Can we "Worman" Gary Ethchevery?

B-F-F-C

Said it in another thread but it's worth repeating here: this defence .. our run D in particular .. doesn't paint our unconventional defensive coordinator in the best light .. certainly doesn't do much to build confidence in the man ..

It's early .. All I can hope for is improvement ..

I second TBurg...  we heard last pre-season about 'Vanilla this, Vanilla that' and 'pre-season doesn't count'...

Sure looked like pre-season counted to Nik Lewis tonight.  But he's used to winning...

Etch will not last this season - its not even the schemes right now, its sloppy tackling, the confusion and the utter lack of pressure by our DL

You look at some of the tackles in this game - a LOT of arm tackling - the guys really using their body from what I saw were Wild, Markett, Suber, Newman, Randle - I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

We've improved from last season but this team looks worse than Lapo's in 2010.

How can you say anything about where this team ranks compared to years past without one meaningful game being played? I get your concerns but come on.

Just comparing Bomber's peformance compared to all the other meaningless games for other teams.  Sask and Ottawa both looked more prepared than we do.

But, yeah, this team reminds me of 2010...  the guys love the coach and respect him but its just not there.

No I'm not. I'm basing it on the defences I've seen other teams play so far this off season.   Plus you can play a vanilla defence and still be effective. 

Maybe several of the players aren't that good?

For instance, we had Rene Stephan playing the majority of the game, a guy who probably shouldn't be on a CFL roster in any capacity, let alone LB on defense.

No I'm not. I'm basing it on the defences I've seen other teams play so far this off season.   Plus you can play a vanilla defence and still be effective. 

Maybe several of the players aren't that good?

For instance, we had Rene Stephan playing the majority of the game, a guy who probably shouldn't be on a CFL roster in any capacity, let alone LB on defense.

I partially agree but we did play most of our A-list DL for the whole game...  Anderson, Peach, Thomas, Turner, Vega, Moseley/Tate... these guys will be rotating in our starting lineup.  They did nothing.

Most other teams didn't even dress their best defensive players...  the only guys who sat out for us were injured.

My biggest concern is that Kuale did not stand out... and that for a second game, Banks and Dunn looked a step behind. These guys are pretty much locks to make the starting lineup.  Wild, who has been our best LB, likely will be a backup on Day One...

If I get a chance I will have to go back and watch the entire game, but from what I saw I was completely underwhelmed by the tackling or like thereof.  Couldn't believe the ease with which the running backs ran the ball..right through the interior of the line too.  Seemed the Qb or running back would gain 5 yards minimum before even being touched by a D-Lineman or linebacker.  Also surprised how small our the Bomber d looks out there..well OK, not really this is an Etcheverry defense after all.

I would be surprised if he was outright fired before the season ended, but I wouldn't be surprised if he received "help" during some point in the season which really means he no longer gets to call the plays and is a dead man walking.  We've seen this happen recently around the league.

I could see this team being at the bottom or at least in the bottom-2 for running yards against per game and average yards per carry against.  Etch probably won't make it to 2015.

We've lost two games by a total of 5 points and were right in them until the end. Big improvement in effort and our offence at least looks like it may be able to keep us in most games, maybe even take the lead if we get the receivers in there that can catch the blinkin' ball (see Moore, Watson etc)!  :( Good news is it's preseason and it don't count. Better news is we have some time for our vet injuries to heal. 

As sure as the sun will rise, we will all read way too much into preseason.

We sucked in the preseason last year. People were worried and it turned out they had every right to be worried.

We lost by a total of 7 points combined and our starting QB appears to be pretty good.

I'd say we're miles ahead of last year at this time.

We sucked in the preseason last year. People were worried and it turned out they had every right to be worried.

We lost by a total of 7 points combined and our starting QB appears to be pretty good.

The fact that our QB actually played in the pre-season puts us ahead of last year.

I completely agree actually.  And, it turns out 2010 was miles ahead of 2013...

Maybe we'll make it to the Grey Cup next year...

i am cautiously optomistic:}

I remember former Blue Bomber head coach Joe Zaleski using a very similar phrase in his time as the Bomber on field boss from 1967 thru the 1969 season. At various times, during all 3 training camps & pre seasons he was in charge, the local media asked Joe how he felt the team was doing. He'd always cheerily answer, "We're optimistic!!" He won something like 12 football games as head coach in 3 seasons. I remember this because as a young fan of 13 & 14, even I knew it was a bullshit answer & was sick of hearing that phrase so much that it always stuck with me. Even after 45 years plus!! Zaleski is one of my top 3 Worst Blue Bombers Head Coaches Of All Time. The other 2? Jeff Reinbold & Tim Burke. Not necessarily in that order.

i am cautiously optomistic:}

I remember former Blue Bomber head coach Joe Zaleski using a very similar phrase in his time as the Bomber on field boss from 1967 thru the 1969 season. At various times, during all 3 training camps & pre seasons he was in charge, the local media asked Joe how he felt the team was doing. He'd always cheerily answer, "We're optimistic!!" He won something like 12 football games as head coach in 3 seasons. I remember this because as a young fan of 13 & 14, even I knew it was a bullshit answer & was sick of hearing that phrase so much that it always stuck with me. Even after 45 years plus!! Zaleski is one of my top 3 Worst Blue Bombers Head Coaches Of All Time. The other 2? Jeff Reinbold & Tim Burke. Not necessarily in that order.

I pretty much agree with your Top 3 Al. Other gridiron grapes were Daryl Rogers, Jim Daley and the last portions of Cal Murphy's reign where he started to lose it. Plop was no great shakes but the type of personnel he was supplied with explains a lot.