Wow, was I wrong ...

IC Khari

I posted this at ourbombers but it does apply to some here at this site too. Hope you don't mind if I post it here mods. 

After several days of contemplating the sad state of the Bombers (at least right at the moment), I finally decided to come clean, perhaps have my sins on this board washed so to speak LOL. I was a Mack guy for his time here (some even said one of the head cheerleaders  :wink: ) and not ashamed to admit it.  Now that the whole thing has collapsed like an elephant pierced by a bullet in some vital spot, I'm not too proud to say I was soooo wrong about the regime of the last 4 years. Yes as said in the Mack legacy thread, some good things were accomplished but unfortunately like all too many of the past Bomber regimes, not enough good and actually some very bad things have possibly set this franchise back again for another who knows how long. I hope Miller and whoever he eventually settles on can bring back some pride or even mild respectability to this franchise. If I erred it was perhaps because I wanted to believe we were on the right track. We've all gone down this road so many times before in the last 23 years. All you Bomber fans who I may have offended in any way on this topic in the past, please accept my sincere apology. I realize we all need to pull together in miserable times like these and I know we as fans will. Bomber fans always support their team! Here's hoping the turn around starts this week, AND I STILL STAND BY MY SIGGY!

IC

Fan, short for fanatic.

fa·nat·ic - A person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, esp. for an extreme religious or political cause.

Most teams fans over pump what they have and under value what they don't.

It is what makes us passionate about the team.  Just have to try and keep it in mind during the highs and lows.

I said last year and throughout the offseason that this year would tell a lot, and not because of the talent on the team but because of who got hired to coach. Macks single biggest failing as a GM was handing the team to a couple of duds at head coach (and all the issues that are brought on by that.)

I would agree, that would be his biggest fault.

But Lapo was not a bad coach. He was a rookie sure and a little high strung, but he certainly wasn't a dud. 

I think had Mack found him better players (esp at QB), made some decent trades, and didn't meddle with the roster, Lapo's teams would've performed a lot better.

I was always Mack bashing while he was here.  Well, not always but the last couple of years anyway.  Mostly in response to some IMWT type statements that I found completely off base.  Not because he was a bad guy but because I strongly felt he was in over his head in regards the totality of the GM's job and because I thought he had some flawed philosophies that he was too unwavering on.

But now that he's gone I wouldn't do that (above paragraph being the exception).  The guy lost his job and why pile on?  Plus, nobody likes and "I told you so" type.  I would rather argue with you guys about what to do now then what we did before. 

It's in people's nature to want to believe and believing in the hidden genuis of Joe Mack was the best way to believe happier times were just ahead. Especially when the alternative is what's happening now.  A complete rebuild with a new guy who will probably be hired by incompetent meddlers on the cheap (in other words the same way Joe Mack was hired).

I said last year and throughout the offseason that this year would tell a lot, and not because of the talent on the team but because of who got hired to coach. Macks single biggest failing as a GM was handing the team to a couple of duds at head coach (and all the issues that are brought on by that.)

But Lapo was not a bad coach. He was a rookie sure and a little high strung, but he certainly wasn't a dud. 

I think had Mack found him better players (esp at QB), made some decent trades, and didn't meddle with the roster, Lapo's teams would've performed a lot better.

Lapo was a micromanager who coached the team too passively. Not a fan of that combination. 

This love affair with LaPo is getting tiresome.  There was a reason he was run out of town when he was the Bombers OC back in 2003.    And we brought him back in in 2010 for some strange reason only to can him 2 years later.   Lapo's record while he was HC was 16-28.   Not exactly great numbers.   LaPo isn't coming back. IMO he was a terrible HC.

I think Burke is in way over his head.   Put him back to Defensive HC, and find an HC who knows the CFL to run the Bombers.  The coaching carousel has to stop if we are to have any consistency going forward.

Lapo was a micromanager who coached the team too passively. Not a fan of that combination. 

Hey, I thought Mack would bring in some good coaches, then eventually "fix" the QB position.....

Instead we have the most poorly coached team in the league and have wasted almost 4 years riding the BuckWagon....with no future QB in plain sight.....

Shame on me.....will have to drown my sorrows.....

Mack was great at finding American Talent, and IMO there are still a lot of players the next regime will hold on to. However, his biggest flaw was that he refused to make trades and match necessary offers to get the club what it really needed. A QB and Offensive line. We're still years away from having a competitive offence because of this.

Can we add out-maneuvered by Taman for Picard and then Buono for Westerman and then Hervey for Reilly...?  He was 3-D!!!

He wasn't outmaneuvered for Reilly. I still agree that not being allowed to speak to Reilly before the trade was a deal breaker. I also don't think Taman outmaneuvered us on Picard - if Labatte had been honest we would have had a better chance at Picard.

Amazing a guy like Brendan Labatte would be afraid to play center yet the rookie in Calgary who was drafted this past May has started every game at center for the Stamps. Like what is up  with that? A veteran scared to switch from guard to center because he has to make the blocking calls???

Amazing a guy like Brendan Labatte would be afraid to play center yet the rookie in Calgary who was drafted this past May has started every game at center for the Stamps. Like what is up  with that? A veteran scared to switch from guard to center because he has to make the blocking calls???

Or Matt Norman making the switch this season with the Lions.