Goltz should be the starter

Brandon

I watched the game on my PVR today and Max Hall simply doesn't have the mobility or the arm strength to win in this league.

I liked Max's composure and his ability to make reads, he does also throw a very nice soft pass. But yikes he is slow as a snail and he throws horribly when on the run and he was lucky that he didn't have around 4-5 interceptions. His bullets down the field were very dangerous and under thrown.

It's to bad because he makes the right throws and when he can plant his foot he can throw very nicely placed Ricky ray like passes.

I think Goltz however is way better suited for the cfl, his ability to buy time with his feet and the ability to throw darts makes him a way better option.

I would surprisingly make Buck our backup and Hall the bench warmer. Hall simply can't play with this o line.

Anyone agree?

I'd start Hall next game because it makes sense to give him the same team he has already seen.

But on that note, I don't know how any of out QBs can function in this system.

Every game adjustments are made to us, but not by us.

All our QBs ,going back to last year even, are doomed.

I don't know if we'll ever know how good or bad they really are.

:) On a brighter note, Aaron Woods looked strong.

The most important skill for any quarterback, by far, is the ability to read a defence. Goltz is easily the worst at it. Ray is slow as old crap, and throws a soft pass, and makes out just fine. Hall needs to learn to not force things when trailing, and that will come with time. Of course, an OC with a clue would help as well. I'm fine with Hall or Pierce going forward. Goltz takes way to long to process information as it happens, his horrendous fundamentals (his footwork especially) and is a very inaccurate passer. He should be #3 the rest of the way.

The most important skill for any quarterback, by far, is the ability to read a defence. Goltz is easily the worst at it. Ray is slow as old crap, and throws a soft pass, and makes out just fine. Hall needs to learn to not force things when trailing, and that will come with time. Of course, an OC with a clue would help as well. I'm fine with Hall or Pierce going forward. Goltz takes way to long to process information as it happens, his horrendous fundamentals (his footwork especially) and is a very inaccurate passer. He should be #3 the rest of the way.

Still faster than Pierce. Pierce is the guy who should be #3. I don't really care which of Hall or Goltz are starting just so long as it's not Pierce. 

Aaron Woods also deserved some kudos for the game last night....

But in regards to Hall , I don't mind them giving him another start just to see what he does. But my suggestion from the first post is purely based on the fact that I don't think he has the physical capabilities to succeed in this league.

The lack of speed is ok , Calvillo survived in the league for the longest time with being a real slow poke... but the difference was that he could rifle a throw 25 yards down the field like a bullet and it would smack the receiver in the chest way before a defender could even make a play on it. You see guys like Burris and Durant able to run out of the pocket and just throw a heater down the field into a receivers hands.... with Hall (and Buck) you get a rainbow or a pass that looks like it's going in slow motion going down the field and hopefully into a wide open players hands.

It's funny because I was joking with my wife when we were watching that when you see Burris throw a pass... the camera man has trouble keeping up with it because it goes down the field so fast... with Hall it was nice and slow and the camera can't even generate a blur because of how slow it's moving....

I know Arm strength isn't the end all be all (See Mike Bishop) , but you have to be able to throw some heat or even have enough arm strength to throw a decent pass to the sidelines....

Hall is not the answer unfortunately.... bring in someone more "athletic" like Durant/Burris....

I think you and ISO are way over reacting in Goltz's accuracy...   it's like you guys make it seem like he was throwing lame ducks like Pierce or how Brink was last season where the ball would be 5 - 15 yards away from a wide open receiver.  

Goltz's accuracy was perfectly fine in his two starts,  not a problem at all.   His decisions at times were questionable,  but being a young guy with barely any experience that is to be expected.   

You can teach a qb to read a defense... you can't teach a qb to throw a bullet.  

Ray is slow as crap, people make it seem like he has low arm strength which is a farce... he has arm strength but instead of bulleting it... he throws a perfect rainbow.   Hall can throw a rainbow... but it's slow and easy for a defender to make a play on it.

Still faster than Pierce. Pierce is the guy who should be #3. I don't really care which of Hall or Goltz are starting just so long as it's not Pierce. 

Pierce is done as a starter... he may have value as a backup for this season.  If he's not gone next year then we definitely need to raise hell at whoever is in charge by then....

I think you and ISO are way over reacting in Goltz's accuracy...   it's like you guys make it seem like he was throwing lame ducks like Pierce or how Brink was last season where the ball would be 5 - 15 yards away from a wide open receiver.  

Goltz's accuracy was perfectly fine in his two starts,  not a problem at all.   His decisions at times were questionable,  but being a young guy with barely any experience that is to be expected.   

You can teach a qb to read a defense... you can't teach a qb to throw a bullet.  

Ray is slow as crap, people make it seem like he has low arm strength which is a farce... he has arm strength but instead of bulleting it... he throws a perfect rainbow.   Hall can throw a rainbow... but it's slow and easy for a defender to make a play on it.

If his accuracy wasn't an issue, he wouldn't have overthrown a 6 foot 5 receiver running a crosser 10 feet in front of him as he did against BC. Accuracy, and lame ducks in most contexts, are different things. Goltz doesn't typically throw ducks, his ball placement is just incredibly poor because of his mechanics.

If his accuracy wasn't an issue, he wouldn't have overthrown a 6 foot 5 receiver running a crosser 10 feet in front of him as he did against BC. Accuracy, and lame ducks in most contexts, are different things. Goltz doesn't typically throw ducks, his ball placement is just incredibly poor because of his mechanics.

So one pass makes him a bad qb?   What about 3 - 4 drops he had where the ball hit the receivers right in the hands or numbers?

I call BS, Goltz has read defenses at at least an adequate if not average level.

Hall missed guys as badly as Goltz missed that throw, Pierce has missed guys as bad as that throw. Stop trying to make this sound worse than it was. Even Ricky Ray has over thrown receivers at times too. 

Hall missed guys as badly as Goltz missed that throw, Pierce has missed guys as bad as that throw. Stop trying to make this sound worse than it was. Even Ricky Ray has over thrown receivers at times too. 

What I don't get is those two guys make it seem like Goltz is missing guys by a mile.... maybe I have selective memory but most of Goltz incompletions that I remember were from drops and/or throwing the ball away instead of giving up the sack and losing yards.    

I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone can say difinitively whether Hall can be a starter in the CFL after one game. We have 9 years or whatever of film on Buck and 3 years of Goltz on the team to get a sense of what they have to offer. Max Hall has been here 2 and a half months, and whether he is the answer or not, I just can't believe anyone can make that call already. For what it's worth, I found the game more enjoyable to watch because I at least felt like he had a chance to move the ball, especially in the first half. He made quick decisions and what seemed to be good reads. Give him a chance to get some timing down and then evaluate I say. I feel like if you looked at the stats of a lot of great quarterbacks in their first start, very few would have numbers that wow you. Whether the end game is Goltz, Hall, or samcanadian, I think casting the judgement of a guys developement after one game is more indicative of the level of impatience of the fan base than anything.

I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone can say difinitively whether Hall can be a starter in the CFL after one game. We have 9 years or whatever of film on Buck and 3 years of Goltz on the team to get a sense of what they have to offer. Max Hall has been here 2 and a half months, and whether he is the answer or not, I just can't believe anyone can make that call already. For what it's worth, I found the game more enjoyable to watch because I at least felt like he had a chance to move the ball, especially in the first half. He made quick decisions and what seemed to be good reads. Give him a chance to get some timing down and then evaluate I say. I feel like if you looked at the stats of a lot of great quarterbacks in their first start, very few would have numbers that wow you. Whether the end game is Goltz, Hall, or samcanadian, I think casting the judgement of a guys developement after one game is more indicative of the level of impatience of the fan base than anything.

If you read my original post you would see my reasons....  mainly the lack of arm strength and his slow feet.  Unless for some reason he was holding back I doubt that he's going to throw missiles in his next start.

Danny McManus 1992 CFL Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Age 27

GP 18

CMP 56

ATT 122

% 45.9

Yards 1153

TD. 6

INT. 5

Rating 79.0

These are the stats from McManus's 3rd year here and are the best that he had while here from what I can find. I still don't think you can make the judgement of whether or not a guy can play after 1 start. Or 2 for that matter in Goltz's case.

I'm not saying Hall is the answer but I sure know it ain't Goltz. Time for some NFL cuts.

Based on the fact that he's performed the best of our 3 qbs and him being the youngest and most physically gifted QB out of the 3.  Please provide substance aside from 1 incomplete pass to Matthews and a whole lot of nothing else aside from ignoring the dozens and dozens of posts from various people on here providing clear cut examples that he's been the best of the 3.  

Based on the fact that he's performed the best of our 3 qbs and him being the youngest and most physically gifted QB out of the 3.  Please provide substance aside from 1 incomplete pass to Matthews and a whole lot of nothing else aside from ignoring the dozens and dozens of posts from various people on here providing clear cut examples that he's been the best of the 3.  

I've told you why. More than once. You refuse to listen so you figure it  out. Performed the best? 112 yds passing in BC & less than 50% completion rate & Goltz has performed the best? The dozens & dozens of posts???? Really... Like are we talking 24, 36, 48, 60, 72???

I've told you why. More than once. You refuse to listen so you figure it  out. Performed the best? 112 yds passing in BC & less than 50% completion rate & Goltz has performed the best? The dozens & dozens of posts???? Really... Like are we talking 24, 36, 48, 60, 72???

So Calvillo had games like that this season as well what's your point?   

Mike clearly pointed out Goltz moving the ball much better then Pierce so why you talk to cray-cray and write so much poop on here?

Yet you support pierce who's even worse? Your contradicting yourself... Hall will be a "turnover machine" in the very near future. Goltz is our best option moving forward