To The Free Agents Who Refused To Sign Here. Go Stuff It

iso_55

The best news for the CFL is to have all 9 franchises healthy.  I hope all the teams get better facilities, more fans, and more revenue.  You can't have all the best players playing for the teams with the most cash.  Same goes for hockey, baseball, and NFL.

The NBA is quite different as a team can buy performance by getting three great players to fill the majority of the starting 5.

Can't blame guys for wanting to play close to home and I'm gonna be honest here, With our media and with the way the last few years have gone, I'm not even sure if i would have signed here if i played pro football..  It's all about winning and getting  rid of the gong show reputation we had for the last few years, that doesn't go away in one off-season. Wouldn't surprise me to see more guys signing here in the future though. 

Besides, Nick Moore, Graig Newman, Chris Randle, Drew Willy... sure 2 of them were trades but they all decided to sign here regardless. 

They have all been pretty solid, outside of newman who has been hurt but newmans injury, if there is a bright spot in that injury is that it has allowed teague sherman to step up and become a player for us. 

Can't blame guys for wanting to play close to home and I'm gonna be honest here, With our media and with the way the last few years have gone, I'm not even sure if i would have signed here if i played pro football..  It's all about winning and getting  rid of the gong show reputation we had for the last few years, that doesn't go away in one off-season. Wouldn't surprise me to see more guys signing here in the future though. 

Besides, Nick Moore, Graig Newman, Chris Randle, Drew Willy... sure 2 of them were trades but they all decided to sign here regardless. 

They have all been pretty solid, outside of newman who has been hurt but newmans injury, if there is a bright spot in that injury is that it has allowed teague sherman to step up and become a player for us. 

What does the media have to do with our ability to sign free agents?   

Free agency is always a crap shoot and more often times then not players will choose a team other then the one you cheer for.  The Riders put in a big offer of Shea Emry but were outbid by Toronto.  It happens all the time.

Iso is most likely referring specifically to Collaros who once signed in Hamilton I believe made some comments about how Tim Hortons field will be better than IGF or something, plus he was raving about the situation he was going to as well. So this post from him makes sense when you remember all the things that were said and posters reactions to them in the offseason.

still...this thread is below us. Let's not reduce ourselves to school yard "nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah" stuff. We're better than this...

Are we?  :D  :D  :D  :D

But on a serious note.  I think that the atmosphere that MOS is building, will bode well for us in the future.  I'm sure FA's talk to players on other teams to try and get an idea of the team environment before they sign.  Plus it's a small league and everyone knows everyone else's business.   

All I'm trying to say is it's not the media's fault.  

still...this thread is below us. Let's not reduce ourselves to school yard "nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah" stuff. We're better than this...

Are we?  :D  :D  :D  :D

But on a serious note.  I think that the atmosphere that MOS is building, will bode well for us in the future.  I'm sure FA's talk to players on other teams to try and get an idea of the team environment before they sign.  Plus it's a small league and everyone knows everyone else's business.   

All I'm trying to say is it's not the media's fault.  

I would agree. Stop giving the media ammunition and they'll stop stirring the pot.

Besides, MOS can use them to create an 'us against them' mentality. Simply put, prove them wrong.

Sure it is but to the guys that thumbed their noses at us, looks good on ya. 

Thumbed their noses at us?

Or maybe they just said "sorry, Winnipeg, we appreciate your offer but we've opted to choose a different one. Thank you"

Then what?

Pretty obvious to me that coaches & players didn't want to come here. It was more than a polite, "Thank you but we've opted for something elsewhere".  More like,"Yeah,right". 

Sure it is but to the guys that thumbed their noses at us, looks good on ya. 

Thumbed their noses at us?

Or maybe they just said "sorry, Winnipeg, we appreciate your offer but we've opted to choose a different one. Thank you"

Then what?

Pretty obvious to me that coaches & players didn't want to come here. It was more than a polite, "Thank you but we've opted for something elsewhere".  More like,"Yeah,right". 

It's true, we're stuck with the coordinators we are because no one else wanted to come here and that's due to the constant firing of coaches that goes on around here. Thankfully O'Shea seems to be putting some stability in place here so that should help in the future. 

I'm not wishing anyone anything bad. I just laugh at the situation teams like Hamilton, Toronto, Montreal & Ottawa are in as they all thought they'd be better than us & aren't. How many here are kind of snickering at Marcel Desjardins right now after his comments about the Bombers during the expansion draft in December?? All I'm doing is having a little fun at their expense. Enjoying it immensely. I'm tired of us being the league doormat & others walking all over us. 

Free agency is always a crap shoot and more often times then not players will choose a team other then the one you cheer for.  The Riders put in a big offer of Shea Emry but were outbid by Toronto.  It happens all the time.

Iso is most likely referring specifically to Collaros who once signed in Hamilton I believe made some comments about how Tim Hortons field will be better than IGF or something, plus he was raving about the situation he was going to as well. So this post from him makes sense when you remember all the things that were said and posters reactions to them in the offseason.

That & Marcel Desjardins insulting the Bomber organization with his comments after the expansion draft. Yep, I have a long memory. There was no need for Desjardins to even say anything publicly yet he did. He could have kept his comments about our players to himself but chose not to. Same with Collaros. Why he thought he felt the need to insult our stadium & gloat after he signed in Hamilton? So I won't forget those 2... The Rich Stubler thing... He said he wanted to remain closer to family so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one but I wonder... I mean, he had a ready made all star defense in Calgary compared to here so I really don't blame him for going to the Stamps over us. I think this off season free agents will want to come here with MOS as coach because clearly we're a young up & coming team now.

The media does play a role here, anyone who refuses to believe that has not been paying attention  the last few years

Coaches have refused to have interviews with us in the past... Anyone who honestly doesn't believe the Winnipeg media is one of the biggest problems in the Winnipeg sports world is seriously kidding themselves. They probably aren't a huge factor but you can bet your butt that they are a factor none the less in why people don't sign here. 

'Not a huge factor' is the key phrase.  Anyone who can't get past what the media, says, does, and writes, or lets the media influence decision making, shouldn't be managing a pro sports franchise.  Classic example was the Kevin Glenn situation. Not to mention whole Troy Westwood gong show.