Bombers make $4.5 million payment on stadium debt

gbill2004

This debt will cripple this team over time. Glad they made their payment but sigh, imagine if that money went back into football ops or the bank.

Did you complain that much and consider it a waste when you made your mortgage payments?

iso doesn't believe in mortgages. He lives on the mean streets of Winnipeg.

Are we really complaining? This is a good thing. It shows the Bombers are going to be able to make those payments and that they are making enough to afford them.

Somehow, despite so many media members screaming, the sky didn't fall.

Pretty sure only iso was complaining.

Where's Paul Friesen?

**** man, I wasn't complaining. Give your stupid head a shake. 

Are we really complaining? This is a good thing. It shows the Bombers are going to be able to make those payments and that they are making enough to afford them.

Somehow, despite so many media members screaming, the sky didn't fall.

Pretty sure only iso was complaining.

Where's Paul Friesen?

**** man, I wasn't complaining. Give your stupid head a shake.

Just re-read your initial post and you were definitely complaining.

After going to a bomber game in Calgary I'll take the debt on a nice stadium over ever watching another game at Mcmahon. The only good thing was there were so many empty seats people could spread out, where we were I can't imagine how terribly uncomfortable trying to get an ass in each seat on the benches as marked would have been.

I only compare to Calgary since ISO has two kinds of posts, ones where he ******* about the bombers, and ones where he tells us how much better Calgary is at doing things than the bombers.

The day is gone when people would sit in uncomfortable seats with crappy sightlines and barely edible food. We demand more and are willing to pay more and kodos to all who made the arena and stadium possible. Winnipeg has had the reputation of doing things on the cheap as opposed to Alberta and Ontario who brag about doing things in style, but I see two facilities any city in Canada would be pround of for as reasonable a cost as possible. Anyone remember the billion dollar "Big Owe" in Montreal that is currently falling apart?

This debt will cripple this team over time. Glad they made their payment but sigh, imagine if that money went back into football ops or the bank.

Did you complain that much and consider it a waste when you made your mortgage payments?

I'm not complaining. I'm glad they made their payment. But we all know $4.5 million will be extremely difficult to pay back every year. As far as mortgages go, you qualify & then make a either a single monthly or bi weekly payment you can afford based on your income. And your income is based on your bi weekly or monthly paycheques which are the same. Not if the economics of the CFL are working & if people buy tickets to see the team play based on winning vs losing. Or league tv money, concert & advertising revenues. In other words, revenue streams will vary from year to year. As this is the first payment & there are 39 more to go, we have no idea if this is affordable for the team or not. Sellinger put the team into this position like no other in the CFL. Once again, glad they made their payment. Don't read anything else into what I said, please. 

I'm not complaining. I'm glad they made their payment. But we all know $4.5 million will be extremely difficult to pay back every year. As far as mortgages go, you qualify & then make a either a single monthly or bi weekly payment you can afford based on your income. And your income is based on your bi weekly or monthly paycheques which are the same. Not if the economics of the CFL are working & if people buy tickets to see the team play based on winning vs losing. Or league tv money, concert & advertising revenues. In other words, revenue streams will vary from year to year. As this is the first payment & there are 39 more to go, we have no idea if this is affordable for the team or not. Sellinger put the team into this position like no other in the CFL. Once again, glad they made their payment. Don't read anything else into what I said, please. 

But if you lose your job and can't get one that pays the same maybe your mortgage isn't affordable anymore. Maybe you're like me and don't get a regular paycheque and instead get paid a daily rate for the amount of days worked. It is the same kind of deal. The Bombers made a commitment based on what they expect their revenues to be just like you and I and everyone else takes out a mortgage based on what they expect they can afford. You really are bitching for the sake of bitching. They made an investment in their stadium which should improve their economics, what's the problem? Other than you just wanting someone to have given the Bombers a handout on the stadium. You're not a communist are you? 

I much prefer an outdoor stadium for a football game. I take IGF over BC Place every day.

I would totally agree with you if they had left the dome in place, but now with the retractable roof it is the best of both worlds. I used to hate BC Place in the summer but now it is amazing in there. Anyway, IGF is an awesome stadium and I am glad that the Bombers are pitching in to help pay for it. I honestly don't know of any other team in the CFL that has done that or is doing that now. Perhaps this is a model that the Riders can follow?

You said its going to "cripple the team".  Not sure how else you can take it. 

We don't know yet if the team is paying the $4.5 million out of their 2014 revenues yet and we probably won't find until April or whenever the Bombers release their 2014 financial statement.  They may have very well reached into their reserve fund (think it is $8 - 10 million or so) to make this first payment.  I hope this isn't the case.  It would be fantastic if the club managed to make their first debt payment without having to break open the piggy bank but we don't really know yet.

We don't know yet if the team is paying the $4.5 million out of their 2014 revenues yet and we probably won't find until April or whenever the Bombers release their 2014 financial statement.  They may have very well reached into their reserve fund (think it is $8 - 10 million or so) to make this first payment.  I hope this isn't the case.  It would be fantastic if the club managed to make their first debt payment without having to break open the piggy bank but we don't really know yet.

It helps too that the Bombers aren't paying out the contracts on several past coaches and GM's anymore - everyone now should be done right? Lapo, Mack, Crowton, Burke etc.

It helps too that the Bombers aren't paying out the contracts on several past coaches and GM's anymore - everyone now should be done right? Lapo, Mack, Crowton, Burke etc.

That was all done before the 2014 season

I think so....actually not sure on Burke.  Could there be one more year left with him to pay off?

But if you lose your job and can't get one that pays the same maybe your mortgage isn't affordable anymore. Maybe you're like me and don't get a regular paycheque and instead get paid a daily rate for the amount of days worked. It is the same kind of deal. The Bombers made a commitment based on what they expect their revenues to be just like you and I and everyone else takes out a mortgage based on what they expect they can afford. You really are bitching for the sake of bitching. They made an investment in their stadium which should improve their economics, what's the problem? Other than you just wanting someone to have given the Bombers a handout on the stadium. You're not a communist are you? 

No, far from communism as I voted Wild Rose last provincial election .I believe in free enterprise as well as less government in our lives & like you, my pay depends on how much I work. I just know there'll be years when making that payment will be difficult for the Bombers. But obviously,I want them to be on time with the payment or we'll have people saying, I told you so. Or calling the team welfare bums if they don't.

I think so....actually not sure on Burke.  Could there be one more year left with him to pay off?

Burke's contract was bought out after he was fired. He's off the books like all the rest.

I think there's a point after the season where an assistant coach can leave for other opportunities. Or not have his contract renewed. 

That's how we got Burke as DC. His contract had expired with the Als and he hadn't committed to returning.