The TV Thread

oh man I don't want that to happen again, last time I had no Jets, No Once, No Nashville, No Whose Line to keep me occupied, just Kid Nation to keep me occupied (yes I watched that, I was interested in the premise)....oh and Total Drama but this could mean more reality shows......maybe they should just air reruns of old shows during the strike

I could use a complete list of shows that will be effected. Though I don't like Once's chances of getting a 7th season, Nashville probably has the season finale all written by now

the difference between this time around and last time really is talk shows, it would be a shame if Conan was effected

also didn't the last one result in rebootapalooza?

Edited by iHeart

11 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

With the WGA's 10 year contract expiring may 1st with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers and apparently the writers not being happy with the way things have been for them since the last strike that lasted from November 5, 2007 - Feb 12, 2008

67.5% of the WGA members voted with 96.3% of them saying yes to a strike. 

http://www.laweekly.com/news/will-the-writers-guild-of-america-go-on-strike-8148766

Some shows that could be in jeopardy are; talk shows, The Walking Dead, Jessica Jones, Star Trek Discovery, American Horror Story to name a few

Some shows that will be fine as they are all ready to go are Game of Thrones, Twin Peaks, Orange is the New Black

http://uproxx.com/tv/the-walking-dead-season-8-strike/2/

IT makes sense that the writers want a better deal due to the changing landscape in television.  You have a plethora of series with much shorter seasons now.  And while its easy to say that someone writing 13 episodes should get paid less than someone writing 20, the trend has seen those shorter seasons be more critically acclaimed and potentially generate more revenue.  Writers should be paid accordingly.

But there is a lot of money at stake.  I think they resolve it.  I recall when the film writers went on strike, Star Trek was filming and they said they couldnt even do alternate takes that altered a word in the script.  it was basically locked so the usual creativity that happens during filming wasnt there.  I imagine its the same for TV.  So if TWD, for example (and Star Trek is another) begins filming the episodes already written, they will not be able to make many changes to the written word. 

Hopefully it is resolved.

http://lrmonline.com/news/dc-digital-service-to-launch-with-live-action-titans-series-from-greg-berlanti-akiva-goldsman

New OTT streaming service from DC

The platform “is designed as an immersive experience with fan interaction and will encompass comics as well as TV series.”

Teen Titans as the first Live Action program.

“In the action-adventure series, **** Grayson emerges from the shadows to become the leader of a fearless band of new heroes that includes Starfire, Raven and others.”

30 minutes ago, iHeart said:

But.....but.......but Dan died at the end oh and by the way, the actor that played Mark has been dead for 15 years, how will they address that?

http://tvline.com/2017/04/28/roseanne-revival-abc-netflix-eight-episodes/

really mark died? and that long ago? i guess if we had that random death thread on ourbombers back in the day i may have known this lol

Just now, Taynted_Fayth said:

really mark died? and that long ago? i guess if we had that random death thread on ourbombers back in the day i may have known this lol

yeah he died of a Heroin overdose you can look up Glenn Quinn  (I don't know if there is one N too many in there)

5 hours ago, iHeart said:

But.....but.......but Dan died at the end oh and by the way, the actor that played Mark has been dead for 15 years, how will they address that?

http://tvline.com/2017/04/28/roseanne-revival-abc-netflix-eight-episodes/

I doubt that they can pull in Johnny Galecki either...  

I'd also assume they would ignore the last season of the show since it went off the rails and was absolutely ridiculous.  

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I'd also assume they would ignore the last season of the show since it went off the rails and was absolutely ridiculous.  

This will go nowhere. In hindsight when u know what happened at the end of the show you kinda give a pass to the last season but I also can see opinions of the other way that it was messed up to begin with.

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

even if they do it'll be for a recurring role

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

The whole last season didn't happen if I recall. The never won the lottery and all that. The previous season Dan had a heart attack and survived.  But it was revealed he actually died and the last season was Roseanne fictionalizing their life as part of therapy (she was writing a book). 

I think for an 8 episode mini series they'd get all the cast. Johnny Gallecki is pretty close friends with Sara Gilbert. Mark could be recast or written out.  Having Dan survive would be the big one. 

Rpseanne was a great show that suffered as the people involved began getting to cute for their own good. 

Does it even matter?  Are people going to cancel their subscription because this can be downloaded early?  Not likely. 

They don't lose commercial revenue or box office receipts with their delivery model. 

If anything, this just gives their show free advertising as it is discussed more in the news. 

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The whole last season didn't happen if I recall. The never won the lottery and all that. The previous season Dan had a heart attack and survived.  But it was revealed he actually died and the last season was Roseanne fictionalizing their life as part of therapy (she was writing a book). 

I think for an 8 episode mini series they'd get all the cast. Johnny Gallecki is pretty close friends with Sara Gilbert. Mark could be recast or written out.  Having Dan survive would be the big one. 

Rpseanne was a great show that suffered as the people involved began getting to cute for their own good. 

I think if they were able to recast becky mid way through the series (tho i remember not really caring for becky 2.0 even tho she was hotter) no reason they can't recast Mark

Yes they recast Becky because original Becky went to school. Then she came back and they switched them again. I believe they had them both appear on an episode too for fun. 

As for Orange I agree Rich that it likely doesn't hurt them much. But as a sub service they expect to add 3 million subs for orange and if any of those people download it they have no reason to sub. 

It won't make current subscribers cancel but it could result in less new subs. And that would impact their share price. So it could cause them to realize it early. Depends how wide it is known I'd guess. 

46 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes they recast Becky because original Becky went to school. Then she came back and they switched them again. I believe they had them both appear on an episode too for fun. 

As for Orange I agree Rich that it likely doesn't hurt them much. But as a sub service they expect to add 3 million subs for orange and if any of those people download it they have no reason to sub. 

It won't make current subscribers cancel but it could result in less new subs. And that would impact their share price. So it could cause them to realize it early. Depends how wide it is known I'd guess. 

yeah they were spoofing the Patty Duke show opener

12 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I'd assume they ignore Dan having a heart attack,  the brothers dating the wrong sisters and all that crap.  

I'm to lazy to google but isn't the creators and writers for Big Bang the same people who did Roseanne hence why the cameos with Laurie Metcalf and Sara Gilbert?  

On 2017-04-29 at 1:40 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

This will go nowhere. In hindsight when u know what happened at the end of the show you kinda give a pass to the last season but I also can see opinions of the other way that it was messed up to begin with.

Of course you give a pass to last season because it never actually happened within the shows canon. The "real" events ended when Dan had his heart attack. Everything after that was a fictionialized account of life after Dan by the Roseanne character fantasizing. 

17 hours ago, Rich said:

I never realized those shows increase their subscriptions that much.  Always thought it was more about retention. 

Do these people subscribe, binge watch, then cancel?

I guess they do. I remember when sopranos was hot, HBO seemed pretty clearly to have a strategy of realeasing certain shows at various quarters. I guess to get people to not cancel. 

I follow WWE numbers pretty closely. And what happens is X amount of people subscribe and a large percentage cancels. But every year you slowly gain. So 500.000 new subs and 430,000 cancellations. Net positive of 70,000. 

With Netflix I always imagined most people didn't bother to cancel. 

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Just watched the lay over on netflix. Im a big anthony bourdain fan, its not as good as parts unknown but its very similar and very good. 

Love Bourdain. Not sure why he was doing the Layover especially when he was still shooting or finishing No Reservations.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg