The Restaurant thread

Agreed.  I haven't been to any of those 3 places in years ( I don't actually know anyone who has either) so I'm amazed they are still open - Foody Goody more than Royal Fork or Cathay House.  The number of health violations Foody Goody & Cathay House have been hit with over the years is staggering, you could not pay to eat there.

Mongos is fantastic... my only complaint is the layout (at both Regent & Kenaston).  If you go at a peak time, the line can snake around the food bars right to the front doors.  That's what happened the last time I went, we couldn't tell which line was for food and which line was just people waiting to be seated.  I guess that's a good problem for them to have since it means they are doing a lot of business, but it also means a loss of business (we went elsewhere because we didn't want to wait in those kinds of lines).

Royal Fork was good about 20 years ago when they had fresh cooked homecooked items....   now it's digusting and only fun to visit to witness all the extremely obese people destroy trays full of food.

Mongos is my favorite place by a long mile...  I find the best time to go is either at 11 or just after 1..... you get the lunch prices and no line ups at all.   

Where is Buffet Square?

North end of McPhillips on the west side of the street, up around the Jefferson area.  Forced to eat there a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised.  Just like any other acre-sized buffet restaurant, individual items in the trough can be very hit and miss quality-wise (chicken balls looked very unpleasant), but they have a made-to-order stir fry guy in the back who does a decent job.  Combine that with a few of the better items they have available and you can cobble together a pretty decent meal.

When I want a buffet restaurant I drive down to Grand Forks or Fargo and go to Golden Corral.

There are just no good buffet restaurants in Winnipeg.  Agree with Brandon about Royal Forks, when it first opened, was good.  Now they charge ridiculous amounts of money for a shitty meal.  Forget that noise.

Is Skinners in Lockport still around? I hear Wet 'n Wild is closed down... Okay, okay, I've been gone a long time...

Skinners is alive and well - I go there because they have blue licorice ice cream (blue tongue is the bane of my wife's existence)

Half Moon around the corner is pretty great too.

I hate both of those places.  I don't know how you guys can go there.  It's not that the food is bad, it's just that there's nothing to them.  I can make a burger at home that tastes better then that crap.

The best buffet ever was a place called Steak and Buffet in Aberdeen, South Dakota.  We just randomly found the place.

A buffet with tons of selection, with steak and patties made to order on a grill at the end. All for $10!

I would've gladly paid at least $25

Best burger - go to Johnny's on Marion.

Golden Corral in Grand Forks and Fargo both closed down I believe.  I was going to make a road trip just for buffet after hearing about that place but Im pretty sure I deduced they were gone now.

Fargo one is still open. Not sure about grand forks.

Johnny's on Marion great.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/11/best-restaurants-winnipeg_n_5578967.html

The Huffington Post put this online last night. Heavy on the swank, it's high praise for the gourmet restaurants in Winnipeg.

I can't stand lists like this sometimes.  LOL...when they say VJ's drive in is one of the 23 best restaurants in Winnipeg, I know they didn't do their job.  That is one of the worst burgers IMO.  If they'd have said Johnny's on Marion, Dairy Delight, or even Dairy Wip or Mrs. Mike's, I'd have said ok.  But VJ's?  BLAH!  What a shithole.

529's is good.  Been to Bistro 7 1/4 and thought it was sub par.  The rest really I haven't tried yet.

I find hermanos too salty. I like pleasant cookery but their house old fashion is really nothing more than a whisky sour with some soda. Also the 'airshipped' mussels have been fishier there than at infernos and other places.

Segovia must be good cause I've never managed to get it. Before they took reservations I tried to meet a few ladies there and it was always too packed to get it in. 'Oh it's a an hour and a half wait, lets just have some wine at my place and come back in a little bit'

Ended up in Osborne Village this afternoon so I tried Burrito Del Rio for a 2nd time. First time was VG+, this time even better.

Had the medium beef burrito with hot sauce, sour cream, corn, etc. Sets up at $7.55

Had a Miller's extra lite from the LC for $2 to top it off. Beer and Burrito for under $10.