The TV Thread

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I guess they do. I remember when sopranos was hot, HBO seemed pretty clearly to have a strategy of realeasing certain shows at various quarters. I guess to get people to not cancel. 

I follow WWE numbers pretty closely. And what happens is X amount of people subscribe and a large percentage cancels. But every year you slowly gain. So 500.000 new subs and 430,000 cancellations. Net positive of 70,000. 

With Netflix I always imagined most people didn't bother to cancel. 

HBO better not even THINK about reviving the Sopranos, no Gandolfini no way

well tomorrow is the first day of May and May means negotiation season, but this time the stakes are raised big time, considering that a WGA strike is looming.....again, hopefully it'll be finished before August, so that everything can start on schedule....those poor this is us fans

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Always thought Sop's was overrated.

I don't even know what to say. Lol

greatest drama of all time. Although it's a show that suffered due to its creator taking so much time off. Plus he did get too cute at times. And the whole thing suffered by running out of time at the end. 

But watching it on DVD without a year off between seasons, it's phenomenal. Incredible cast. Incredible performances. 

To this day whenever I hear the HBO logo intro the sopranos theme song immediately pops into my head. Sort of like how the 20th century fox fanfare is so associated with Star Wars. 

10 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

greatest drama of all time. Although it's a show that suffered due to its creator taking so much time off. Plus he did get too cute at times. And the whole thing suffered by running out of time at the end. 

But watching it on DVD without a year off between seasons, it's phenomenal. Incredible cast. Incredible performances. 

To this day whenever I hear the HBO logo intro the sopranos theme song immediately pops into my head. Sort of like how the 20th century fox fanfare is so associated with Star Wars. 

I'd take The Wire over The Sopranos, but it's definitely up there.

On 4/30/2017 at 8:21 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Always thought Sop's was overrated.

agree greatly. I re watched it last year and it didnt hold up as well as id a thought. On top of that i allways thought it was kind of full of it self. 

21 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Greatest drama? Breaking bad, game of thrones, MASH, The original law and order, the west wing, the X files, friday night lights, the twilight zone, star trek, and all in the family.

I havent seen stranger things, the wire, oz,  mad men or house of cards but those are reputedly in that top tier.  DR.who isnt my cup of tea but certainly worthy of mention. Same with Roots.

The sopranos tends to fall over it self too often. Trying to make you care about the kids only to see them turn into bigger piles of junk, same with camilla. The villains allways feel soft compared to tony. Like as soon as he gets over him self he will just crush them.  It seemed too often that things happened for the sake of happening. Like the assault on his therapist. The show is really one character deep. Can you imagine any of the others having a show based around them? The mark of a great show is supporting characters soo strong they could hold up their own story. The shows listed that ive seen all have that ability. Thats even more true in a drama show.  As the bread and butter is compelling story, not comedy, action or horror.

Id take deadwood, 24, the rockford files, and soa and the next tier over sopranos as well. 

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

agree greatly. I re watched it last year and it didnt hold up as well as id a thought. On top of that i allways thought it was kind of full of it self. 

Greatest drama? Breaking bad, game of thrones, MASH, The original law and order, the west wing, the X files, friday night lights, the twilight zone, star trek, and all in the family.

I havent seen stranger things, the wire, oz,  mad men or house of cards but those are reputedly in that top tier.  DR.who isnt my cup of tea but certainly worthy of mention. Same with Roots.

The sopranos tends to fall over it self too often. Trying to make you care about the kids only to see them turn into bigger piles of junk, same with camilla. The villains allways feel soft compared to tony. Like as soon as he gets over him self he will just crush them.  It seemed too often that things happened for the sake of happening. Like the assault on his therapist. The show is really one character deep. Can you imagine any of the others having a show based around them? The mark of a great show is supporting characters soo strong they could hold up their own story. The shows listed that ive seen all have that ability. Thats even more true in a drama show.  As the bread and butter is compelling story, not comedy, action or horror.

Id take deadwood, 24, the rockford files, and soa and the next tier over sopranos as well. 

You've listed part of the core of the show as reason it was bad when it did exactly what was intended.  Making you care about kids only to have them become problems as they grow was an intended aspect of the over-all arc.  A lot of people sour on the Sopranos because Chase refused to make Tony a "good guy" or a "guy you love to hate".  He wanted to show that they were all pieces of ****.  It was a show where it was hard to root for anyone and if you did, they'd usually end up a victim (Adriana, Bobby etc).

Even Carmella.  She probably had one of the best character arcs on the show because she got to a point where she could choose to be out...and instead chose to be in.

The one thread I thought didnt get the time it deserved both being too rushed and then completely forgotten was the Doctor.  But in re-watching the series a couple of times, her arc is more clear.  And Chase does a good job of backing away from her at times, at other times having her blissfully unaware that she's actually helping Tony be a better mobster and then he implicitly showed that that was true...and then finally had her realise it even years after her own doctor tried to warn her. 

One thing I didnt pick up on until watching the series over was the relationship between the FBI agent and Tony.  It seemed almost like the FBI agent changed a lot in the final season but he was always sympathetic to Tony from the first season in more subtle ways.

I do think Chase got too cute and purposely avoided things the fans desperately wanted (the aforementioned Tony as good guy, the war with New York everyone wanted).  In some ways, if you watch Boardwalk Empire, its very similar to Sopranos if the Sopranos always "went there".  You really get a sense that the creator/writer of Boardwalk, who was a writer and producer for the Sopranos had all these ideas he couldnt use on the Sopranos and used them on Boardwalk. 

I havent seen much of Breaking Bad so I cant compare the two.  Game of Thrones?  Meh, I love GoT but one could also argue it ramps up the sex and violence to extend stories that move slower than needed.  I'd put Sopranos ahead of Games.  MASH and All In Th Family were basically sitcoms.  Law & Order?  Great show, but not a character drama.  In fact, one of its features was that it didnt care at all about its characters. 

To say Sopranos is one character deep, I mean really...that's just absurd.  Some of the finest acting on television with so many characters that had their own arcs.  The point of Dr Melfi being assaulted was to explore her character and her relationship with Tony.  We saw them get closer and closer...and she knew all she had to do was tell Tony and that rapist would be cut up into little pieces.  It was exploration of her own character and whether she could maintain her professionalism even in the face of her own victimization.  She counseled Tony, a guy who often victimized people.  And here she was, a victim.

It was one of the more powerful storylines on the show.

The Sopranos spin off I would have liked to see would have been Tony's father and young Uncle Junior.  Those flashback episodes were great.  I always thought the series would end with a more definitive future for the mob family.  I thought Meadow would end up taking over.  They definitely showed her going in that direction.

And anyone who says Sons of Anarchy is better than the Sopranos is like saying the Moose are better than the Jets.  SOA is Sopranos light in every respect.  Acting, cast, writing.  Everything.  And I own the entire SOA series and liked it.  But it was a series trying to be the Sopranos and falling short...which is not an insult.

Also, the position the Sopranos holds as the precursor to a lot of these shows cant be understated.  Yes, the Wire is there too.  But the Sopranos really took the adult drama series into the mainstream and made the idea of having premium cable (and later Netflix) a requirement to enjoying TV designed for adults.

2 minutes ago, iHeart said:

mostly just shortened seasons or ended seasons, or in case of when the expiry date was, delayed seasons

One of the issues when writers strike is that it impacts other people too.  And it can hurt production.  You cant technically alter the script at all.  So if the director wants to film something differently, he cant unless the actors "ad lib" on their own.  Definitely for the best that it was worked out.

Since Im following the production of the new Trek series, this was something that could have impacted their start date as its a limited series so they didnt want to begin airing if they didnt have all the episodes complete.

29 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

One of the issues when writers strike is that it impacts other people too.  And it can hurt production.  You cant technically alter the script at all.  So if the director wants to film something differently, he cant unless the actors "ad lib" on their own.  Definitely for the best that it was worked out.

Since Im following the production of the new Trek series, this was something that could have impacted their start date as its a limited series so they didnt want to begin airing if they didnt have all the episodes complete.

Another impact on start date? :P

Gizmodo story says it all...

http://io9.gizmodo.com/what-the-****-is-going-on-with-star-trek-discovery-1794639961

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You've listed part of the core of the show as reason it was bad when it did exactly what was intended.  Making you care about kids only to have them become problems as they grow was an intended aspect of the over-all arc.  A lot of people sour on the Sopranos because Chase refused to make Tony a "good guy" or a "guy you love to hate".  He wanted to show that they were all pieces of ****.  It was a show where it was hard to root for anyone and if you did, they'd usually end up a victim (Adriana, Bobby etc).

Even Carmella.  She probably had one of the best character arcs on the show because she got to a point where she could choose to be out...and instead chose to be in.

The one thread I thought didnt get the time it deserved both being too rushed and then completely forgotten was the Doctor.  But in re-watching the series a couple of times, her arc is more clear.  And Chase does a good job of backing away from her at times, at other times having her blissfully unaware that she's actually helping Tony be a better mobster and then he implicitly showed that that was true...and then finally had her realise it even years after her own doctor tried to warn her. 

One thing I didnt pick up on until watching the series over was the relationship between the FBI agent and Tony.  It seemed almost like the FBI agent changed a lot in the final season but he was always sympathetic to Tony from the first season in more subtle ways.

I do think Chase got too cute and purposely avoided things the fans desperately wanted (the aforementioned Tony as good guy, the war with New York everyone wanted).  In some ways, if you watch Boardwalk Empire, its very similar to Sopranos if the Sopranos always "went there".  You really get a sense that the creator/writer of Boardwalk, who was a writer and producer for the Sopranos had all these ideas he couldnt use on the Sopranos and used them on Boardwalk. 

I havent seen much of Breaking Bad so I cant compare the two.  Game of Thrones?  Meh, I love GoT but one could also argue it ramps up the sex and violence to extend stories that move slower than needed.  I'd put Sopranos ahead of Games.  MASH and All In Th Family were basically sitcoms.  Law & Order?  Great show, but not a character drama.  In fact, one of its features was that it didnt care at all about its characters. 

To say Sopranos is one character deep, I mean really...that's just absurd.  Some of the finest acting on television with so many characters that had their own arcs.  The point of Dr Melfi being assaulted was to explore her character and her relationship with Tony.  We saw them get closer and closer...and she knew all she had to do was tell Tony and that rapist would be cut up into little pieces.  It was exploration of her own character and whether she could maintain her professionalism even in the face of her own victimization.  She counseled Tony, a guy who often victimized people.  And here she was, a victim.

It was one of the more powerful storylines on the show.

The Sopranos spin off I would have liked to see would have been Tony's father and young Uncle Junior.  Those flashback episodes were great.  I always thought the series would end with a more definitive future for the mob family.  I thought Meadow would end up taking over.  They definitely showed her going in that direction.

That fundamental flaw will allways keep it from being great. That and the fact the era it came out in allowed it to shock audiences a great deal. 

The fact her weak an uninteresting story is one of the better ones out side of tony alone kills it. How many great shows are 1 character deep? 

Got does ramp up the sex and violence, but so did the sopranos for its era. The difference is you are compelled in good and bad ways about the people having sex. With out that, you have spartacus light. 

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

And anyone who says Sons of Anarchy is better than the Sopranos is like saying the Moose are better than the Jets.  SOA is Sopranos light in every respect.  Acting, cast, writing.  Everything.  And I own the entire SOA series and liked it.  But it was a series trying to be the Sopranos and falling short...which is not an insult.

Also, the position the Sopranos holds as the precursor to a lot of these shows cant be understated.  Yes, the Wire is there too.  But the Sopranos really took the adult drama series into the mainstream and made the idea of having premium cable (and later Netflix) a requirement to enjoying TV designed for adults.

The early 2 or so season of soa was hands down better then sopranos.

You can chase back precursors as far as you want, mash set up this stuff ages ago. Take away the shock and sopranos stands up far worse then it did originally. Not to mention the sopranos was and is the god father light. 

5 hours ago, Logan007 said:

Thank goodness.  This could have destroyed a lot of TV/Movies for the next 6 months to a year just like it did back in 2007-08.

No joke, the last thing televised media needs is another big influx of reality tv...

Very nice of him to share the story because realistically, he has the means to pay for whatever care his family needs.  But his point was, what if he didnt.  My little sister was born with a hole in her heart too (and other heart issues).  many open heart surgeries were needed.  So yeah we have health care but the expense of repeated trips to Toronto and London add up.

Then you face the choice of having surgery here with less skilled doctors and equipment.  if you cant afford to go to London to be seen by the best in the world, what do you do?