Butchko Recommends Firing Mack *update Buchko Resigns & Mack Fired Wade Miller Hired As Acting Ceo*

holoman

In a far better location IMHO. Woudl've helped revitalize a lousy part of town. 

Even though I live in the south end, I can't argue with this.

It wasn't just the location, but the plans they had would have been huge for the City, Province and even the fans, although I wasn't crazy about the toilet bowl design.

Bombers Place anyone

stadiumatpackers3_small.jpg

It wasn't just the location, but the plans they had would have been huge for the City, Province and even the fans, although I wasn't crazy about the toilet bowl design.

Bombers Place anyone

Instead we shoe-horn it into a well established residential area. 

I seem to recall Canad Inns had some plans for a new stadium.

You mean the one that required taxpayer's cash in addition to Ledohowski coming up with 90 million in financing himself and involved a gift of 35 acres of land? Also proposed a 265M covered stadium which wasn't feasible due to the arrangement in place with True North. It wasn't doable.

SO you say, "Meeting next week to discuss the club"

That isn't the way things are done. Even if you could just say that, the documentation that must be sent to Board members well before the meeting would spell out exactly what the meeting would be about. There are procedures that have to be followed.

based on past history, no they do not. Lack of patience is the single biggest reason the grey cup drought has stretched out as long as it has. 

No, it's not lack of patience. The people the Bombers hire to manage or be head coaches suck. Plain & simple. They suck, they smell, they are useless. They've all sucked since Dave Ritchie was here. And they also sucked before Ritchie once Cal left. They suckage & bad odour has been at its worst the last 5 years.

I understand your points Rich, but at the same time, what qualifies Rhodes, Skulsky, Norrie, Rudge, Mitchell, Weightman, and Ashe ?

I honestly don't know what their qualifications are, but I also doubt the situation they were hired in mirrors Buchko's.  In your original post, you asked why the hatred for Buchko, and I tried to answer that.  A lot of it stems from his hiring being right after the long term deal with CJOB.  Following that with his incorrect declaration of the stadium being ready on time.  

He started off on a bad foot and he has yet to put a good one down.  It is Buchko's missteps and errors (or at least those made under his watch) that make people question his qualifications.  Have any of the other people you mentioned gotten the same "negative" publicity?  Made the same mistakes?   I don't the follow the other teams as closely, so I can't answer that question completely.

Do I think all the criticism directed his way is valid?  No.  

Do I think some of it is?  Definitely.

If Mack is not the guy, he should have been fired in the off season.   Is anyone shocked that we have the record we do with little to no changes from last season?  I'm not.  I was hoping for the best, but I didn't really expect all that much.  Mack promised to fix the QB problem, yet Buck was still the starter at the beginning of the season.  

If someone reporting to me isn't fixing or doing something they promised me they would, then I'm after them until it gets done.  Now I don't what discussions happened between the two of them in the off season, and maybe this firing now is the result of that.

I'm not advocating firing Buchko at this point.  I think he needs to be given time to hire his own guy and put his own operating structure in place, but in my mind, he has certainly used some of his strikes already.

The bottom line is that there is something inherently wrong with the Bombers management structure and the way they do things.  From Lyle Bauer underfunding Taman in the early/mid 2000's to hiring Mike Kelly and going to Joe Mack and Buchko's missteps, the delayed stadium to the opening day logistical nightmare , this organization has been mired in futility for going on a decade now, and they really don't seem to have a clue as to what they are doing.  Especially when you compare the way they are run to the way True North runs the Jets.  

Is this Buchko?  Is this the environment he has been given to work in and stems from the board?   I don't know, time will tell.   Maybe Nasty Nate has been right all these years and the Bomber board has to go.

That isn't the way things are done. Even if you could just say that, the documentation that must be sent to Board members well before the meeting would spell out exactly what the meeting would be about. There are procedures that have to be followed.

So you send "official documentation" to discuss the "direction of the club." Hell, put it in a gold embossed envelope for all I care.

You don't say "Agenda: fire Joe Mack" for a meeting in a week from now. 

Bombers Place anyone

Not to drag up old arguments, but you guys are dead wrong on this. There's a reason this land is still undeveloped. It STINKS. Literally. The mushroom plant is across the street. Rothesay rendering is around the corner. Plus TRAINS. I worked right there for a decade. That idea was laughable,and the stadium design was a bare-bones joke. Don't pretend we aren't way ahead being where are today, because that site would not survive and would have been the laughingstock of the stadium world, never mind the cfl.

No, it's not lack of patience. The people the Bombers hire to manage or be head coaches suck. Plain & simple. They suck, they smell, they are useless. They've all sucked since Dave Ritchie was here. And they also sucked before Ritchie once Cal left. They suckage & bad odour has been at its worst the last 5 years.

I'd say it's impatience .. the club traded picks .. mortgaged its future in an attempt to win now .. a large part of why we are here today is because we fell short .. were prone to knee jer reactions and left our cupboards bare.

Bullshit. A simple, vague agenda is all that is required, if even that. He'll the meeting could even take place by conference call if the can get a quorum.

I'd say it's impatience .. the club traded picks .. mortgaged its future in an attempt to win now .. a large part of why we are here today is because we fell short .. were prone to knee jer reactions and left our cupboards bare.

But that's not impatience per se by the fans. I think 17to85 was talking impatience by the media & fans. What you're talking about was impatience & lousy management, period. Which led to bad decisions. Hence the management & coaching SUCKED.

The fed thing was a joke. What'd they throw in?  Ten million??? We shouldn't have had the feds dictating where the stadium went.

$15 million which went to the University Rec Centre, not sure what it has to do with IGF though ?

But that's not impatience per se by the fans. I think 17to85 was talking impatience by the media & fans. What you're talking about was impatience & lousy management, period. Which led to bad decisions. Hence the management & coaching SUCKED.

The fans are a large reason why the team reached and fell flat .. the organization caved to howling masses who demanded an end to the drought .. not down playing the terrible hires and fires .. but the fans here in Winnipeg can't wait to build a strong viable franchise .. they demand instant gratification ..

The constant bad hirings are the reason we're here not the impatience IMO. Constant losing & big talk & no action fuel the impatience. And the fact if we can bring in an inexperienced coach or manager to save a buck, (which we'll probably do again) we'll do that as well. It all comes into play. That is how this team rolls.

I suppose the question has to be asked then, why do the Bombers Brass continue to make bad decisions ?

Also are we the fans and even the media here the reason why changes happen so often ?

The fans are a large reason why the team reached and fell flat .. the organization caved to howling masses who demanded an end to the drought .. not down playing the terrible hires and fires .. but the fans here in Winnipeg can't wait to build a strong viable franchise .. they demand instant gratification ..

How long is long enough?

Ritchie got what 4 years

Taman 5 at least

Kelly shouldn't have had any

Mack is in year 4

If you can't put a respectable product on the field within 3 years in the CFL, then you should be out.

The constant bad hirings are the reason we're here not the impatience IMO. Constant losing & big talk & no action fuel the impatience. And the fact if we can bring in an inexperienced coach or manager to save a buck, (which we'll probably do again) we'll do that as well. It all comes into play. That is how this team rolls.

no it's clearly impatience. Lyle Bauer was the worst for it. Fired Dave Ritchie at the first sign of trouble. If he's been patient with him I have no doubts the team wouldn't have fallen into the tank like it did after he left. Then after they corrected that mistake Berry was fired the first sign of trouble despite starting to build depth and improve the team and we got Mike Kelly and his do whatever it takes to win right now mandate. Lack of patience has led to a whole host of bad decisions.