Beasts And Bums

Guest J5V

Beasts:

- Mack for building us an impressive D-Line

- Simpson for running hard the whole game without an O-Line in front of him

- Woods for running back kickoffs so hard the whole game

- Anderson for playing and hitting hard

- Wpg D-line and secondary for keeping us in the game until it gets held and gassed in the second half

- Punt coverage team which did an excellent job tackling today

Bums:

- Mack for not building us a better O-Line despite four years to do it

- O-Line

- Crowton for being brain-dead and unimaginative

- Crowton again for trying to steal the spotlight from Goltz after Goltz's TD run (get off the sidelines, you bum!)

- Matthews for being so soft on the ball

- Sorensen for selfish, brain-dead penalty deep in our end

- The refs for the bad call on the Lulay tackle in the first half that destroyed Bomber MO and extended the BC drive that lead to a BC TD that ends up being the difference in the game

- The refs again for allowing BC O-Line to hold Wpg D-Line for entire second half

- Crowton again for trying to steal the spotlight from Goltz after Goltz's TD run (get off the sidelines, you bum!)

I can remember seeing a number of posts at various forums criticizing Crowton for being in the press box and now that he's on the sidelines he's being criticized for it. 

Bums:

Whoever was supposed to be "blocking" on that opening kickoff. What a terrible, terrible effort that was.

Yes you're right. I remember seeing that pathetic effort at blocking when I saw it on replay.

I can remember seeing a number of posts at various forums criticizing Crowton for being in the press box and now that he's on the sidelines he's being criticized for it. 

Why was he there at all? To be seen taking credit for anything positive the offense might do? Auditioning for his next job? Tell me.

Maybe because he's the QB coach who was helping his QB in only his second game starting?

Could that possibly be it?

Looking at Goltz's stats, I doubt it.

Beast

Jovon Johnson - tight coverage and solid tackling.  Really ontop of his game last night both mentally and physically.

Woods - watching him truck Bighill was the highlight of the night for me.

Bum

Clarence Denmark - loved his past contributions but he simply isn't playing well enough to warrant his spot on the roster.

Woods - is he supposed to be shifty or speedy because he's flashed neither ability so far and put the ball on the ground again.

JJ had a great game. really stood out IMO. Makes me think a little more about the theroy that was floating around out there that the guys in our secondary were screwing up because they were trying to cover for Cauchy every game. Cauchy looked freaking lost out there today and when BC scored on him the player wouldn't stop blabbing about how he beat Cauchy fo the score. If Cauchy was supposed to be an upgrade over Logan I haven't seen it so far.

Crowton - third and one, the best short yd QB in the cfl and u hand off out of shotgun.

Crowton - second and 2 and u run the same play twice and fail to get the first down.....

So what was wrong with play call? It was a read play, instead of pulling it and busting contain when both ends crashed in, Goltz gave it to Simpson with three Lions already there. Bad read, nothing wrong with the call. That is Goltz's bread and butter, he sucks on sneaks from under centre, IMO that is exactly what every OC in the league would call in that spot with Goltz.

So what was wrong with play call? It was a read play, instead of pulling it and busting contain when both ends crashed in, Goltz gave it to Simpson with three Lions already there. Bad read, nothing wrong with the call. That is Goltz's bread and butter, he sucks on sneaks from under centre, IMO that is exactly what every OC in the league would call in that spot with Goltz.

And I guess thats why every DC in the league would know it was coming and stop it as easily as they did. Assuming Goltz could have broke contain there is being optimistic....you already pointed out how soon the Lions players were "right there".

JJ had a great game. really stood out IMO. Makes me think a little more about the theroy that was floating around out there that the guys in our secondary were screwing up because they were trying to cover for Cauchy every game. Cauchy looked freaking lost out there today and when BC scored on him the player wouldn't stop blabbing about how he beat Cauchy fo the score. If Cauchy was supposed to be an upgrade over Logan I haven't seen it so far.

Better athleticism .. better range .. if nothing else it allows him some latitude to react to mental lapses .. he *IS* an upgrade over Logan in that he has a much higher ceiling

I've noticed that Goltz needs to work on how he does this zone-read play - It seems like of he doesn't look up during the hand-off to check the ends... almost like they've decided to run/not-run before the play even starts rather than a read-option where he decides based on the movement of the ends during the hand-off.

And I guess thats why every DC in the league would know it was coming and stop it as easily as they did. Assuming Goltz could have broke contain there is being optimistic....you already pointed out how soon the Lions players were "right there".

They were all on Simpson, Goltz pulls it and he's in the 2nd level (first down) with the possibility of more if he can beat a HB. He needs to read that end on his right, they are attacking his inside or outside gap depending on what he shows, he went inside (B or 4) the ball and Goltz needed to go outside (C or 6). Goltz's TD was almost exactly the same, except he made the right choice on that one.