The Restaurant thread

Had The Keg on the weekend.  Fantastic as always.  However, is strong cheese not popular in this town?  I was disappointed when Chop changed their very strong gorgonzola-stuffed steak into merely a weak-tasting sauce.  And Im sure Keg's bleu cheese steak used to be stronger (it was always a coverage rather than stuffed).  Round Table is similar.  I like the uber-strong taste!

I have not been the same since Kelekis closed. Hot dog and fries did not get better than that. I always enjoy going to Pasquales on Marion never had anything I did not like.

My favorite hot dog in the city is at Dairy Wip.  I love it.  Hot dog, chili, onions, some mustard and the big pickle on top.  So delicious....

299236.gif

Whooooo cares who owns what, it's **** service and **** food, sorry to say.  Too bad, it's a waste of a rooftop patio.

Well, Ace Burpee is a well-known and respected radio broadcaster. I don't know how he can tolerate the level of anger and vehemence towards his first foray into the burger biz.

There's actually a broadcaster in Winnipeg named Ace Burpee? That can't be his real name. if it is he must've been one tough SOB just to get thru high school. 

Whooooo cares who owns what, it's **** service and **** food, sorry to say.  Too bad, it's a waste of a rooftop patio.

Well, Ace Burpee is a well-known and respected radio broadcaster. I don't know how he can tolerate the level of anger and vehemence towards his first foray into the burger biz.

There's actually a broadcaster in Winnipeg named Ace Burpee? That can't be his real name. if it is he must've been one tough SOB just to get thru high school. 

David 'Ace' Burpee. Started out at CJOB after going thru RRCC creative communications. Lasted about a year at OB.

Ended up morning man at top-rated sugar-pop station Hot 103 FM. . . now Virgin radio. .  . part of the TSN 1290 collective.

Great community guy with super personality. Does tons of charity work.

Not the greatest voice in the world (so he won't be lured to other markets) but combination of being "Winnipeg's Ryan Seacrest" and local charity work makes him Winnipeg's top radio DJ. (and probably highest paid now that Anderson got offed by CJOB)

What's Barley Brothers? Is  that like a brew pub? Sounds interesting. Coorsman lives near that location, so we might have to pop in when we're home this summer...

Its a craft beer restaurant.  Located in the old Kelsey's in St James.  Their gimmick is they have a huge number of craft beers on tap.  They dont even carry mainstream beers (I think).  And their food is often cooked with beer too I think.  I liked their burger and fries.

The Earls location is a lot bigger though and with the rent there, they will have to be very successful.  If Earl's didnt feel it was worth it, not sure BB's will.  But it will be something different for the area.

There are a few not listed here and living in Regina makes me miss them even more. South Ocean Chinese and Calabria by the old Covergys. South Ocean best Szechwan Chicken I have ever had and the Pizza or Deli sandwichs at Calabria are both awesome. As for Burgers, for me it is either Dairy Delight or as a St. James boy I still have a soft spot for the Red Boot. Favorite Nacho's goes to Classic's pool hall. But I will be back at the end of July and trying new stuff.

Barley Bros is cool for the beer.  Only problem is they don't have a sampler package.  I'm hesitant to pay $8 for a beer that I might not like, and in a place like that I'd like to spread my cash around and taste a few different beers which I haven't tried before.  Every other similar craft beer pub I've been to in my travels has at least one, and most have a variety of sampler packages.

Food was meh and relatively expensive...the option of frozen mashed potatoes (my choice) or a heap of cabbage with a burger was odd, I remember that more than the beer I drank.

They have a 4 beer sampler package.  Cant remember the cost.  Im not a beer person so I told the server to surprise me.  I really enjoyed the Hopitmus Prime.  Both times I've been I had burger and fries and enjoyed them.  Really liked the Sweet Potato fries.  Not gourmet or anything but good bar food.

There are a few not listed here and living in Regina makes me miss them even more. South Ocean Chinese and Calabria by the old Covergys. South Ocean best Szechwan Chicken I have ever had and the Pizza or Deli sandwichs at Calabria are both awesome. As for Burgers, for me it is either Dairy Delight or as a St. James boy I still have a soft spot for the Red Boot. Favorite Nacho's goes to Classic's pool hall. But I will be back at the end of July and trying new stuff.

Calabria's is pretty good.  My nephew worked there for a while.  I love the store more then the pizza they serve with all the cool oils and deli meats they have.

Has anyone tried out Papa Murphy's pizza?  The one where you take it home and bake it there?

Interested in this since I live in Oakbank and that way the pizza stays hot, right out of the oven.

Yessir.. It's pretty good to be honest.. As good as delivery if you cook it right lol. Worth the price tho and have some decent deals.. Also, the deep dish is very tasty..

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried Obby Khan's juice store in Osborne Village? I've been there twice. Once before the flood and once after.

Had a smoothie first time - excellent. They use almond milk not commercial processed stuff like Booster J does.

Had a Kale and Carrot concoction the 2nd time. Pure cold-pressed juice. A bit pricey but I suspect all juice bars are in the same range - $6 to $9 depending on size. Getting better reviews that Shawarma Khan....

I went to 5 Guys on Regent for a 2nd time.... I still came away unimpressed.   

17 dollars for a bacon burger + reg fries + drink is ridiculous.     The patties were smaller then McDonalds regular hamburger patties....   the meat has no spices or anything added to it....  the toppings were nice but no different then what they offer at Harveys.   The fries are nice but not outstanding.

I have no idea why anyone would pay that much when for half the price you can have double the amount of food at Zaxx or Dairy Delight and those places actually have chili and flavour in its burgers.    

Big thumbs down for 5 Guys from me.  

I went to 5 Guys on Regent for a 2nd time.... I still came away unimpressed.   

17 dollars for a bacon burger + reg fries + drink is ridiculous.     The patties were smaller then McDonalds regular hamburger patties....   the meat has no spices or anything added to it....  the toppings were nice but no different then what they offer at Harveys.   The fries are nice but not outstanding.

I have no idea why anyone would pay that much when for half the price you can have double the amount of food at Zaxx or Dairy Delight and those places actually have chili and flavour in its burgers.    

Big thumbs down for 5 Guys from me.  

Thats a lotta coin for burger and fries. Harveys gives you an Angus burger (bigger than 1/4 lb.) plus fries or rings + drink for less than 9 bucks. Smaller burger under 8....