Kerry Joseph Joins Riders

Zontar

Great move ?  To me its a giant white flag of how Riders have firetrucked talent evaluation of their backup QBs.

Lots of chirping over there with the Cats fan. Have you forgotten your last playoff meeting with us?

That seems relevant to this topic.

Your right. I'll stay on topic.  Not sure what to think of the move. I don't mind it if Kerry is only here to back up Tino. If he is here to play I'll be scratching my head a bit. What I will defend is not standing still, we are in the hunt still and we are making moves to try to win. Hindsight helps us decide if the moves were good or not, but I'll never criticise Taman for trying to help us win. Sunseri and Doege are both very inexperienced. I have doubts whether or not DD returns this year. If we have to go into playoffs with a rookie and a raisin sobeit. If we are losing anyway for whatever reason, I guess throwing Kerry in isn't going to matter. Time will tell if this is a good move or not. One thing I will say is for those who have wrote us off for the year, stay tuned.

Hey D47, what part of last game has you convinced that Sunseri has turned the corner. The two quarters he absolutely stunk or the 4th quarter where he was able to move the ball when Calgary CLEARLY let their foot off the gas pedal. Sorry, but the 4th quarter had as much to do with Calgary mailing it in too early than it did with Sunseri  suddenly getting it. Either way though it was a loss in which Sunseri played wildly inconsistent. Reminds me a lot of Joey Elliott, except Elliott wouldn't bottom out as badly. Don't see too many wins for the Riders or for Sunseri any time soon.

Are the Riders making moves to win or just making moves. I would be shocked if Joseph could win a game against anyone now.

Sorry, but signing KJ does absolutely nothing to change anyone's opinion of the Rider's chances. There is an almost zero chance that the QB tandem of Sunseri/KJ can go into Commonwealth and then McMahon and win. Zero...zip....ain't gonna happen. Hate to inform you but this was going to be a longshot even with Durant. The Riders are simply not the same team they were last year.

Diamond Ferri, after a whole season of inactivity? Good depth move but hardly a difference maker and unless he now plays QB...irrelevant.

Taman's not picking off the CFL scrap heap...he's picking off players from the CFLPA pension fund list. You see this as improvement?

I suppose there's a possibility that the locker room is in turmoil and needed an infusion of leadership because from an onfield perspective these moves make little sense.

I still find it strange that Sunseri fell apart so quickly and thoroughly after looking pretty decent in admittedly limited playing time over the past year. Stranger still that Sask actually thought Sunseri was better than Willy. Neither Taman nor the coaches are stupid yet there they are.

Diamond Ferri, after a whole season of inactivity? Good depth move but hardly a difference maker and unless he now plays QB...irrelevant.

Taman's not picking off the CFL scrap heap...he's picking off players from the CFLPA pension fund list. You see this as improvement?

I suppose there's a possibility that the locker room is in turmoil and needed an infusion of leadership because from an onfield perspective these moves make little sense.

And to think they could have had Kuale for a first or second round pick...Taman - come on get it done!

I still find it strange that Sunseri fell apart so quickly and thoroughly after looking pretty decent in admittedly limited playing time over the past year. Stranger still that Sask actually thought Sunseri was better than Willy. Neither Taman nor the coaches are stupid yet there they are.

Do you honestly think the Riders wouldn't have kept Willy to be the backup this year if it would have been possible? Seriously? As far as Sunseri, he is a rookie, there will be many ups and downs.

And to think they could have had Kuale for a first or second round pick...Taman - come on get it done!

Kuale is tied for second in the league for most penalties with 11. Only Odell Willis has more with 13. Sorry but the Peg will be Kuales last stop in the cfl. 

Kuale is tied for second in the league for most penalties with 11. Only Odell Willis has more with 13. Sorry but the Peg will be Kuales last stop in the cfl. 

To be clear, I'm quite sure he was being sarcastic.

Hey Ripper, there was a LOT of talk last year and in the offseason coming from the Regina media that Taman was very comfortable letting Willy explore FA because they felt Sunseri had surpassed him on the DC.  Therefore, I am not convinced that he would have kept Willy even if they had the opportunity to do so. Which, of course, they did. There was no reason for Willy to believe that a starting QB spot was open anywhere until Hamilton released Burris and started the domino effect that created a spot in Winnipeg. Taman had a full two months of offseason to make Willy a decent contract extension offer at a time that Willy really didn't have an inkling that he would get a chance to be a starter.  Willy, himself, said he was never once asked about extending.

Taman, also, has a history of rolling the dice with inexperienced backups....a history that can be proven by the 2007 Grey Cup. Dinwiddie made his first professional start in a Grey Cup and it almost certainly cost us the game as we were the better team.

Great move ?  To me its a giant white flag of how Riders have firetrucked talent evaluation of their backup QBs.

Lots of chirping over there with the Cats fan. Have you forgotten your last playoff meeting with us?

That seems relevant to this topic.

Your right. I'll stay on topic.  Not sure what to think of the move. I don't mind it if Kerry is only here to back up Tino. If he is here to play I'll be scratching my head a bit. What I will defend is not standing still, we are in the hunt still and we are making moves to try to win. Hindsight helps us decide if the moves were good or not, but I'll never criticise Taman for trying to help us win. Sunseri and Doege are both very inexperienced. I have doubts whether or not DD returns this year. If we have to go into playoffs with a rookie and a raisin sobeit. If we are losing anyway for whatever reason, I guess throwing Kerry in isn't going to matter. Time will tell if this is a good move or not. One thing I will say is for those who have wrote us off for the year, stay tuned.

tell yourself whatever you have to, dude.

Hey Ripper, there was a LOT of talk last year and in the offseason coming from the Regina media that Taman was very comfortable letting Willy explore FA because they felt Sunseri had surpassed him on the DC.  Therefore, I am not convinced that he would have kept Willy even if they had the opportunity to do so. Which, of course, they did. There was no reason for Willy to believe that a starting QB spot was open anywhere until Hamilton released Burris and started the domino effect that created a spot in Winnipeg. Taman had a full two months of offseason to make Willy a decent contract extension offer at a time that Willy really didn't have an inkling that he would get a chance to be a starter.  Willy, himself, said he was never once asked about extending.

Taman, also, has a history of rolling the dice with inexperienced backups....a history that can be proven by the 2007 Grey Cup. Dinwiddie made his first professional start in a Grey Cup and it almost certainly cost us the game as we were the better team.

that is taman MO. backups are a great place to save money

What magic was Taman to do with a qb with a broken arm 7-8 days before the grey cup. However shitty that was, how many teams could have handled it any different. Blaming Taman 7 years later is what it is, sour grapes..

There was a huge debate here as to which was better with Willy and Sunseri. Many thought Drew took to many chances, others thought he would be a good one. For the record, I was/am a fan of Drew and would have loved to see him stay. I have never read anywhere that He wasn't offered a contract. All I ever seen or read was Drew wanted a chance to be a starter. Many fans here think sunseri is better but in a lot of cases that is just sour grapes on their part also. Fans have a tendency to bad mouth players that have left the team, rider fans are no different. Same goes for the bomber fans.  How many laughed when we signed Wil Ford??  No fanbase is ever in agreement on the moves the team makes. Believe me I'm not sure what to think about Kerry coming back either but I hope it works out for us. We signed 6 players today. Laugh all you want but time will tell. 

I didn't mention that in my post, but there is very likely some truth in your statement. Durant is very durable, probably there were some costs savings in mind also considering how little the Riders ever play a backup. Durants age also a factor, by the time DD was done Willy would have been past his prime.

Yup, best Grey Cup money could buy.

It was awesome, too bad you guys didn't show up.  Cheer up though you are in the east where u can be below 500 and still be in first place. Don't count on getting lucky against the argo's this year.  Do you have anything to add to the thread or are you just here to troll?

Yup, best Grey Cup money could buy.

It was awesome, too bad you guys didn't show up.  Cheer up though you are in the east where u can be below 500 and still be in first place. Don't count on getting lucky against the argo's this year.  Do you have anything to add to the thread or are you just here to troll?

I'm here just to troll. Only a troll couldn't see the genius signing of a 41 year old unemployed QB that struggled the last time he did play.

Fairly typical insecure Rider fan. If they wont praise 'em attack 'em.

Has taman every found a QB? Or has he just inherited the decent ones?

he inherited Durant that's the only one. His usual MO if he needs to find his own qb is look around the league at backups and get one of them in hopes they can start. Worked out pretty well for him with Khari Jones and Kevin Glenn. Now my timing is fuzzy, but was Taman the Riders GM when they brought in Drew Willy?

Has taman every found a QB? Or has he just inherited the decent ones?

he inherited Durant that's the only one. His usual MO if he needs to find his own qb is look around the league at backups and get one of them in hopes they can start. Worked out pretty well for him with Khari Jones and Kevin Glenn. Now my timing is fuzzy, but was Taman the Riders GM when they brought in Drew Willy?

I meant, has he ever brought one up to the CFL. I know how he got Jones and Glenn and Durain't. Just wondering if he's ever brought some up that have stuck. I seem to remember him being fairly bad at that while here.

I didn't mention that in my post, but there is very likely some truth in your statement. Durant is very durable, probably there were some costs savings in mind also considering how little the Riders ever play a backup. Durants age also a factor, by the time DD was done Willy would have been past his prime.

There is no question about it, saw it all the time when he was in Winnipeg. Guy pays his starters great, but saves money on the depth. Goes for more than QB too. I don't think it was an entirely bad move on his part with Saskatchewan either. They were already breaking the cap and guys would need raises and I am sure he had an inkling that Dressler might make his way back from the NFL. With Durant being as durable as he has been no one would consider it likely he'd see his season end permanently. They took a gamble and lost but it wasn't really a terrible gamble. They had to save money somewhere (if they wanted to even make an attempt at looking like they were being cap compliant)