The TV Thread

14 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I cant stand the traditional format anymore with the laugh track etc.  bleh.  So unfunny especially when they pipe in fake laughs.

The moc doc takes getting used to.  I didnt like the office at first.  In fact, I didnt even bother giving it a second try until I started a new job and everyone talked about it the day after.  The Winnipeg episode was airing so I watched and started to love it.  Although they really screwed the pooch on the Winnipeg episode.  Do a little research.  Hell, film HERE.  Anyway...

Modern Family is really funny although I find its been crossing into being a little too absurd at times.  But its a tremendous cast.

Goldbergs is maybe my favourite right now.  That guy gets the 80's.  Apparently there is a spin off coming about the 90's.

I watched the Office and did not mind it. For a while, it was the funniest thing on network TV. But it only worked for a while. What was the point of the documentary after a few years? I know at the end, they "launched" the doc in the show but that was weird.

I don't think it works at all with Modern Family. Why is a film crew following them around? Get rid of the faux-doc format.

I haven't seen the Goldbergs yet but, with your recommendation, maybe I will.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Sooooo.....just checking.......how many people here watch Schitt's Creek?

It's the type of show that I think I would enjoy but I just have never watched it. Love Catherine O'Hara but I can only take so much Eugene Levy.

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

I watched the Office and did not mind it. For a while, it was the funniest thing on network TV. But it only worked for a while. What was the point of the documentary after a few years? I know at the end, they "launched" the doc in the show but that was weird.

I don't think it works at all with Modern Family. Why is a film crew following them around? Get rid of the faux-doc format.

I haven't seen the Goldbergs yet but, with your recommendation, maybe I will.

Goldbergs is great.  "Sweeter" than many sitcoms now as it doesnt have sexual situations at all.  The gimmick is that the creator based the show on his own life and the episodes are based on real events he filmed as a film-junkie in the 80's when he was a kid.  So they often show real home video or photos from his life that relate to the episode.  And occasionally the real life version of a character will cameo. 

For example, the series is narrated by the youngest sibling (like The Wonder Years).  Last night, the episode was about him meeting a girl with similar interests and going to her junior prom.  During the episode the girl's mother appeared.  At the end, they showed a photo the real life creator with the real life girl at the prom and the real life girl, now grown up, played the girl's mother in the episode.

Its sometimes absurd.  But plays the 80's stuff pretty straight and has a sweetness to it that is pretty emotionally fulfilling at the end.

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I was thinking about it, and I think BBT is pretty much the only sitcom I watch. I used to watch so many back in the day, but we mostly watch procedurals and dramas in the evening....BBT the only real sitcom on our PVR list...

Same here... almost zero sitcoms in our house anymore.  BBT is the only one we still watch regularly (Letterkenny as well but the seasons are super short).

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Sooooo.....just checking.......how many people here watch Schitt's Creek?

Watched the 1st episode on the weekend.  I didn't love it but I didn't hate it.  The wife wasn't a big fan either so we'll give it a few episodes more to see if it grows on us.

4 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Watched the 1st episode on the weekend.  I didn't love it but I didn't hate it.  The wife wasn't a big fan either so we'll give it a few episodes more to see if it grows on us.

See, I WANNA like it, based on the cast, but I have absolutely no idea what's supposed to be funny about it. I tried watching the first couple eps of season 1, and I just went "...da fuhh...."  I got nothin'........like most people, I've enjoyed Levy, O'Hara and Elliot in a lot of things, but this........I just don't understand it at all.

ah man, I thought of another sitcom: Last Man On Earth with Will Forte. Love that show. So, for the record, our PVR recording sched looks like this:

Monday -- Gotham

Tuesday -- SHIELD, This Is Us

Wednesday --  SVU, Criminal Minds, Lethal Weapon, Designated Survivor

Thursday -- Big Bang Theory

Saturday -- SNL

Sunday -- Last Man On Earth 

The gf has some stupid **** of her own she watches, but this is the basis of our PVR slate....

Im not even sure I can remember my TV schedule...lol

Monday: RAW (gf doesnt like anymore so we usually catch up on the PVR and I watch RAW on FF before bed)

Tuesday: The New Girl (occasionally Smackdown)

Wednesday: Goldbergs, Modern Family, SVU, Designated Survivor, Mindy Project

Thursday: Nothing

Friday: Dateline, Blue Bloods

Saturday: Nothing

Sunday: The Walking Dead, Crashing, Big Little Lies, The Good Fight

And I often PVR Young and the Restless but dont always watch (same with Dr Phil, just to have something on the PVR for when Im bored).

When they air: Game of Thrones, The Affair, OITNB, House of Cards....probably forgetting some.

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im not even sure I can remember my TV schedule...lol

Monday: RAW (gf doesnt like anymore so we usually catch up on the PVR and I watch RAW on FF before bed)

Tuesday: The New Girl (occasionally Smackdown)

Wednesday: Goldbergs, Modern Family, SVU, Designated Survivor, Mindy Project

Thursday: Nothing

Friday: Dateline, Blue Bloods

Saturday: Nothing

Sunday: The Walking Dead, Crashing, Big Little Lies, The Good Fight

And I often PVR Young and the Restless but dont always watch (same with Dr Phil, just to have something on the PVR for when Im bored).

When they air: Game of Thrones, The Affair, OITNB, House of Cards....probably forgetting some.

ya the GF has Days taping every day, and Supergirl on Mondays, I believe....oi vey....

Noeller you watch Lethal Weapon?  I tried watching an episode but I just couldn't get into it.  I just don't feel the connection like the old Murtaugh and Riggs.

I'm not sure when these shows come on, some I continue to watch because my wife likes it, others we both enjoy.

Just me:

- Iron Fist (finally got internet), Arrow, Agents of Shield, and The 100 (also old Star Trek, Friends and Corner Gas episodes)

My kids and I:

- The Flash and Star Wars Rebels (use to watch Supergirl but some of the content got sketchy for my kids in season 2)

Wife and I:

- Scorpion

- Once Upon A Time (mostly for her)

- This is Us

- Gotham

- Gilmore Girls (shut up I like it...this is an old show but we never watched it so we use this as filler when other shows aren't on)

- The Big Bang Theory

- Modern Family (only Faux show I don't mind...but the last few years it's been losing it's luster)

- The Odd Couple (it's ok...not great but it does the trick when you need a comedy)

Honorable mention, the new comedy Man With a Plan with Matt Leblanc is ok.  Not really watching it, just every once in a while.

The GF still watched Once Upon A Time but I dropped out during Season 2.  Although I admit its a brilliant concept and very well made show with a great cast.  I just couldnt stay invested in it.  Sounds like its stretching its own concept to the limit though.  How long before they end up with Mickey Mouse on the show?

Logan -- Love Lethal Weapon. Full disclosure: I'd probably watch Damon Wayans in anything, and he's outstanding in this show. I was surprised how much I like the new Riggs...and they have great chemistry. I've always been a procedurals guy, and this one has a lot of pop to it. It's like early CSI before it got really stupid. And has a bigger, movie-style budget. It's a good, mid-week fun watch, for sure...

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The GF still watched Once Upon A Time but I dropped out during Season 2.  Although I admit its a brilliant concept and very well made show with a great cast.  I just couldnt stay invested in it.  Sounds like its stretching its own concept to the limit though.  How long before they end up with Mickey Mouse on the show?

Yeah, I'm getting tired of it but my wife wants to watch it so...  But yeah, I liked it up until last year.  They drag a story out all year long and in the last show clean everything up so easily.

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

Logan -- Love Lethal Weapon. Full disclosure: I'd probably watch Damon Wayans in anything, and he's outstanding in this show. I was surprised how much I like the new Riggs...and they have great chemistry. I've always been a procedurals guy, and this one has a lot of pop to it. It's like early CSI before it got really stupid. And has a bigger, movie-style budget. It's a good, mid-week fun watch, for sure...

major pain never fails to make me laugh. Easily the best talent that family has to offer imop.

Trailer park boys went out late last night. s11 imop is better then s10 not as good as 9. better then tpb europe. The casting changes didnt hurt the show imop though it does seem to be missing some support now. The show in general needs to be turned over to a writer and show runner more imop. Needs a better direction. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

major pain never fails to make me laugh. Easily the best talent that family has to offer imop.

Trailer park boys went out late last night. s11 imop is better then s10 not as good as 9. better then tpb europe. The casting changes didnt hurt the show imop though it does seem to be missing some support now. The show in general needs to be turned over to a writer and show runner more imop. Needs a better direction. 

Have not watched the show since they patched things up with Lahey and that was end of season 7?

2 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

if for no other reason you need to keep watching just for the Liquor Snurf in season 9

Image result for the liquor snurf

thats the truth. s9 was one of the best of the new seasons. 

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Have not watched the show since they patched things up with Lahey and that was end of season 7?

7 is the kind of happy ending that was the end of the show on tv. They did the special say good night to the bad guys after that and then did the swearnet thing. season 8 was pretty good too.  

15 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Rick and Morty airred a sneak season 3 premiere yesterday on adultswim. Found the full episode on dailymotion website and it was pretty good. I dont think the rest will be released until summer tho unfortunately

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who didn't bother following the link initially because it was April Fool's... it's just like Dan Harmon and co. to pull a stunt like that. Very funny episode. Love this show.