Drew Willy to start season finale

gbill2004

I know for a fact that if I had a choice to play and fix what I'm doing wrong, I'd want to take it.

If I've identified areas to improve, I'd want to test my reading of the situation.

If I did 2 more things right in that game…I'd want to make it 3 things..and so on.

And maybe, just maybe, one of those things I learned, is how not to get killed in the backfield again.

Give me the ball, I want it.

Fair enough... I don't question Willy's character. But it's not like this was a one-time occurrence. He's been getting hit hard all year, and has gotten progressively worse at the same time. Again, in my opinion, Willy has nothing to gain from this game, whereas Marve could benefit from those same reps.

Willy has already played 16 games this year, and will not benefit from playing in one more meaningless game,

100% bullshit. He's had what? 20 starts in his career? That's barely over 1 full season. He would absolutely benefit from more experience. People have to stop thinking that he was anywhere close to a finished product when he came here. He is still a guy trying to establish himself. MOAR experience is going to benefit him. 

Of course more experience, over the long haul, is going to be beneficial. But again, this is a meaningless game at the end of the season. It's basically a pre-season game that doesn't serve a purpose. I just don't see how playing in this one game is going to help him grow in any way. I would not disagree with you if a win meant something in the standings, but as it stands, I don't see value in Willy starting, and getting killed in the backfield again.

Just my opinion.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. 

A lot of you folks just keep repeating your opinion of what should happen over and over again. I don't think even one has convinced anyone else to alter their opinion. So what is the point of wash and repeat? The only one's opinion that matters here is MOS...the end.

I suspect what some here haven't found the stones to say is that they've fallen so fast and hard for Marve that they want him to have a chance to prove he should be the number 1 QB next year.

A lot of you folks just keep repeating your opinion of what should happen over and over again. I don't think even one has convinced anyone else to alter their opinion. So what is the point of wash and repeat? The only one's opinion that matters here is MOS...the end.

I suspect what some here haven't found the stones to say is that they've fallen so fast and hard for Marve that they want him to have a chance to prove he should be the number 1 QB next year.

I suspect you're wrong.  Most fans want to see what Marve brings to the table, they know that Willy's hurting and they know it's more beneficial to start Marve.  A very low % want Marve to prove he should be our #1 QB next year.  

I don't question Willy wanting to play.  I'd be disappointed in him if he didn't.  That's not enough IMHO.  Do what's best for the team in the long run and that's getting Marve some real reps in a game situation.

This. We know Willy is #1 and coming back next year, so why play him in a meaningless game? Get Brohm some real game time to see if we want to open the wallet for him. Give Marve some real game time to see if we need to chase someone else during the off-season. Willy is already QB1. I just don't see the reason to play him. Nothing of real value will be learned at this point about him.

I don't question Willy wanting to play. I'd be disappointed in him if he didn't. That's not enough IMHO. Do what's best for the team in the long run and that's getting Marve some real reps in a game situation.

This. We know Willy is #1 and coming back next year, so why play him in a meaningless game? Get Brohm some real game time to see if we want to open the wallet for him. Give Marve some real game time to see if we need to chase someone else during the off-season. Willy is already QB1. I just don't see the reason to play him. Nothing of real value will be learned at this point about him.

Brohm is done for the season with a broken thumb.

I don't question Willy wanting to play. I'd be disappointed in him if he didn't. That's not enough IMHO. Do what's best for the team in the long run and that's getting Marve some real reps in a game situation.

I knew that. But he doesn't show up as injured on the TSN list (I just put him in my fantasy thing cuz I am so far down the list I want to see how bad I can get).

Willy has already played 16 games this year, and will not benefit from playing in one more meaningless game,

100% bullshit. He's had what? 20 starts in his career? That's barely over 1 full season. He would absolutely benefit from more experience. People have to stop thinking that he was anywhere close to a finished product when he came here. He is still a guy trying to establish himself. MOAR experience is going to benefit him. 

Maybe, but out of the experience he's already gotten, he's established himself as who I think is a top 5 quarterback. Yes, he's a young quarterback, so it's good for him to have more experience. But I agree with Yourface. What good is that if he ends up getting injured again and ends up being out for longer yet? Then, he's just going to turn into one of those injury-prone QBs who ends up spending more time injured than actually playing like Buck Pierce. Play it safe.

Willy will get plenty of extra experience next season. It's not like he's in danger of losing his starting position.

Maybe, but out of the experience he's already gotten, he's established himself as who I think is a top 5 quarterback. Yes, he's a young quarterback, so it's good for him to have more experience. But I agree with Yourface. What good is that if he ends up getting injured again and ends up being out for longer yet? Then, he's just going to turn into one of those injury-prone QBs who ends up spending more time injured than actually playing like Buck Pierce. Play it safe.

Willy will get plenty of extra experience next season. It's not like he's in danger of losing his starting position.

You don't play the game afraid of injuries. He's able to play, he should play. Now that's not to say he should stay in the whole time if he struggles as bad as he did last week, but giving him a chance to rebound from that performance is important. Too many people are too quick to jump on the back up qb bandwagon. Willy is the starter for a reason and there is no reason for him not to start this game.

I knew that. But he doesn't show up as injured on the TSN list (I just put him in my fantasy thing cuz I am so far down the list I want to see how bad I can get).

If you knew that why did you recommend playing him this week?

If you knew that why did you recommend playing him this week?

Cuz I forgot.

Geez.

Of course more experience, over the long haul, is going to be beneficial. But again, this is a meaningless game at the end of the season. It's basically a pre-season game that doesn't serve a purpose. I just don't see how playing in this one game is going to help him grow in any way. I would not disagree with you if a win meant something in the standings, but as it stands, I don't see value in Willy starting, and getting killed in the backfield again.

Just my opinion.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. 

I respect your viewpoint.

I guess the only real question i have after reading most these posts in this thread is to those who think playing marve gives us a better chance to win...

Why do you think this? There is no real reasoning other than "I think he gives us the best chance to win".

Why? because he came in with no game film vs calgary and completed half of his passes? He didn't even light calgary up that much, he actually looked very much like a first year CFL QB, running for his life more often than not, yeah he completed a couple nice passes and he made some plays with his feet but besides that? what did he do? Did he come in and win the game? Listen, i like Marve and what he has to offer too but throwing a green as goose poop QB in there to start, man it's setting him up for failure really.

Honestly, I would rather us develop Marve slowly instead of throwing him in to the fire, he's a young guy, really young, he could have a very long career ahead of him, i'd like to see that actually but throwing him in now, before he is probably ready, cuz if he was ready, he wouldn't have been running every other play when he did play, is just asking him to fail.

Seen it so many times the last few seasons, this backup qb envy that our fan base has is insane, It's like Jets fans wanting Hutchinson to play this season when The team in front of him can't even score 2 goals really per game, what difference can the guy make really?

This teams problem isn't at the QB position, it's really not.. it's elsewhere for sure, It's an OC problem, It's a DC problem (even that is kind of debatable) (but you can't really debate it on here cuz people have their opinions on the DC and it won't change regardless) But to throw a green qb in there to start against the best team in the league who now has film on the guy, man oh man, those who repeat history are doomed to fail for sure. 

Not sure why people want to ruin the development of both our QB's at the same time really. Cuz sitting a healthy willy, has to be if he's starting, and playing a green Marve, who does look like he has the ability to be a good one down the line,is definitely trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. That's not cool at all.

I am fan with them starting Willy, he needs the reps, like has been stated several times, first year starter, pretty much a rookie starter at that, he needs the reps to get better and learn. Marve, i'm sure he will get some playing time this game, i'm sure of it, i hope he doesn't come out tho and crap the bed when he does get the chance to get some reps, cuz man with this fanbase, if marve started and struggled this week, the same people calling for him to start would be bitching that he did, why would MOS start marve and ruin him is what they would be saying. Honestly at times, the team is damned if they and damned if they don't. 

It might not be a popular opinion but i think that one of the problems this team has had, is the fan base is way too impatient.. it's a problem, don't care if people are homers, gloomers,doomers, sky is falling after every losss, whatever.. don't give a crap, to each their own but... throwing in a green qb to play against the best team in the league... it's asking the guy to fail. How many qb's is this fan base gonna ruin? 

Fans don't run the team.  Media doesn't run the team.  The coaches and management run the team.  They're impatient because they will be fired if they don't produce results. 

Willy will start and play most if not all of the game baring more injuries.  He'll get beat up again, throw some bad passes, make some bad/slow decisions and hang another loss on his resume.  It's more likely that this game will stunt Willy's growth rather than help it.

Playing Marve wouldn't hurt his development.  In fact, it would help his development and allow the coaching staff to see how close he is to being ready to start if needed.  It would also let them know how much the need to bring Brohm back or if they could afford to let another team out bid them in the off season.   If Marve started and failed big time, we could always put Willy in.  No harm in that scenario.

This is really a false debate in that there is no good reason to assume that with an off-season to recover from this season, Willy will not be as good or better than he was at the start of this season. We know what he brings to the table and one game isn't going to change that, but whether the backups are legitimate future starters is still open to debate. Calgary is going to maul anyone behind the Bomber center and Marve is our best hope to salvage a bit of respectability in this last gasp.

Willy will start and play most if not all of the game baring more injuries.  He'll get beat up again, throw some bad passes, make some bad/slow decisions and hang another loss on his resume.  It's more likely that this game will stunt Willy's growth rather than help it.

you got the winning lotto numbers in that crystal ball of yours too? 

I guess the only real question i have after reading most these posts in this thread is to those who think playing marve gives us a better chance to win...

Have you not seen Willy play at all during the second half of this season? He's been putrid. It can't be THAT hard for Marve to at least be as good as Willy's been lately.

And you wonder how Marve can benefit from getting these reps?

I'll just reiterate what I said earlier because I think it explains it pretty well...

Willy has already played 16 games this year, and will not benefit from playing in one more meaningless game, especially if he's ailing. He's probably already looking forward to the off-season.

Marve, on the other hand, could certainly use the experience as he hasn't played a full game yet. Getting that type of experience would allow him to go into the off-season knowing what he needs to improve on and what to expect next year.

after last game , they have to play willy , he can not go all off season with that game in his head, u have to start him and he has to work thru it, and if the game gets out of hand , u play Marve in the 4th, but u have to play willy to get his mogo back

You are assuming that Willy will benefit from being harassed and hammered. Mojos are hard to find when you are running for your life (which Willy is loathe to do) or horizontal with a 300 lb lineman on top of you.

delete

delete

delete

delete

Robert Marve has much more to gain from these reps than Willy does.

Yes, of couse he does.  But the Bombers don't.

Willy getting 1% better has more value to this franchise than Marve getting 10% better.

Very deceitful of you to remove the most relevant part of my post. Willy has absolutely nothing to gain from this game, especially if he's already ailing.

?

It's right up there for everyone to read, it meanders thru a couple of different thoughts that just weren't relevant to my point.  Do you re-read every original post thru all the re-quotes?  That's pretty sweet, having that much time to kill.

Willy has less to gain, not "absolutely nothing".  That is because he is further along in his development.  He's not at the end of it.  And every gain he makes now will be incredibly important in the future.

Quoting someone's post & then deleting part of it to suit your POV is tacky. And I don't agree with Your Face but I think it has to be said. If you don't agree with his quote then don't use it. 

delete

delete

delete

delete

Robert Marve has much more to gain from these reps than Willy does.

Yes, of couse he does.  But the Bombers don't.

Willy getting 1% better has more value to this franchise than Marve getting 10% better.

Very deceitful of you to remove the most relevant part of my post. Willy has absolutely nothing to gain from this game, especially if he's already ailing.

?

It's right up there for everyone to read, it meanders thru a couple of different thoughts that just weren't relevant to my point.  Do you re-read every original post thru all the re-quotes?  That's pretty sweet, having that much time to kill.

Willy has less to gain, not "absolutely nothing".  That is because he is further along in his development.  He's not at the end of it.  And every gain he makes now will be incredibly important in the future.

Quoting someone's post & then deleting part of it to suit your POV is tacky. And I don't agree with Your Face but I think it has to be said. If you don't agree with his quote then don't use it. 

I get it.  You don't like me.

Removing 2000 words that have been requoted over and over to create a shorter post and isolating a single point, the point I am addressing, is something only I have ever done.  :rolleyes:

This moment is so special I'll use an emoticon.

To suit my point of view?  To focus the point of discussion.

From now until the end of time, I will remind everyone who isolates a shorter portion of a very long post that Iso thinks they are tacky.