Marcel Bellefeuille

Doublezero

OK so Etcheverry goes and Bellefeuille stays. 

IMHO Bombers got this a$$backwards.

This shows the football brain trust: Miller, Walters, O'Shea - whose collective experience is essentially on the defensive side of the ball and special teams (I know Miller got inserted occasionally as FB) - it shows that they know nothing about offence and can't see what a disaster the offence was in 2013-2014. I predict the Bombers sad-sack offence is going to be the achilles heel in 2015.

not so sure about that, drew has one yr as a starter under his belt, cotton will be the rb, most of the receivers are back, more than likely moore will play 16-18 games, not 6-8, oline will not be worse, 

the big issue is getting drew to trust his reads and throw the ball , takes time to learn , team def will be better so that will give the off better field position as well. have a shot at 9-9 next yr, but who knows 

This shows the football brain trust: Miller, Walters, O'Shea - whose collective experience is essentially on the defensive side of the ball and special teams (I know Miller got inserted occasionally as FB) - it shows that they know nothing about offence and can't see what a disaster the offence was in 2013-2014. I predict the Bombers sad-sack offence is going to be the achilles heel in 2015.

You're right. They should hire Doublezero.

What do Doublezero knows?

Yeah double 0.

I honestly didn't think the offence was that bad from a coaching perspective.

We did not have good receivers, especially when Moore was out, Grigsby was ineffective and our offensive line is highly questionable.  Giving up so many sacks was a combination of poor OL play, the offensive system, and Drew Willy himself.  Anyone paying attention knew before the season that Willy's biggest weakness was that he held onto the ball too long.  He took a ton of sacks in Saskatchewan too, and that was with a far better OL.

actually no, the defensive system was flawed, the game is slowly migrating back the other way in terms of defences and how they need to play so this was the right move.

Agreed what Osh said about continuity and development of Drew, I think the sputtering mid season on with the offence was more a result of mismanaging the tailback situ until too late, compounded with injuries (moore, watson, oline guys) as well as Willy only being capable physically at a fraction of what he was from beginning of year due to injuries, and mentally from playing behind that sad sack line, which in the end limited what we could do offensively.

Contrary to public opinion that MB got figured out, or didn't know how to in game adjust...thats plain dumb as if that were the case all teams offences would be figured out and everyone would suck...we just got stuck in perfect storm to flounder..injuries, shitty oline play, in essence rookie QB who had defences (and the pain he was gonna get) creep into his head and rookie coaching mistakes, and some lack of depth in skilled offensive positions.

That being said, if things still seem to be stagnating mid season, or sooner...you may see MB punted.

As for the d...injuries aside....scheme sucked, no play book was dumb, personnel use questionable (and a lot had to do with Etch and don't let media sessions and Osh falling on sword fool you)

I think it's a poor decision to keep MB.  I expect Willy to take huge punishment this year and to be broken down by mid-season again.  I expect we will be having lots of discussions about how poor our O line is again too.  Oh well.  If we could only fire one coordinator, I'm glad it was Etch.

To me it's pretty clear that as far as personnel goes, we are much better on the defensive side of the ball.  Our DBs are about as good as any in the league and we have certain pieces in place on the defensive line and linebackers. I would say I am happy with about 8/12 of the defense.

As far as our offense, I'm happy with Drew Willy, Paris Cotton and reasonably content with a couple other spots on the field. So maybe about 5/12 of the offense I'm happy with.  We need big improvements on offense (especially our offensive line).

Etch had much more to work with than MB. This was a no brainer.

A contingency plan will be in place going into next season. You don't need to fire the guy to replace him, consultants are always in the mix along with their input.

Which brings back the question... who do you replace him with? Somebody has to be hired, unless Gene Dahlquist and Buck Pierce your consultants.

Our offense was great at the start of the year...again, injuries made it look worse as the season went on and we didn't have the depth to keep up. 

You can't really open up the playbook if you can't sustain drives, and you can't sustain drives if you can't establish a run game.

As much as I enjoy a double reverse flea-flicker, keeping a defence off-balance shouldn't require 8 a game.

My problem with MB is multifold. His track record as an OC is well below average. He didn't excel as OC in Mtl in 2007 the year Calvillo was pummelled into the ground and left early, injured, to be with his wife who had cancer. That year, with Bellefeuille as OC, Calvillo was sacked 50 times in 13 starts. The Als gave up 68 sacks that year, which was a CFL high. That was with a decent O-line. Now that Bellefueille's here, same thing - Bombers gave up more than 70 sacks last year, most ever for the Bombers. Calvillo and Willy are similar pocket passers and MB seems incapable of designing an offence that will offer protection for that style of QB, or take the pressure off the QB with appropriate play calling. The offensive stats - the ones that count, were abysmal for Winnipeg last year - again. For example, Winnipeg's touchdown percentage was 2.6%, second worst in the league ahead of only Ottawa. We were 7th in most offensive stats - among the lowest in terms of touchdowns scored, total yards per game and most 2 + outs. We seem not to have a screen pass, draw play or any other play designed to relieve heat on the QB. This isn't rocket science. Bellefueille also made some questionable personnel decisions, same things he took heat for in Montreal. Why did he stick with an ineffective Grigsby so long at the tailback position when Cotton, who showed better at TC, was waiting in the wings and when he did come in proved to be more capable? To me, that's judgment, or lack thereof, or maybe he just relying on the advice of RB coach Buck Pierce - which, if so, is another story in itself. I'm also astounded that Bellefueille allowed Drew Willy to get pounded as much as he did, which does nothing for a rookie QB's confidence. Willy had happy feet for a few games in the last 1/3 of the season and I blame Bellefueille for that, too. I could go on and on ... Bottom line: Miller Walters OShea don't know much about offence - so they are completely delegating | deferring to Bellefueille, at their own peril.

Hey Mike do you have anything football related to add to this thread - or is that outside of your area of expertise?

Hey Mike do you have anything football related to add to this thread - or is that outside of your area of expertise?

I'll take Doublezero over Marcel at this point.

While I was hoping that MB would be gone before etch...or just both gone. After reading some comments I'm hoping you guys are right...that we're a reciever here away plus having cotton and better online talent will help along with Willy being in the same system.

But I still can't help but think that we will give up a league high # of sacks...something that Marcel lead Offenses have done multiple times. If we weren't hosting the GC I would feel much better about this. but I JUST WANT TO WIN IT ONCE!!!!!!!!!! And Marcel doesn't make me feel like he will get the job done.

Our offense was great at the start of the year...again, injuries made it look worse as the season went on and we didn't have the depth to keep up.

You can't really open up the playbook if you can't sustain drives, and you can't sustain drives if you can't establish a run game.

As much as I enjoy a double reverse flea-flicker, keeping a defence off-balance shouldn't require 8 a game.

Pretty sure the double reverse flea-flicker was used 2-3 times all season. I'm confident Cotton will really help improve the offense next season. Big difference between 2nd and 8 (if we were lucky with Grigsby) and 2nd and 4.