How To Get 24,000 People in & Out Of TD Bank Stadium

iso_55

Very interesting take on it.  Kives' head would explode if he put a positive spin like that on the Bombers' transportation plan.  Ottawa seems to be taking the position of "how stupid do you have to be to try and drive to the Stadium" rather than "how stupid do you have to be to expect people not to drive to the stadium".

They have only two points of entry just like we do also.  My fear for Ottawa is they sound rather confident, much like the Bombers did before the first few games.  We're actually quite lucky to have so much parking so close to IGF.  Although I maintain that the next hurdle to over-come will be a violent rain storm or bitter cold where you wont have so many people cycling and walking.  What they do for November games and the NHL game will be very interesting.

Also notice the transportation plan for Ottawa is free for Redblacks fans.

Very interesting take on it.  Kives' head would explode if he put a positive spin like that on the Bombers' transportation plan.  Ottawa seems to be taking the position of "how stupid do you have to be to try and drive to the Stadium" rather than "how stupid do you have to be to expect people not to drive to the stadium".

They have only two points of entry just like we do also.  My fear for Ottawa is they sound rather confident, much like the Bombers did before the first few games.  We're actually quite lucky to have so much parking so close to IGF.  Although I maintain that the next hurdle to over-come will be a violent rain storm or bitter cold where you wont have so many people cycling and walking.  What they do for November games and the NHL game will be very interesting.

Also notice the transportation plan for Ottawa is free for Redblacks fans.

For this year ;)

Winnipeg could have had light rail like Calgary & Edmonton 40 years ago as Steve Juba was a proponent of it but it never happened.  Too much political opposition. Had we had one line built years ago the people would have loved it & more lines would have been installed over the years. However, Mayor Juba was called a pie in the sky dreamer & a guy who liked to spend taxpayers money too easily. Now, the cost is just too much.

For example, the City of Calgary, the Feds & the Province of Alberta funded the just completed west leg of the C Train line in December 2013 that goes from downtown to the western outskirts of Calgary. Probably a 15 to 20 minute minute ride from start to finish. The cost was a staggering $2 billion. It is amazing to see how fast you can get places in Calgary with it. The big complaint here with public transportation is we have this great C Train system & terrible bus service to get people to & from the C Train stations. Or the C Trains run late or early but the bus service doesn't so people can't get to them to go somewhere or get home after. Just crazy there'd be those problems & they seem unfixable. But man, for Flames & Stamps fans, light rail moves thousands easily on Game days to the Saddledome & McMahon Stadium. 

One of the most amazing things about Calgary, to me, is C Trains. I avoid public transport at all costs because who really wants to sit with all the unwashed masses when you can drive yourself....but I do take it places when we are drinking and dont have a dd. Generally going to Stampede or up to McMahon when parking is going to be so unreasonably expensive and hard to find...we will c train it. Just easier...

Winnipeg could have had light rail like Calgary & Edmonton 40 years ago as Steve Juba was a proponent of it but it never happened.  Too much political opposition. Had we had one line built years ago the people would have loved it & more lines would have been installed over the years. However, Mayor Juba was called a pie in the sky dreamer & a guy who liked to spend taxpayers money too easily. Now, the cost is just too much.

For example, the City of Calgary, the Feds & the Province of Alberta funded the just completed west leg of the C Train line in December 2013 that goes from downtown to the western outskirts of Calgary. Probably a 15 to 20 minute minute ride from start to finish. The cost was a staggering $2 billion. It is amazing to see how fast you can get places in Calgary with it. The big complaint here with public transportation is we have this great C Train system & terrible bus service to get people to & from the C Train stations. Or the C Trains run late or early but the bus service doesn't so people can't get to them to go somewhere or get home after. Just crazy there'd be those problems & they seem unfixable. But man, for Flames & Stamps fans, light rail moves thousands easily on Game days to the Saddledome & McMahon Stadium. 

The problem with transit in Calgary is that it is great for getting people to and from downtown, but as soon as you have to go anywhere else it is a giant pain in the ass and winds up taking forever. 

The problem with transit in Calgary is that it is great for getting people to and from downtown, but as soon as you have to go anywhere else it is a giant pain in the ass and winds up taking forever. 

Yes, that is the big problem. 

The other crazy thing about the C Train system here is there's no line to the airport with no plans to add that line for a couple of decades. What other major city that prides itself about being world class & yet we only have buses running to the airport but no train? The new West Leg of the C Train also didn't include Mount Royal University. I understand that when negotiations started for the new route almost a decade ago, then Mayor Dave Bronconnier's riding would have lost out if the line dipped southwest from downtown & he made sure that would never happen.Thousands more Calgarians would have benefitted had that line run to Mount Royal University but just an example of politics at it's worst. 

The other crazy thing about the C Train system here is there's no line to the airport with no plans to add that line for a couple of decades. What other major city that prides itself about being world class & yet we only have buses running to the airport but no train? The new West Leg of the C Train also didn't include Mount Royal University. I understand that when negotiations started for the new route almost a decade ago, then Mayor Dave Bronconnier's riding would have lost out if the line dipped southwest from downtown & he made sure that would never happen.Thousands more Calgarians would have benefitted had that line run to Mount Royal University but just an example of politics at it's worst. 

To be fair though, putting the west leg where they did probably services a lot more people. Trying to get it down to Mount Royal would have been pretty silly since the city ends at the reserve just past there. 

Edmonton also has 0 parking iirc.

parking definitely sucks at commonwealth. There's an LRT station near the stadium, there are quite a few park and rides and 30-40 bars/restuarants that do shuttle service, although probably close to half of that is all the boston pizza locations here (there are BP's everywhere here).  Big reason I don't go to many games is the lack of parking, with what the travel time would be I go for the more comfortable seating at home, cheaper drinks and settle for 58" screen and surround sound.

To be fair though, putting the west leg where they did probably services a lot more people. Trying to get it down to Mount Royal would have been pretty silly since the city ends at the reserve just past there. 

Wonder if they'll ever get a leg down there? The airport needs a line, though. 

parking definitely sucks at commonwealth. There's an LRT station near the stadium, there are quite a few park and rides and 30-40 bars/restuarants that do shuttle service, although probably close to half of that is all the boston pizza locations here (there are BP's everywhere here).  Big reason I don't go to many games is the lack of parking, with what the travel time would be I go for the more comfortable seating at home, cheaper drinks and settle for 58" screen and surround sound.

The area around Commonwealth sure looks like North Winnipeg. 

my brother and his gf were moving out here and asked me to look at an apartment near there, I said no, find a place south of the river if you want to be in that part of town. I wouldn't live around there, they drove by when they came out and then thanked me.

Edmonton is Winnipeg with money...period.  Right down to "Old Strathcona" neighbourhood, where Cook County Saloon is (...not that I'm familiar with this establishment or the Chocolate Martini Shooters that Miss Audrey provides....)

it would be really cool if they had a shuttle service by boat on the canal in ottawa, i wonder if they have anything planned.  There is already so much traffic with tourist tours there that im sure they could snag some big boats and shuttle people from the Carleton/Mooneys bay area and from downtown.