Drew Willy to start season finale

gbill2004

This thread reminds me just how short some people's memories are. It's like nobody remembers the first 6 games of the season...

I've said in a number of conversations with friends that starting 5-1 was the worst thing that could have happened to this team because of the fanbase. People were saying in May they'd be happy with 6 wins which is exactly what we have but because of our start, the overwhelming majority of the fan base got unrealistic expectations about the remainder of the season.

lol, because 0 - 9 is so realistic.

I'm really really really starting to HATE this coaching staff.

Considering how horrendous Willy has been the second half of this season, and how he's gotten progressively worse, I'm 100% convinced that Marve would give us a better chance to win.

Do we not want to end the season on a positive note?

Serious question: Is this your first year following the Bombers?  Because the things you are suggesting are the exact things that have doomed the Bombers to failure at the QB and Coaching spots for years.

Honestly, this city might be suffering from it's worst and most irrational case of "backup QB envy" we've ever seen. We finally have a star in the making and we have multiple people clamoring to sit him for the the greenest backup we've trotted out there yet.  It's like Bomber fans are addicted to throwing unproven quarterbacks into the fire and hoping for a miracle. Except this time we already have a good one! We don't have to ruin anymore young QBs people!!!! Just once we can let a young guy develop and JUST MAYBE he'll actually be ready when it's time to give him meaningful playing time.  You know, like what Saskatchewan did with Drew Willy for us.

Unless the plan is to keep on trying new quarterbacks until we find one who is perfect every single game. In that case, sit Willy and let's try out Marve.

You're absolutely dead on. It can't have been that long that people have forgotten how this works. The backup QB envy around here, quite frankly, is disgusting and as a fan, I'm pretty embarrassed by our fanbase when they talk about this. Robert Marve, as much as I like him and think he's got the right tools in his toolbox, came into a game in garbage time and completed half his passes but ran around enough to make people stumble over themselves to hop on his bandwagon. It wasn't even that he played well, he just played DIFFERENT and people equated different to better because what Willy was doing wasn't working.

It's like people have forgotten that young quarterbacks, especially those saddled with a poor supporting cast, are going to go through ups and downs. Especially when that supporting cast is allowing said young quarterback to get demolished on a weekly basis. The comparison to Joey Elliott? Embarrassing. Joey Elliott, as much as I liked him, put two quality games on his resume. Drew Willy, on the other hand, was probably the favorite to win the MOP award through the first third of the season. Two very different situations.

The reality is this - Drew Willy is QB1 now and he will be QB1 next year. The point of this Saturday's game is to gain as much value from it as we can and the reps and experience for Willy are of more value to us than the reps and experience for Marve right now. If Willy was a 5 year veteran, everyone here would be right in their demands to see Marve start. But for all intents and purposes, Willy is a rookie. At least a rookie starter. He needs the reps, just like he needs to be able to be given the leash that Mike O'Shea has afforded him. Do I wish Willy had been pulled mid-game sometimes? Yeah. I get that concept, because sometimes taking a seat to collect yourself is what is needed. But with the starting job comes the first team reps in practice. The reps with your receivers, guys like Justin Wilson who need that chemistry to develop with their QB1 for next year. Going into next year on a positive note is important, but it's important to make sure it's positive all around, not just in the win column (which is basically one of the last things that matters at this point)

If anyone thinks that by having Marve start this week, it means anything for next year, they're sorely mistaken. Marve could throw for 400 yards and 5 touchdowns and all it means is that the media will have some ammunition for when they conjure up their articles this offseason about a QB controversy. Willy is still QB1 going into next year, he's earned the reps, he deserves the reps and even if he's dinged up, beaten down and it ends up in a big loss for us, it's still all part of the process we need to be prepared to go through as fans. Because the end result will be a properly developed star QB. Period.

How can anyone gain chemistry with Willy when he's playing as badly as he is right now? He's clearly not playing to the fullest of his abilities, and he's probably not going to be NEAR the same player on opening night next year (at least I hope not). Beyond that, I strongly doubt that the chemistry that is so bound to develop in your eyes, will carry over into next year, 8 months from now. Robert Marve has much more to gain from these reps than Willy does.

I do not agree with this move. With the injury problems Willy has had lately, you rest him for next year. Especially since this is a meaningless game at this point.

Now, you risk aggravating the injury further.

yeah you're opinion on which qb should start is oh so valid right? How's your boy Doege doing lately? So much better than Sunseri right?

So you're going to judge my opinion on who should start for Winnipeg based on something completely off-topic from what we're talking about here?

Now you're just finding reasons to bash my opinions and trying to bait me into an arguement. I had a good reason to back up what I said (about Winnipeg, not Saskville).

But to answer your question about the Rider QBs, I really cannot answer, because both are too inconsistent.

what I am saying is you have shown that your judgement on qbs is bad and your opinions aren't worth listening to because of said bad judgements. I'm just working with what you give me. 

I do not agree with this move. With the injury problems Willy has had lately, you rest him for next year. Especially since this is a meaningless game at this point.

Now, you risk aggravating the injury further.

yeah you're opinion on which qb should start is oh so valid right? How's your boy Doege doing lately? So much better than Sunseri right?

So you're going to judge my opinion on who should start for Winnipeg based on something completely off-topic from what we're talking about here?

Now you're just finding reasons to bash my opinions and trying to bait me into an arguement. I had a good reason to back up what I said (about Winnipeg, not Saskville).

But to answer your question about the Rider QBs, I really cannot answer, because both are too inconsistent.

what I am saying is you have shown that your judgement on qbs is bad and your opinions aren't worth listening to because of said bad judgements. I'm just working with what you give me.

How was my judgment bad when Doege hadn't even started yet? Before the game against Calgary, Dodge looked better than Sunseri when he came in as backup. Multiple people were calling for Doege to start next game, and apparently, they were right about it, because that is exactly what happened.

We all realized our mistakes afterwards, so we went back to wanting Tino to start and the coaching staff did just that.

I guess Chamblin's opinions aren't worth listening to either then.

----------------------------------------------------------

Also, the topics of Saskatchewan's and Winnipeg's QBs aren't the same. One is dealing with performance and one is dealing with injuries. So your criticism of my logic of the Rider's QBs can't match up with that of Winnipeg's.

I can't go back to the game film but I think that Willy rolled out and moved the pocket earlier in the season and had more success vs the last half of the season where he seems to be sticking in the pocket. I assume this has to fall on Bellefuille.

Comparing willy to Reilly is not the best comparison as their games are so different. Reilly makes plays because of his legs. Willy's game is more of a pocket passer.

I'm really really really starting to HATE this coaching staff.

Considering how horrendous Willy has been the second half of this season, and how he's gotten progressively worse, I'm 100% convinced that Marve would give us a better chance to win.

Do we not want to end the season on a positive note?

If anyone thinks that by having Marve start this week, it means anything for next year, they're sorely mistaken. Marve could throw for 400 yards and 5 touchdowns and all it means is that the media will have some ammunition for when they conjure up their articles this offseason about a QB controversy. Willy is still QB1 going into next year, he's earned the reps, he deserves the reps and even if he's dinged up, beaten down and it ends up in a big loss for us, it's still all part of the process we need to be prepared to go through as fans. Because the end result will be a properly developed star QB. Period.

You have to be Kidding ?

Ryan Dinwiddie says hi. How did things work out for him and us after that Calgary game? One good game does not make a great quarterback.

Ryan Dinwiddie was out on a double date with Troy Kopp.  They both agreed one good game should be enough to be considered a great quarterback.

delete

delete

delete

delete

Robert Marve has much more to gain from these reps than Willy does.

Yes, of couse he does.  But the Bombers don't.

Willy getting 1% better has more value to this franchise than Marve getting 10% better.

Very deceitful of you to remove the most relevant part of my post. Willy has absolutely nothing to gain from this game, especially if he's already ailing.

I can't go back to the game film but I think that Willy rolled out and moved the pocket earlier in the season and had more success vs the last half of the season where he seems to be sticking in the pocket. I assume this has to fall on Bellefuille.

Comparing willy to Reilly is not the best comparison as their games are so different. Reilly makes plays because of his legs. Willy's game is more of a pocket passer.

Here is a breakdown of Willy's performance in 6 game intervals.

1662 yards 7 TD 4 INT

1315 yards 5 TD 7 INT

770   yards 2 TD 5 INT

Clearly regression is a word that could be used to describe these stats.

1662 yards 7 TD 4 INT

1315 yards 5 TD 7 INT

770   yards 2 TD 5 INT

Those stats don't mean much without the proper context. For example you say nothing about injury time, and some of those interceptions were not his fault.

delete

delete

delete

delete

Willy getting 1% better has more value to this franchise than Marve getting 10% better.

Very deceitful of you to remove the most relevant part of my post. Willy has absolutely nothing to gain from this game, especially if he's already ailing.

?

It's right up there for everyone to read, it meanders thru a couple of different thoughts that just weren't relevant to my point.  Do you re-read every original post thru all the re-quotes?  That's pretty sweet, having that much time to kill.

Willy has less to gain, not "absolutely nothing".  That is because he is further along in his development.  He's not at the end of it.  And every gain he makes now will be incredibly important in the future.

1662 yards 7 TD 4 INT

1315 yards 5 TD 7 INT

770   yards 2 TD 5 INT

Those stats don't mean much without the proper context. For example you say nothing about injury time, and some of those interceptions were not his fault.

His game crippling interceptions against the Riders sure were.

The simple fact is that you can gain a lot as a player by playing through an adverse situation. If Willy learns in this game how to over come some of the problems he's dealing with now that helps the team a lot in the future. This game is so mental, I think we need to see how he responds to a crappy game. He knows what he did wrong in the last game, he said it plain as day on the post game interview. Let's see if he's able to over come it. 

delete

delete

delete

delete

?

It's right up there for everyone to read, it meanders thru a couple of different thoughts that just weren't relevant to my point.  Do you re-read every original post thru all the re-quotes?  That's pretty sweet, having that much time to kill.

Willy has less to gain, not "absolutely nothing".  That is because he is further along in his development.  He's not at the end of it.  And every gain he makes now will be incredibly important in the future.

I don't think there's anything to gain from playing one more meaningless game at the end of the season. He's already played 16 games this year, and is probably looking forward to the off-season.

The simple fact is that you can gain a lot as a player by playing through an adverse situation. If Willy learns in this game how to over come some of the problems he's dealing with now that helps the team a lot in the future. This game is so mental, I think we need to see how he responds to a crappy game. He knows what he did wrong in the last game, he said it plain as day on the post game interview. Let's see if he's able to over come it. 

He's been responding to a crappy game by playing more crappy games after crappy games for two months now. Willy deserves to sit, and probably shouldn't risk further injury.

delete

delete

delete

delete

?

I don't think there's anything to gain from playing one more meaningless game at the end of the season. He's already played 16 games this year, and is probably looking forward to the off-season.

If you don't think there's anything to gain, then why are you so invested in who starts and who doesn't?

delete

delete

delete

delete

?

If you don't think there's anything to gain, then why are you so invested in who starts and who doesn't?

Because I believe Marve at least has something to gain, plus I firmly believe that he gives us a better chance to win. We haven't won in so long that I've almost forgotten what it feels like.

delete

delete

delete

delete

?

Because I believe Marve at least has something to gain, plus I firmly believe that he gives us a better chance to win. We haven't won in so long that I've almost forgotten what it feels like.

If Marve has something to gain ... why wouldn't Drew Willy? Especially when he's actually come out and said he believes there is.

I guess you'd know better.

delete

delete

delete

delete

?

Hmm.  Well, that's not what Willy says, but what the hell would he know?

1662 yards 7 TD 4 INT - 6 GAMES PLAYED

1315 yards 5 TD 7 INT - 5.5 GAMES PLAYED

770   yards 2 TD 5 INT - 3.5 GAMES PLAYED

kinda silly to ignore that important aspect of those stats... If those were actual 6 game intervals you would have a stronger point...

Willy has already played 16 games this year, and will not benefit from playing in one more meaningless game, especially if he's ailing. Simple as that. But OF COURSE he'll want to start this week. Every athlete hates the thought of someone taking over his spot, especially if the place-holder shows tremendous potential.

Marve, on the other hand, could certainly use the experience as he hasn't played a full game yet. Getting that type of experience would allow him to go into the off-season knowing what he needs to improve on and what to expect next year.

Willy has already played 16 games this year, and will not benefit from playing in one more meaningless game,

100% bullshit. He's had what? 20 starts in his career? That's barely over 1 full season. He would absolutely benefit from more experience. People have to stop thinking that he was anywhere close to a finished product when he came here. He is still a guy trying to establish himself. MOAR experience is going to benefit him. 

Willy has already played 16 games this year, and will not benefit from playing in one more meaningless game,

100% bullshit. He's had what? 20 starts in his career? That's barely over 1 full season. He would absolutely benefit from more experience. People have to stop thinking that he was anywhere close to a finished product when he came here. He is still a guy trying to establish himself. MOAR experience is going to benefit him. 

Of course more experience, over the long haul, is going to be beneficial. But again, this is a meaningless game at the end of the season. It's basically a pre-season game that doesn't serve a purpose. I just don't see how playing in this one game is going to help him grow in any way. I would not disagree with you if a win meant something in the standings, but as it stands, I don't see value in Willy starting, and getting killed in the backfield again.

Just my opinion.

I know for a fact that if I had a choice to play and fix what I'm doing wrong, I'd want to take it.

If I've identified areas to improve, I'd want to test my reading of the situation.

If I did 2 more things right in that game…I'd want to make it 3 things..and so on.

And maybe, just maybe, one of those things I learned, is how not to get killed in the backfield again.

Give me the ball, I want it.