less than stellar situation due to the fact that he's riding a QB merry-go-round with a glass veteran. I hate to dwell on Elliott and Brink but how did they perform in relief duty last year when they got ZERO first team reps during the practice week? Compare that to how they performed when they were given the resources and opportunity.

Buck hasn't shown me anything that makes me think he's worth spending first team reps on in practice. He's not any more likely to win games than Hall or Goltz at this point and the potential upside that could come with their development (while we still have an opportunity to fight for a playoff spot) is valuable far beyond what miniscule (and personally, I don't think it's ANY) improvement Buck provides us with behind center.

I dont disagree with you Mike. If the staff held a presser and said "We deem this season a write-off and will now audition players for next season" then they should not start Buck (though depending on what happens the rest of the season I still think he has value as a veteran back up next year). But I dont want to hear the season is a write off when we're two points out of a spot.

The QB issue should be decided in the off-season, training camp, pre-season games. And hopefully you play well enough that your back up gets some playing time when you're winning games big, the occasional injury etc. Isnt that a better way to develop than throwing every kid against the wall and hoping one of them sticks?

This would be true if Buck was obviously better then the other guys, but he hasn't been.

If Buck plays, it will be interesting to see what he can do with Marcel calling the plays, but I'm not holding my breath that it will be much better or that he can stay healthy.

If Buck doesn't give us a substantial increase in QB play over the other two guys, which Mikes advanced stat thread shows, then we are delaying the advancement of Hall or Goltz by one more year for no good reason.

At this point, I just wanna see this team win some games. I'm willing to let MB decide who he thinks gives us that chance. If he feels like we need Buck to start, and that he can develop a back-up with his new practice system, then so be it. At this point, I'm going to put my trust in the experienced CFL OC...

I don't think it really matters what QB is playing. If the O line is so porous that the QB's have less than 2 seconds to make a decision, we're doomed. They can't even make a hole big enough to get the running back into the secondary. Can't really develop a QB when he's running for his life 9 out of 10 plays!

I'm with Noeller on this. While my gut says I don't want to see Buck again, I'm willing to let MB go with what he thinks is best for now. But whoever starts needs to be on a short leash.

Indeed this...very torn, but I really feel like this right now...