Some Bulletin Board Fodder...

robynjt

Saw this in the Calgary Sun with some quotes from the Lemonator:

1045158_10151728246179154_1558000477_n.j

Other comments include the fact that:

- Buck and Goltz are the exact same style of QB so there was no difference in preparing (both athletic)

- Goltz should hang onto the ball longer

Found the article: http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/07/23/calgary-stampeders-focus-on-getting-to-winnipeg-blue-bombers-qb-justin-goltz

If they're preparing for a QB who is at the same level athletically as Buck Pierce, they're in for a big surprise.

If they're preparing for a QB who is going to hold onto the ball as long as Buck Pierce, they're in for a big surprise.

Good for them.

To some extent, he's right .. Goltz as an inexperience quarterback will hold onto the ball a bit longer ..  but he *IS* more mobile and athletic than Pierce ..the comment about sacks waiting to happen is just food for the OLINE .. I hope they run it down Calgary's throat all game long ..

Athletically I don’t see a huge difference between Goltz and Pierce.  Clearly Goltz gets the edge because he is younger and has a more solid frame, so to speak, but I don’t think the difference is huge. When Pierce actually runs, with a purpose, he is pretty quick.

The problem with Pierce is that he has to reign himself in, or risk an injury.  In other words, the biggest difference between the two at this point is that when Goltz does hold on to the ball and gets in a little bit of trouble, he will be willing to take off with it.  Goltz, oddly enough, seems to have more pocket awareness in that sense at this point.

Another thing that Goltz did last game that Pierce never seems to do any more is, when there doesn’t seem to be anyone open, he scrambles around a bit to give someone a chance to shake free of the defender and then hits the open WR. 

Based on the last game, the way Goltz plays is much different than the way Pierce has been playing.

Goltz is starting his first game ever in the CFL though, so I do expect a sack or two because he isn't quite sure where to go with the ball.  I would rather take that though than an interception.  I just hope the fans can have patients with him.

Will Goltz surprise that Calgary defence?  I hope so. 

Athletically I don’t see a huge difference between Goltz and Pierce.  Clearly Goltz gets the edge because he is younger and has a more solid frame, so to speak, but I don’t think the difference is huge. When Pierce actually runs, with a purpose, he is pretty quick. 

I am not one to Horse a Deadbeat but I think the 2013 Goltz is much faster than the 2013 Buck....I think. 

If they're preparing for a QB who is at the same level athletically as Buck Pierce, they're in for a big surprise.

If they're preparing for a QB who is going to hold onto the ball as long as Buck Pierce, they're in for a big surprise.

Good for them.

you beat me too it. Those comments are very nice to read cause it tells me that the stamps d-line has no idea what Goltz can do. Much more athletic than Pierce at this point AND much more aware and able to make a decision with the ball (ie. doesn't hold it as long) 

This will be an adjustment for Goltz.  Pierce often had the issue of not allowing the play to develop, and he has missed receivers that were/would have been open because of it.  Goltz will no doubt be a little anxious, but if he can stay patient, and trust his o-line, and his instinct, he can make good things happen down field.

Good for them.

We definitely have a shot at an upset this week.

I watched Glenn January being interviewed about the Charleston Hughes comment and he just said "If I was in high school still I might care".  Hee hee.  I'd like to see the hogs put in a good effort this game as the Toronto d-line was pushing them around pretty good last game.  It does help if Calgary comes in over-confident.

Goltz was in Detroits camp with Stafford, he ran a 4.3 - 40.......that's pretty darn quick.

4.3 is fast for a returner or cb let alone a qb. I'm not calling you a liar, but do you have a link for that? that's like Michael Vick in his prime or RG3 speed.

4.3 is fast for a returner or cb let alone a qb. I'm not calling you a liar, but do you have a link for that? that's like Michael Vick in his prime or RG3 speed.

I found this article from 2009. http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/05/walled_lakes_justin_goltz_does.html

In the comments section it mentions that Goltz ran a 4.5 40 in school - but its a post from his uncle so who knows if it is accurate.  Also interesting was the fact that Goltz and Obama went to the same school - Occidental.

Obama_Occidental.jpg

http://www.oxy.edu/our-story/oxy-people/obama-oxy

here's an interesting factoid - Goltz grew up in a small town in Michigan but played college ball in California.  Tom Brady grew up in a small town in California but went to school in Michigan.  Amazing parallel!  :D

Was that when Tom's dad Mike, met and married Carol Ann Martin and brought her 3 daughters into the fold?

here's an interesting factoid - Goltz grew up in a small town in Michigan but played college ball in California.  Tom Brady grew up in a small town in California but went to school in Michigan.  Amazing parallel!  :D

Eerie Alternative Universe kinda stuff. ;)

wow - quite the bunch of Bradys if that was indeed the case.

Well, it says so right here: 

Till the one day when the lady met this fellow 

And they knew it was much more than a hunch, 

That this group would somehow form a family. 

That's the way we all became the Brady Bunch. 

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/thebradybunchlyrics.html