Bombers make $4.5 million payment on stadium debt

gbill2004

This debt will cripple this team over time. Glad they made their payment but sigh, imagine if that money went back into football ops or the bank.

You couldn't be more wrong in your assessment. The new stadium has so many revenue streams. And the stadium debt is a fixed cost, so as the years go by when revenue goes up due to inflation etc, the debt payment goes down proportionally, as a percentage of overall costs.

The Bombers are in a very healthy financial position going forward.  As part of the debt repayment agreement, the Bombers put $500,000 in the bank before paying down the stadium debt.  And where do you propose spending more on football ops?  We had the highest number of coaches last season in the entire league, and each team has a salary cap, so you can only spend so much on players. 

This is part of the very change in the culture of the team that we have been aspiring to.

Make a statement, and stick to it.

Making that payment when so many have criticized the whole procedure must be very rewarding for those involved.

"It won't be done", many had said, and I'm glad the Bombers, led by Miller, proved them wrong.

Besides, it's going to drive Nate nuts, and that alone is worth it.

A lot of egg on faces today. Remember a lot of people saying that the club would never make a single payment.

Yep, this is a huge success story.  Well done Mr. Miller and the entire Bomber organization!

If the Bombers ever have a winning season, the organization will turn into a cash cow with increased attendance etc. 

Isn't there some kind of event next year at the stadium that should make us some money? Some kind of annual thing where they give out some cup?

Grey Cup should bring in $10 million in profits for the Bombers plus $5 million in profit like this year as part of regular revenue streams. Bombers will be set on their stadium debt payments for the next three years. Wade must be laughing.

We're gonna start seeing Evander Kane type pictures of Wade on Twitter! Wade doing sit-ups with no shirt on and stacks of cash on his stomach! lol

Isn't there some kind of event next year at the stadium that should make us some money? Some kind of annual thing where they give out some cup?

Grey Cup should bring in $10 million in profits for the Bombers plus $5 million in profit like this year as part of regular revenue streams. Bombers will be set on their stadium debt payments for the next three years. Wade must be laughing.

We're gonna start seeing Evander Kane type pictures of Wade on Twitter! Wade doing sit-ups with no shirt on and stacks of cash on his stomach! lol

This just sounds unpleasant for all.

This just sounds unpleasant for all.

The only way to get Wade to do sit ups is if you dangle some hot dogs over him so he has to actually get up...

This debt will cripple this team over time. Glad they made their payment but sigh, imagine if that money went back into football ops or the bank.

Without the new stadium that money wouldn't even exist

I know. Just sayin'. No other team has the debt situation we have. It took that in order for our politicians to build it.

Miller and even the board before him deserved credit (along with the provincial government) for the leap of faith and foresight to build the True North arena as well as the new stadium. The Jets get a lot of attention and play in the big NHL, but the Bombers are (in my opinion) much more an integral part of Winnipeg and Manitoba culture. It is far and away the best stadium in the league and will be for several more years- something to be proud of. The financial plan seems to be working and good on all involved.

Miller and even the board before him deserved credit (along with the provincial government) for the leap of faith and foresight to build the True North arena as well as the new stadium. The Jets get a lot of attention and play in the big NHL, but the Bombers are (in my opinion) much more an integral part of Winnipeg and Manitoba culture. It is far and away the best stadium in the league and will be for several more years- something to be proud of. The financial plan seems to be working and good on all involved.

having been in both stadiums I have to give the edge to BC Place. But of course, BC Place cost $500 million.

having been in both stadiums I have to give the edge to BC Place. But of course, BC Place cost $500 million.

I much prefer an outdoor stadium for a football game. I take IGF over BC Place every day.