Drew Willy to start season finale

gbill2004

I'd like to see both Marve and Willy get playing time. We want to end the season on a winning note for sure. Cal. is more than likely wanting to play second stringers as they have nothing really at stake. However I'm sure Huff would like to keep his guys tuned up for the playoffs BUT we should want it more, if only to make a statement about next year. IF Willy is not getting it done as was the case in our last outing, I want to see what else we have. I hope Mike isn't afraid to make the change, if need be.

Bad decision IMHO.

Absolutely nothing to be gained by starting Willy and there's valuable experience to be gained by starting Marve and giving him the first team reps this week.

Anyone want to bet that Willy plays the whole game unless he gets injured?

Not too many takers on that.

I'm going to give O'Shea the benefit of the doubt, and guess that WIlly will get just under a half to play, and show something better than Saturday.  Hopefully they let Marve finish up after that.  If Willy plays the whole game, that's going to tell us more about O'Shea and his unwillingness to deviate from the plan!

That's the thing, it's a test for Mike O'Shea to show he can make an intelligent decision and if Willy needs to be replaced, JUST DO IT!!!

Though not much of a 'test'. IMO his test was last Saturday, if any QB ever needed to be pulled in a game with the outcome undecided, it was Willy in the third quarter. Even, as one poster noted, for just a few series. Maybe Marve is able to move the team a bit, get some first downs, maybe some points (TD would have been nice but even a field goal) just to show Willy that 'hey, there are plays out there than can be made'. Then send Willy back in. Maybe Willy has more confidence at that point (or maybe he plays just as bad and gets shown up which has to be the only reason why MOS didn't do that to begin with) and we win a very winable game.

For now, it's easy - MOS plays Marve, maybe Portis too, in the second half, regardless of how Willy does. If Willy is playing OK to good, he says he wanted Willy out on a 'positive' note. If Willy has a miserable first half - he says that was the plan all along and no shot to Willy's ego.

The real 'test' will come next year when, if Willy is struggling and needs to be sat for a series or two (or the rest of the game) then MOS does it then he passes. 

We do have reasons to not start Willy…there's that, but we know Willy wants to play and absolve himself..he just doesn't give up.

So, he starts, and depending how the game is going, he will play.

MOS believes that Willy gives us the best chance to win…as long as there's is a chance.

Will he deviate from that?

I hope so.

I want a win , but I want to see what the backups have to offer.

Some have the belief that Marve will supplant Willy as the starter.

I'm not in that camp, but I do want to see him play.

And Portis…I want to see him for a quarter…he intrigues me.

We do have reasons to not start Willy…there's that, but we know Willy wants to play and absolve himself..he just doesn't give up.

MOS believes that Willy gives us the best chance to win…as long as there's is a chance.

I hope so.

O'Shea just confirmed this on the coach's show, he was waiting for Willy to pull a rabbit out of his ass to salvage the victory against the Stamps.  Don't get how he sees this transition taking place, Willy isn't like Durant who can run like a bull in a china shop when he needs to make something happen.  Our boy Willy ain't got no tricks.

I hope so.

O'Shea just confirmed this on the coach's show, he was waiting for Willy to pull a rabbit out of his ass to salvage the victory against the Stamps. Don't get how he sees this transition taking place, Willy isn't like Durant who can run like a bull in a china shop when he needs to make something happen. Our boy Willy ain't got no tricks.
Dont gimme that ish.. He HAS mounted crazy comebacks this season... Why wouldnt O'shea think he could do it again...

O'Shea just confirmed this on the coach's show, he was waiting for Willy to pull a rabbit out of his ass to salvage the victory against the Stamps.  Don't get how he sees this transition taking place, Willy isn't like Durant who can run like a bull in a china shop when he needs to make something happen.  Our boy Willy ain't got no tricks.

Yeah, I heard that too, and it now is clear that he intends to try to win the next game. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But i hope they have a plan for when and if things go wrong.

And it's not that I don't believe our boy Willy ain't got no tricks…because we've seen him in action this year and he could see more of the play on the field than what he's seeing now.

His confidence is suffering, his body and his mind are confused right now, he needs time to step back, re-arrange what he needs to do, and recover.

As does the Bombers' psyche.

A win somewhere along the lines would have done wonders for this group and for Willy, but alas, it didn't happen…for many reasons.

And now, we go about this spit spin again.

I hope so.

O'Shea just confirmed this on the coach's show, he was waiting for Willy to pull a rabbit out of his ass to salvage the victory against the Stamps. Don't get how he sees this transition taking place, Willy isn't like Durant who can run like a bull in a china shop when he needs to make something happen. Our boy Willy ain't got no tricks.
Dont gimme that ish.. He HAS mounted crazy comebacks this season... Why wouldnt O'shea think he could do it again...

Are just you and Mike completely unaware of the swing in momentum that took place in that game?  I heard from every fan in the stadium that caught on to it and it turns out they were visionary.

I hope so.

Are just you and Mike completely unaware of the swing in momentum that took place in that game? I heard from every fan in the stadium that caught on to it and it turns out they were visionary.

Hey, I never once said I wouldn't have put in Marve. I'm telling you why it does make sense that O'Shea kept him in.. He HAS pulled the chicken outta the fire on more then one occasion..

Last game of the season and STILL people are calling for the Bombers to "play it safe" and sit Willy. LOL for what? Our next game is 8 months away.

All our backups are in their first year in the CFL. There's no reason to put them in a game if we don't need to. Lord knows it hasn't helped any other year in recent memory.

I hope so.

Are just you and Mike completely unaware of the swing in momentum that took place in that game? I heard from every fan in the stadium that caught on to it and it turns out they were visionary.

Hey, I never once said I wouldn't have put in Marve. I'm telling you why it does make sense that O'Shea kept him in.. He HAS pulled the chicken outta the fire on more then one occasion..

Sadly Willy was in no shape to locate either his rabbits or his chickens.

Bad decision IMHO.

Absolutely nothing to be gained by starting Willy and there's valuable experience to be gained by starting Marve and giving him the first team reps this week.

Anyone want to bet that Willy plays the whole game unless he gets injured?

It is to be expected. 

Willy's your starting QB. If he's healthy, he should start  

Yep. 

Maybe they should sit A. Kelly again as well so our new superstar WR can dominate again ( and lets not forget the amazing Romby Bryant ) ? Not saying he won't be a Superstar one day but A. Kelly gives us a better chance to WIN today so why the double standard ?

I do not agree with this move. With the injury problems Willy has had lately, you rest him for next year. Especially since this is a meaningless game at this point.

Now, you risk aggravating the injury further.

yeah you're opinion on which qb should start is oh so valid right? How's your boy Doege doing lately? So much better than Sunseri right?

Willy's your starting QB. If he's healthy, he should start  

Yep. 

Maybe they should sit A. Kelly again as well so our new superstar WR can dominate again ( and lets not forget the amazing Romby Bryant ) ? Not saying he won't be a Superstar one day but A. Kelly gives us a better chance to WIN today so why the double standard ?

You can click the edit button to make changes just FYI.

I'm really really really starting to HATE this coaching staff.

Considering how horrendous Willy has been the second half of this season, and how he's gotten progressively worse, I'm 100% convinced that Marve would give us a better chance to win.

Do we not want to end the season on a positive note?

Serious question: Is this your first year following the Bombers?  Because the things you are suggesting are the exact things that have doomed the Bombers to failure at the QB and Coaching spots for years.

Honestly, this city might be suffering from it's worst and most irrational case of "backup QB envy" we've ever seen. We finally have a star in the making and we have multiple people clamoring to sit him for the the greenest backup we've trotted out there yet.  It's like Bomber fans are addicted to throwing unproven quarterbacks into the fire and hoping for a miracle. Except this time we already have a good one! We don't have to ruin anymore young QBs people!!!! Just once we can let a young guy develop and JUST MAYBE he'll actually be ready when it's time to give him meaningful playing time.  You know, like what Saskatchewan did with Drew Willy for us.

Unless the plan is to keep on trying new quarterbacks until we find one who is perfect every single game. In that case, sit Willy and let's try out Marve.

I'm really really really starting to HATE this coaching staff.

Considering how horrendous Willy has been the second half of this season, and how he's gotten progressively worse, I'm 100% convinced that Marve would give us a better chance to win.

Do we not want to end the season on a positive note?

And if Marve fails miserably?